PDA

View Full Version : I've had a Revelation.

Larimani
05-08-2005, 05:04 AM
I have been stuggling in the past few months to convert from limit cash games to NL STT's. My ROI must have been close to 0 & I just couldn't understand why.

Tonight, I've had a revelation. I don't know what's happened. It seems that the fog that has been hovering over my computer screen over the last few months just vanished. Now I see clear.

I played about 15 SNGs tonight, & have placed about 12 times...

My main problem is that I used to play far too many hand in the first few level... But you really don't have to. Just fold all but premium hands & watch others knocking themselves out! Before you know it there are 4/5 players left... You're already close to the money & still have a stack to play with... At this point you have to play smart. Aggressive, but selective. With a couple of good read and some well placed aggressivity you increase your stack size and let the smaller stacks knock each other out. If *you* are the one short stacked, make a few moves & pray. Once in you're in the money then you're in the money... try to go for first place.

I used to swear by limit... but NL is where it's at.

Thanks to the 2+2ers input which was a precursor to my revelation.

P.S.: I'm not too sure of the point of this post... so don't reply with "so what?"

Patriarch
05-08-2005, 05:14 AM
Your 'revelation' sounds more like an upswing to me.

LeVoodoo
05-08-2005, 05:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, even so, good for him. keep it up.

pergesu
05-08-2005, 06:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, as long as you don't expect a 80% ITM, you ought to be fine. Good work

treeofwisdom7
05-08-2005, 07:14 AM
hey you learned the only thing i know about sit n gos.. dont play the first rounds.. GL

Cry Me A River
05-08-2005, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's stopped playing trash in the first few levels, then it's a little more significant than an upswing.

That being said, I'm sure he realises those results are not sustainable. Playing tight early gives you the opportunity to win, but once it's down to bubble you're going to run into coin flips and suckouts pretty regularly.

J-Lo
05-08-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
aggressivity

[/ QUOTE ]

is that a real word-- or made up?

willie
05-08-2005, 01:10 PM
you're a luckbox on a turbo steamer

hehe

congrats.

valenzuela
05-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Nobody cares about ur short-term results however congrats on fixing ur leaks and improving ur game.

Blarg
05-08-2005, 01:28 PM
It might have some madeupivity to it.

Larimani
05-08-2005, 01:42 PM
aggression. (doh). I'm meant to have learnt English by now seeing that I've been living in England for 5 years... I think not the fact that I wrote in the morning after having played STTs all night has got something to do with it & French (my first language) took over my tired brain (aggression = agressivité)

Still no excuse.

Also, I'm aware that this is partly an upswing. I've played over 150,000 hands at limit so I know a thing or two about variance... but I really believe I understood something else and improved my game in a major way last night. Usually, I keep on making calls that I shouldn't be doing "eg. he MUST be bluffing, I'll call him with K-high", because I trust my intuitions too much. Yesterday, I really sticked to the plan of playing good poker & did great... sometimes you have to fold hands where you might actually be winning - that I think is the second biggest thing I leanrt yesterday.

Anyhow, we'll see in the coming weeks how it goes & if I start becoming a winning player once again...

Blarg
05-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Yes, folding the probable winner is a very important lesson. You'll often have much better, safer opportunities to make money than making a dangerous call.