PDA

View Full Version : most hated sports figure.... any sport?

Pocket Trips
05-08-2005, 12:59 AM
Who do you hate the most in the world of sports and why?

I friggen can't stand Jeff Gordon.. just the sight of him just drives me insane.. He just comes across as the most arrogant a-hole ever!!!

jason_t
05-08-2005, 01:00 AM
Joe Morgan. Sunday Night Baseball would be infinitely more enjoyable without him.

How soon until someone posts Barry Bonds?

Sponger15SB
05-08-2005, 01:01 AM
Barry Bonds. End of thread?

miajag81
05-08-2005, 01:01 AM
Joey Porter. That cheap shot he took against Todd Heap last year was the most bush league thing I have ever seen in the NFL.

Glenn
05-08-2005, 01:06 AM
John Ruiz.

IggyWH
05-08-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Joey Porter. That cheap shot he took against Todd Heap last year was the most bush league thing I have ever seen in the NFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously I'm a Steelers fan...

but that was not nearly the worst thing that's happened in the NFL.

CardSharpCook
05-08-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barry Bonds. And it isn't even close

05-08-2005, 01:15 AM
Bobby the Brain Heenan

this guy
05-08-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barry Bonds. And it isn't even close

[/ QUOTE ]

Glenn
05-08-2005, 01:17 AM
My bad--I answered the most universally hated. Ruiz hasn't really done anything except be incredibly boring so for myself, I'll go with Bonds of course. Mayweather Jr. is a strong up-and-comer in this catergory though.

Skipbidder
05-08-2005, 01:18 AM
I hate Baron Davis.
He cost me a grand. Also, I almost broke my toe.
Four years ago or so, in the playoffs, I had a middle on one of the games. (Half juice on one side and no juice on the other with a two point middle with $500 on each side.)

End of the game, a blowout, and teams are shaking hands. Some scrub puts up a shot (which he misses). Baron Davis rebounds the ball and puts it back for no apparent reason. Time had expired before he got his shot off, but nothing hinged on it--at least as far as the refs were concerned, so they didn't review the play. I kicked a chair. Goodbye middle.

The answer for sports figure I hate for cause is Gary Sheffield. I was a Brewers fan at the time he was playing for them. He admitted to purposefully dogging it in order to try to get traded. He's an assclown.

Richie Rich
05-08-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
#1 Daddy Anthony from NBC's Contender comes in a not-too-distant second.

miajag81
05-08-2005, 01:33 AM
I think if you are talking about all time, Ty Cobb easily beats out Bonds.

MasterShakes
05-08-2005, 01:36 AM
http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/t/tripleh/61.jpg

Game over.

ttleistdci
05-08-2005, 01:39 AM
Freddie Mitchell

Yeah...he's got something for Rodney Harrison, and the US Government's got something for him...a big, fat unemployment check. Loser.

Voltron87
05-08-2005, 01:40 AM
sport is the key word here.

btw its bonds. i hope he gets his leg amputated.

IggyWH
05-08-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Freddie Mitchell

Yeah...he's got something for Rodney Harrison, and the US Government's got something for him...a big, fat unemployment check. Loser.

[/ QUOTE ]

No TO, No Peoples Champ...

Who's Dono going to throw to, himself?

fluxrad
05-08-2005, 01:44 AM
Bill Romanowski?
Todd Bertuzzi?

Soul Daddy
05-08-2005, 01:47 AM
Rick Pitino

Mano
05-08-2005, 01:56 AM
O. J. Simpson

masse75
05-08-2005, 08:50 AM
There's really someone missing from this entire thread:

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/mlb/2000/1130/photo/s_stein_i.jpg

Aren't you most hated when some of your own fans hate you as much as the opposition does?

tbach24
05-08-2005, 08:56 AM
Rick Pitino
Vince Carter
Kobe Bryant

Jack of Arcades
05-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Dick Allen.

The_Tracker
05-08-2005, 08:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bill Romanowski?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ridiculous! Bill just played the game at 110 percent while everyone else was playing at 100 or less.

dutchbrodymoss
05-08-2005, 08:59 AM
The Duke Blue Devils.

Corey
05-08-2005, 09:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bill Romanowski

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted, as a Niners fan I wanted to spit in the face of JJ Stokes. Now sucker punching a backup tight end, that's class.

jokerthief
05-08-2005, 09:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you listen to ragtime on a phonograph and dance the Charleston while sipping moonshine?

