PDA

View Full Version : Good aggressive play w/escape route?

jnoody
05-08-2005, 04:16 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t1995)
SB (t1165)
Hero (t1530)
UTG (t1055)
UTG+1 (t690)
MP1 (t260)
MP2 (t995)
CO (t310)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls t30, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t90) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t60</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, UTG folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: t650

Two questions on this one:

1) Do I want to force people to fold here? I play pretty conservatively in the earlier rounds and this is a little too early to be risking my stack. My main concern here is getting my weak two pair counterfeited or outdrawn. I feel I need to increase my chips and winning the pot right here is essential for that. Or should I be less worried about that and bet this for value?

2) Assuming my reasoning above is correct, is this a good way to leave myself an escape route? I am thinking if one of my opponents pushes, I can fold. Is that too weak tight?

Thanks in advance. I am new to this part of the forums and somewhat new to 2+2, but feel like this is the best hand I have had to post right now to learn about parts of the game that I don't understand.

-jnoody

bluefeet
05-08-2005, 04:41 AM
I agree whole-heartedly with your position...the only difference is we are not going to see the turn without all of the chips in the middle.

I might be giving him too much credit, but I would put SB on a straight draw.

Flopped a set? Then why would he bet 1st into a pot from a blind position with a perfect flop like that?

QJ? See above.

Anything less....little J or little Q? Still doubtful he'd bet. At least if it was me, I would assume a check/call position if it were cheap enough.

AQ? Perhaps. The absence of a raise with only one in the pot preflop might say otherwise, but perhaps.

AQ or open-ended. Your 2.5-1 favorite over each of these hands.

Personally, I think you may have bet a tad bit too much - you might have considered giving him a little worse than pot odds to call (200-300 maybe?). Regardless...any push back on his part and we're going all-in!

bluefeet
05-08-2005, 04:48 AM
...sorry, I missed UTG acting after you. I suppose it is entirely possible he limped w/ JJ looking for a raiser preflop.

BUT....naaaaaaah

....I'd still be compelled to push any reraising your flop raise.

jnoody
05-08-2005, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the reply.

[ QUOTE ]
I might be giving him too much credit, but I would put SB on a straight draw.

Flopped a set? Then why would he bet 1st into a pot from a blind position with a perfect flop like that?

QJ? See above.

Anything less....little J or little Q? Still doubtful he'd bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definately think that you are giving a $10 Party Poker player with no read too much credit.

Either way, I agree that my raise was too much, maybe something more in the realm of a $300 raise?

pergesu
05-08-2005, 06:51 AM
Raise to 250-300.

I don't know what buyin this is, but at Party, I can't imagine folding this without a strong read.