PDA

View Full Version : Math modeling paper

quinn
05-08-2005, 03:38 AM
I'm going to do a math project..8 to 10 page paper, that "tackles a mathematical modeling problem." (this is for my intro to continuous mathematical modeling class). There is little constraint on what I'm allowed to do.

So I'm basically supposed to pick something that happens and model it using math.

I want to do something interesting, preferably related to poker. Anyone have any ideas?

nate1729
05-08-2005, 04:35 AM
Model how sit-and-goes fill up. I'm pretty sure the rate of joining speeds up near the end, as people try to jump into ready-to-start ones.

Stuey
05-08-2005, 05:17 AM
Great poker players are more likely to go broke than good players. Show why and give a formula to use to find out when a player should play tighter than would be correct when playing in a great game with stakes too large for thier bankroll.

This is from GTAOT by Mason Malmuth but he notes that David Sklansky first proposed it.

Popinjay
05-08-2005, 05:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Model how sit-and-goes fill up. I'm pretty sure the rate of joining speeds up near the end, as people try to jump into ready-to-start ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's going to take some serious inductive regression analysis.

Jeff W
05-08-2005, 07:22 AM
Do you have Pokertracker+Data?

If so, you will notice a curious phenonemon where 40% of players are winners. However, most good players believe that less than 40% of players are winners and many of the winners in the database will be awful players who are running well. Some losers will be good players who are running poorly.

Perhaps you can investigate this phenonemon and reconcile the belief that less than 40% of players are winners w/ the short term data that disagrees.