PDA

View Full Version : Pot Odds in SNGs

minwoo
05-08-2005, 01:43 PM
So I'm trying to get through finals and have forced myself not to play ANY poker until finals are done with. Consequently, since I can't play any poker, I can't stop thinking about it!

As I mentioned before I'm not too familiar with the math/models/odds in poker. I mean I know when to chase a flush and basic stuff like that. But as far as recognizing that I am getting good odds to call an all-in w/ overcards, underpair, whatever....I can really use some help.

So here are some questions I have regarding the MINIMUM pot odds required to make a call:

Assume blinds are somewhat significant (50/100 would be a good level for that I guess).

1. Preflop, if you KNOW that SB has pushed w/ KK - 22, and you look down at A2o (ONE overcard), what is the minimum pot odds needed to call?

2. Preflop, same situation except SB is pushing w/ A9 and you hold K2 - K8.

3. Preflop, this time SB pushes w/ A2 and you have KQ- K3.

4. Post flop, what pot odds do you need to call an all-in w/ overcards? ie: flop of 3s 5c Jh, you know your opponent has top pair and you hold KQ.

5. Do you guys think pot odds are really relevent to tournament poker? I kind of tend to agree with the ICM that pot odds don't apply because the chips in a tournament don't actually hold cash values.

Well, any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

I truly hope I don't break down before my last exam and start up four $55s /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cry Me A River
05-08-2005, 04:32 PM
1-4: www.twodimes.net (http://www.twodimes.net)
5: They are when you're not involved in a "key hand". Pot odds are still significant in a "key hand" just not so much so.

A "key hand" is a hand where:

A) Your entire stack will be at risk.
B) A significant portion of your stack will be at risk (You will be crippled if you loose).
C) You can bust someone out, particularly bubble/ITM and particularly if the chips involved are not significant to your stack.
D) Your stack situation is desperate with respect to the blinds, particulary if you have FE or need to maintain FE.
E) You can greatly improve your chances of finishing deep ITM.

For example, let's say I'm getting exactly pot odds to call with a nut flush draw. However, it's for my entire stack (which is otherwise healthy), we're far from the bubble and the pot itself is a small one. I'm folding here.

OTOH, it's the bubble, I'm mid stacked with the same nut flush draw heads-up against a short stack who pushes. I don't quite have odds to call, however the amount of the call is trivial to my stack, if I call and shorty wins it's not nearly enough to put him back in the thick of things and big stack has been blind stealing and bullying the whole bubble. I'm calling here despite the pot odds.