PDA

View Full Version : The Infamous Party SNG Wave

xPuns1her
05-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Ok, this is a little bit of a vent for me so bare with me. Almsot down to a science, like clockwork if you will, I will win for a week or so in the SNG. I will hit cards, my hands will hold, and I'll play smart. Then, all of sudden, as if coming in on que, I will begin to get destroyed. I will still play smart, but my hands wont hold, I wont hit cards, and eventually you can throw in a bit of tilt in there, making a call or two I normally wouldnt. Eventually by the time this cold streak has slowed down I've lost more than I gained in my good streak. It seems there is never a normal curve in SNG's. It's like on of those wave diagrams in highschool but the bottom part goes alot lower than the crest. It just seems a little odd to me thats all. Lets make it clear that i DONT believe Party is rigged in this sense that it makes one fish win over another person. However, could their RNG or anything else be accidently set in these waves where without knowing it the RNG is stuck in these patterns. I dont mean to sound stupid or like a lunatic but this is just a possible theory of mine.

lorinda
05-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Get a normal 6-sided die.

#1 is $50
#2 is $25

the other four numbers are $0

Throwing the die costs you $11.
Keep score for 2000 throws and see how the waves go, you'll see that it's normal to spot patterns that aren't really there.

Lori

Eric Draven
05-08-2005, 02:51 PM
I go on similar streaks at Pokerstars, however I think it's just variance (and the fact I suck)... It could be some programing flaw or somthing, but I highly doubt it.

xPuns1her
05-08-2005, 02:53 PM
I thought it was normal variance too like Lorinda points out. But these waves for me come so often, literally like clockwork, that the pattern would definatly stand out to anyone that saw the results. It just seems to accurate and precise to be variance.

Elektrik
05-08-2005, 02:55 PM
The higher stakes players on party have been aware of this "wave" feature for quite some time, and it has a significant impact on your results. Most players do not have the ability to detect when this wave his is hitting them. However, many of the more successful players online, including Gigabet and ZeeJustin, got to be that way by figuring out this way and adjusting their play according. Why else would Gigabet reraise with Q4o in the Step 5 Higher? He knew the wave had hit his crest near that time; his oppoent, well aware of this, wisely folded.

Newer players must learn about about this to truly be "great" sng players who play the step 5's for the living. Players like raptor are developing a feel for it, but have not obtained it yet. I suspect that once he does he'll be up there in the 15k's as well.

lorinda
05-08-2005, 02:56 PM
It is also possible that you play a little too loose when you've been running well, and a little too tight when you've been running badly.

Lori

Larimani
05-08-2005, 02:57 PM
This is the most stupid thing I've ever heard. Sorry to be harsh but it is.

Just realised you must be joking

twoplustwosux
05-08-2005, 02:58 PM
It makes perfect sense. Business sense that is. Party let's you win a little, lose a little - feeds the addiction and when they do bust you out, you'll reload and keep paying rake.

The people on this site suck anyway - you should check this (http://www.recpoker.com) out.

The Yugoslavian
05-08-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the most stupid thing I've ever heard. Sorry to be harsh but it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not....

Unfortunately you don't see why, /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Yugoslav
PS You must not be very familiar with Elektrik....

Freudian
05-08-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was normal variance too like Lorinda points out. But these waves for me come so often, literally like clockwork, that the pattern would definatly stand out to anyone that saw the results. It just seems to accurate and precise to be variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have these waves also. Luckily for me the sea slopes upwards.

raptor517
05-08-2005, 03:26 PM
once he stops playing pai gow he will have a better shot as well.. playing sngs at ANY level, poker at any level for that matter, involves a great deal of variance. it takes a GREAT deal of patience to be able to handle the swings of a professional poker player. dont get me wrong, i have very little patience, and i cant stand losing, but im learning to live with it. i guess im starting to realize that if i didnt lose sometimes, i wouldnt have a way to make this much money without going to school and getting a real job. im gettin there tho, and hopefully ill be able to handle myself a BIT better in the future when im running bad /images/graemlins/wink.gif holla

Blarg
05-08-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try to play less when you feel like you are noticing waves of any sort.

DonButtons
05-08-2005, 06:22 PM
No offense, but I dont think you got what it takes to handle the little variance of sngs.

I saw in the chat of in a couple 109s today, you berating other people for dumb plays, and what not. I suggest you ask empire to ban your chat for like 10 days, it will work wonders for you, once you get used to it.

raptor517
05-08-2005, 06:55 PM
donbuttons wouldnt happen to know from experience of having chat banned would he? /images/graemlins/wink.gif holla

Voltron87
05-08-2005, 07:00 PM
its pretty simple.

thinking like you are in your post is -EV.

just playing good poker and not worrying about streaks and bad beats and staying focused is +EV.