PDA

View Full Version : overpair play

iluzion
05-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Still a new tourney player..

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t2475)
Hero (t1440)
UTG (t1892)
MP1 (t1380)
MP2 (t1150)
CO (t1410)
Button (t3753)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls t20, Button calls t20, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, CO calls t40, Button calls t40, SB calls t40.

Flop: (t240) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t160</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t320</font>, SB folds, Hero calls t160.

Turn: (t880) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t500</font>, Button calls t500.

Turn said if he had flush draw, I'm dead, but from what I've seen of him, I didn't expect him to bet/raise a draw on the flop. I figured still that hes on a pocket pair, maybe two pair (god I hope not), or TPTK. I am folding to a raise here.

River: (t1880) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t560 (All-In)</font>, Button calls t560.

I knew if I checked this to him, hed see weakness and bet into me, so I might as well do it my self, right?

Final Pot: t3000

willperkins
05-08-2005, 12:21 PM
IMHO

I would have raised more preflop (3XBB + the limpers), although it would not have made any difference because he would probably call anyway.

Flop bet and call are good.

Turn bet is ok, since you want to give him incorrect odds to draw to a flush, if he still needs another card to make the flush. However, since betting t500 is 40% of my stack, if I was going to bet, I would go ahead and "push".

My other choice is to check/fold to a bet if I think he has hit the flush. Did you have any kind of read on him? He has a big stack. How did he get it? It would make a difference in what I would do.

valenzuela
05-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Raise more preflop, re-raise all-in postflop, post buy-in next time plz.

Im suppossing this is a low buy-in. Anyway you have to bet like t100 to thin the field, anyway your plays gets a bit dubious on the flop you should have reraised all-in ,there are 17 cards in the deck waiting to make ur life miserable(a,k,heart)now the play gets horrible by the time we reach the turn, u either push, check/call or u check/fold but plz dont bet half of ur stack unless im on ur table. If you get re-raised all-in you preety much have to call so isnt it better to just go all-in?? Anyway the river play is fine.

Btw this is just my opinion if you think Im wrong fight back dont take what we say as the absolute truth.

iluzion
05-08-2005, 12:44 PM
How did he get his stack? Was a little distracted until a few hands before this point by family stuff going on, so the only thing I saw was him aggressivly playing a strong hand and showing down for a decent sized pot.

Buyin size was $5+.50 (Sorry, I assumed the converter showed this)

So anytime I am going to or supposed to make a bet that is 40% or more of my stack, I should just push? My reasoning behind not betting more than that, is I wanted him to call if he had anything like JT, QT, or something weaker than me that isn't as likely to draw out on me.

valenzuela
05-08-2005, 01:25 PM
The only reason to not obey the 40% rule( I would say 30% preflop) is because u have an unbeatable hand and want to get paid.

Elektrik
05-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Raise more preflop in an effort to get it HU on the flop. If the limpers called for 20 they'll call for 40 more.

On that flop, bet like 2/3 the pot, push if raised.

Eric Draven
05-08-2005, 02:33 PM
I'm a bit of a n00b myself, but here's my assessment of the hand:

1) Raise more Pre-Flop, 60 is the usually opening raise, but with 3 limpers 60 is a pretty small raise with QQ in my opinion.
2) This is read is very important. What do you put him on? Flush Draw? Slowplaying a big pair (AA, KK, JJ)? A set (10s, 8s)? A weaker hand (A10, A8)? I think I re-raise here to see where I stand, being prepared to push or call all-in here to a re-raise if you don't believe he has AA, KK, or a set. At the $5.50 I find many bad players will call an all-in here with Ace/10 or a mediocre Flush draw.

But hey, what do I know...