PDA

View Full Version : I don't get F1

Corey
05-08-2005, 02:19 PM
I'm not a NASCAR fan nor am I trying to argue that left turn monkeys are in any way exciting.

However, what's up with F1?

I 100% recognize F1 cars are beautfiul pieces of machinery and represent the finest in engineering and design. However, that doesn't mean the races are exciting. I have the Spanish Grand Prix on the in the background right now (I'm sure it was taped earlier) and it seems the only time someone changes place in the grid is due to driver error or mechanical default.

Passing is non-existant. Well, except when you're lapping places 8 and down every 10 laps. It just seems so much is decided in qualifying and initial grid placement. Is this track just not suited for "action"? I wondered why F1 never caught on in the US. Now that I've watched over 2/3 of a race, I understand why.

fluxrad
05-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Yeah, it's lame compared to the fast paced action of baseball.

Sorry but sometimes it can be seriously tense. The last 15 minutes of Immola with Schumaker chasing Alonso basically got my girlfriend hooked.

When these guys do pass eachother, it's by tenths of an inch and the slightest mistake can be catastrophic (e.g. last year's U.S. GP when Ralph Schumaker went into the wall at 150mph). Another point is that the cars and drivers are so close together as far as ability is concerned that the only thing that will win you a race is racing on a near perfect line. It's that perfection that draws the crowds.

Idunno - I'm rambling. I got the Spanish GP going on Tivo and I'm about to watch it.

And like it or not, Michael Schumaker is the highest paid athlete on the planet. Someone's got to like the sport /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Jazza
05-08-2005, 02:46 PM
i'm with fluxrad here, i think F1 is hawt

i was hooked after my gf dragged me down to melbourne to see it up close

btw is is fcukin LOUD

Duke
05-08-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a NASCAR fan nor am I trying to argue that left turn monkeys are in any way exciting.

However, what's up with F1?

I 100% recognize F1 cars are beautfiul pieces of machinery and represent the finest in engineering and design. However, that doesn't mean the races are exciting. I have the Spanish Grand Prix on the in the background right now (I'm sure it was taped earlier) and it seems the only time someone changes place in the grid is due to driver error or mechanical default.

Passing is non-existant. Well, except when you're lapping places 8 and down every 10 laps. It just seems so much is decided in qualifying and initial grid placement. Is this track just not suited for "action"? I wondered why F1 never caught on in the US. Now that I've watched over 2/3 of a race, I understand why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, nobody ever goes to IRL or CART races. They're not exactly the same thing, but the cars are close as far as specs.

~D

BottlesOf
05-08-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Michael Schumaker is the highest paid athlete on the planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, is this really true? How much? Do you have a source I could read?

fluxrad
05-08-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$80m per season at last count. Ferrari pays him ~$40m a year which is the highest salary of anyone. Including endorsements and whatnot it would appear Tiger Woods just beat Schuey by $300k. link action (http://www.forbes.com/athletes2004/LIR5WRJ.html?passListId=2&passYear=2004&passListTy pe=Person&uniqueId=5WRJ&datatype=Person).

God I worship that man's driving skills.

Duke
05-08-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's made close to a billion dollars. This is counting everything (endorsements and all that too). Let me find a link.

EDIT: Someone already found one for his annual income.

~D

Corey
05-08-2005, 03:15 PM
I understand the beauty of the race. I understand some of what the drivers do is a marvel of physics and engineering. I equate these races to games in the NBA. I'll watch the last five laps/five minutes. Sure, I won't understand everything that led to the final outcome, but I get most of it.

I'm not trying to knock F1, I just pointing out the fact I now know why isn't doesn't compare to NASCAR in terms of $$ in the US. The hoi polloi would much rather watch two people try to make each other crash instead of watching a European dude shave a tenth of his previous lap.

Corey
05-08-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And like it or not, Michael Schumaker is the highest paid athlete on the planet. Someone's got to like the sport /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And if the rest of the world's high profile athletes could be half the quality of a person as Schumacher, the world would be a much better place. I recognize that as well.