PDA

View Full Version : Gwen Stefani's new video

handsome
05-08-2005, 06:13 AM
I just watched it like 20 minutes ago and I love it. really really catchy.

Here it is for anyone who hasn't watched it already: http://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=13ERL5QZIVYQV125BJ66AT5IM6

Pocket Trips
05-08-2005, 06:15 AM
i hate the song but will watche the vid muted cuz i really wanna do some things to her w/ a turkey baster

Jack of Arcades
05-08-2005, 06:15 AM
You can find it on Y! Launch.

Gwen Stefani (http://music.yahoo.com/ar-308637---Gwen-Stefani)

Rushmore
05-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Gwen Stefani has done nothing in her illustrious solo career other than confirm beyond the shadow of a doubt that all of her ska/punk origins were poseurish bullshit.

I don't watch MTV or any of those channels anymore, but from time to time, I'll catch something in passing, and I just happen to have caught the thing on the boat and the most recent thing, and both are absolutely awful dreck.

thatpfunk
05-08-2005, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Gwen Stefani has done nothing in her illustrious solo career other than confirm beyond the shadow of a doubt that all of her ska/punk origins were poseurish bullshit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe people change over time?

Rushmore
05-08-2005, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Or maybe people change over time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, people change over time.

For that reason, I cannot tell you how pleased I was when David Bowie and Mick Jagger did that stirring rendition of "Dancing in the Streets" oh so long ago. I really enjoyed acknowledging how they had "changed over time."

And hey--my point was that Gwen Stefani was never legit anyway. So I guess it shouldn't be any big surprise that she has chosen to make the logical move from punk (music born of revolution and nonconformity and anger) to, uh, whatever this lousy dance R+B P. Diddy costumed nonsense is.

I especially enjoy the parts where she shakes her ass around all sassy like. I think Joe Strummer made that move famous, right?

thatpfunk
05-08-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

And hey--my point was that Gwen Stefani was never legit anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is stupid for me to argue since I don't care for the either her band or her, but legit according to who? They never were considered a punk act. They were emo-ska kids from Orange County. They never claimed to be anything more than that and no one called them more than that.

They were hugely popular playing poppy-ska-emo tunes and believing that they, or anyone else for that matter, had a greater aspirations for their band is just silly.

Rushmore
05-08-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is stupid for me to argue since I don't care for the either her band or her, but legit according to who? They never were considered a punk act. They were emo-ska kids from Orange County. They never claimed to be anything more than that and no one called them more than that.

They were hugely popular playing poppy-ska-emo tunes and believing that they, or anyone else for that matter, had a greater aspirations for their band is just silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it is silly to discuss this, yet here i am discussing it.

Awhile back, I saw the Behind The Music about No Doubt. Guess I was hungover or something.

Anyway, there is a WHOLE lot of talk of "staying true to our roots," etc etc. They played shows with punk bands, and they were in the "scene." There is a lot of heavy old-school ska referencing going on.

Maybe I'm just very hard on sellouts in general, and punk scene sellouts in particular.

Or maybe I just despise the kind of crap she's doing now even more than the watered-down stuff from before.

I mean, it's abysmal.

BeerMoney
05-08-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awhile back, I saw the Behind The Music about No Doubt. Guess I was hungover or something.

Anyway, there is a WHOLE lot of talk of "staying true to our roots," etc etc. They played shows with punk bands, and they were in the "scene." There is a lot of heavy old-school ska referencing going on.

Maybe I'm just very hard on sellouts in general, and punk scene sellouts in particular.

Or maybe I just despise the kind of crap she's doing now even more than the watered-down stuff from before.

I mean, it's abysmal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care for that most recent song either.. I must say, its one of the WORST SONGS I'VE EVER HEARD.

But, she's making money. If she's making money, I'm not going to fault her. Some athletes play beyond their prime.. But, if they make $3 mill/year, its pretty hard to tell them they should stop.

thatpfunk
05-08-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, this is all relative to one's perceptions. I don't consider Blink 182, Green Day, etc to be "punk." These are the types of bands they were playing with.

Also, Gwen Stefani does not equal No Doubt, so I would imagine she is able to take her own liberties here without "selling out." But I don't really see how thats possible since they've been on a major label their entire careers?

fsuplayer
05-08-2005, 11:02 AM
jeez, she looks 'effin good in this video.

handsome
05-08-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
jeez, she looks 'effin good in this video.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur.

Rushmore
05-08-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Once again, this is all relative to one's perceptions. I don't consider Blink 182, Green Day, etc to be "punk." These are the types of bands they were playing with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's not like I thought they were playing with the UK Subs or GG Allin, for crying out loud.

But Green day, regardless of what they have become (which is nowhere NEAR as bad as some others), at least started at Gilman, and were definitely in the spirit of the thing, whatever that means.

I couldn't tell you anything about Blink 182 or Good Charlotte or any of the new punkpop bands, but I assume I wouldn't care much for them.

Anyway, not a fan of Gwen Stefani, except as maybe a businesswoman.

Voltron87
05-08-2005, 12:13 PM
She's making millions of dollars, I'd shake my ass for that much money, but her music and videos and general presence are just inane. How can anyone take her seriously?

Jack of Arcades
05-08-2005, 12:15 PM
So catchy.

peachy
05-08-2005, 12:39 PM
ive always thought shes gorgeous

IndieMatty
05-08-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And hey--my point was that Gwen Stefani was never legit anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NO NO NO NO NO Emo was still "Emotional Hardcore" when they broke with "just a girl" . Sunny Day, Texas Is The Reason, Mineral etc.

do not ever. ever. ever. call them emo. The term sucks now, but you just made it suck 1000 times more with that statement.

manpower
05-08-2005, 01:10 PM
This isn't doing it for me.

Blarg
05-08-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean, it's abysmal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care for that most recent song either.. I must say, its one of the WORST SONGS I'VE EVER HEARD.

But, she's making money. If she's making money, I'm not going to fault her. Some athletes play beyond their prime.. But, if they make $3 mill/year, its pretty hard to tell them they should stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap, the Care Bears made money. Making money is no standard for anything but itself.

Blarg
05-08-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I especially enjoy the parts where she shakes her ass around all sassy like. I think Joe Strummer made that move famous, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, very good.

I haven't seen much Stefani, but that's partly because every time I have, she's been so boring and worthless.

thatpfunk
05-08-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
poppy-ska-emo tunes

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
do not ever. ever. ever. call them emo. The term sucks now, but you just made it suck 1000 times more with that statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used 3 adjectives. Do you have a better way of defining them?

Tron
05-08-2005, 05:50 PM
This is pretty much completely off-topic, but what the hell ever happened to the radio edit? I'm sick and tired of these songs in which every other song is completely blanked out. Stop being so lazy and record a radio edit with new words. Ugggh.

wonderwes
05-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Now she looks great in the video, but after listening to the song twice, and I think it is a horrid song.

2 new songs I think everyone should hear
Coldplay - Speed of Sound
Interpol - Evil

Jack of Arcades
05-09-2005, 02:11 AM
Don't call "Evil" new.

zephed56
05-09-2005, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...So I guess it shouldn't be any big surprise that she has chosen to make the logical move from punk (music born of revolution and nonconformity and anger) to, uh, whatever this lousy dance R+B P. Diddy costumed nonsense is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I was too young for this, was it bloody?

Sadat X
05-09-2005, 02:54 AM
This is a historically bad song.