Bigdaddydvo
05-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Bill Laimbeer in the day.

fluxrad
05-08-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bill Romanowski?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ridiculous! Bill just played the game at 110 percent while everyone else was playing at 100 or less.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd hate to see Marcus Williams' face if Romo played the game at 120%

Vince Young
05-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Dusty Baker and LaTroy Hawkins

jesusarenque
05-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Joe Morgan and Dusty Baker

Aces McGee
05-09-2005, 01:13 PM
Laimbeer for obvious reasons gets my vote for all-time.

More recently, Rick Fox. I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned yet.

-McGee

HopeydaFish
05-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Baseball: Barry Bonds, Albert Belle, John Rocker, Bud Selig, George Steinbrenner
Hockey: Darcey Tucker, Alexei Yashin, Bob Goodenow, Gary Bettman, + Every European player who signed a big contract and then started dogging it the next day.
Football: Warren Sapp, Randy Moss, Ryan Leaf
Basketball: Vince Carter, Kobe Bryant

WEASEL45
05-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Doug Christie
Tiger Woods

Uston
05-09-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dick Allen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Because of what Bill James wrote about him?

AncientPC
05-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Reggie Miller, biggest flopper ever.

jedi
05-09-2005, 02:08 PM
John Rocker
Mike Tyson

Someone dig up the list that Fox Sports did on the top 10 most hated players. Then we can debate it. I can't see how the hell people like Rick Fox and Reggie Miller end up on this list.

brokedickrooster
05-09-2005, 02:11 PM
and it's not even close.

Bluffoon
05-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Kobe Bryant, Barry Bonds, Mike Tyson are all first class jerks. Take your pick.

Aytumious
05-09-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bill Romanowski?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He really gave that extra effort when he blatantly punched Rashaan Salaam in the nuts during a pile up.

FishNChips
05-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Barry Bonds is at the top of the list. Very likely that he is a juicer but won't admit it. Always been a bad guy. No perform in the playoffs (how does he NOT throw out Sid Bream???). Just an all around no class jerk (from all appearances).

The two guys that epitomize why I hate the NBA:
Shaq / Kobe
I'll start with Shaq - he is EVERYTHING that is wrong with the NBA all wrapped up in one 7'+ 400lb package. He doesn't care about the regular season (despite the fact that floorside tix are $500+ at most arenas). He can't shoot. He's good because he's big. If I were 7'4 / 400lbs I would be "unstoppable" too. He cares more about his "other ventures" than he does about his game. He considers himself a philosopher when in fact he's a college grad of average intelligence. The game is boring when he plays.

Kobe : Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me

I used to hate Iverson for the same reason, but I think that AI's problem is that he doesn't have anyone around him so he HAS to shoot, though his "practice, he's talkin' 'bout practice" rant at a press conference a few years back put him on my Hated radar. I thought his comments about Kobe were pretty funny "he ain't so squeaky clean now is he" or something like that, but listening to him use "squeaky clean" like 6 times in 3 minutes was very funny.

Romanowski - I hate that guy too. don't give me the 110% crap, spitting in another players face is not acceptable, Romo is on 'roids. Breaking a teammates jaw at practice is not acceptable. This guy is a bonafide, Grade "A" JERK!

That is all

FishNChips

Bulldog
05-09-2005, 02:24 PM
You have to care about Ryan Leaf before you can hate him.

Also, I love Bonds enough to cancel out all the hate. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jesusarenque
05-09-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's good because he's big.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is stupid. Do you see why?

jesusarenque
05-09-2005, 02:27 PM
There is no way Barry Bonds is the most hated. He's not even close, and he shouldn't be in the discussion. While there are people who do not like him for one reason or another, there are many, many, many more people who love him. He is one of the most popular players in baseball. Hell, he's my favorite player, and I'm a Dodgers fan. To be the "most hated," I think the player has to pretty much be universally hated.

Aces McGee
05-09-2005, 02:32 PM
I would like to amend my answer to include Karl Malone.

-McGee

M2d
05-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Al Campanis

WEASEL45
05-09-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I were 7'4 / 400lbs I would be "unstoppable" too

[/ QUOTE ]
Shaq is not that big but whatever. career averages of 27 and 12

Gheorghe Muresan was 7'7" 315lbs. Career averages of 10 and 6. not really unstoppable.

FishNChips
05-09-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you give me the "footwork, balance, agility for his size" crap. Then you go to "Shawn Bradley, Mutombo, Dare" as examples of big people who weren't good. Here's my point : given Shaq's OBVIOUS size/strength advantage he should be MUCH more dominant than he is. He can't shoot outside of about 6 feet. He has turned the game into a bang-fest rather than a show of athletic ability (ala Jordon/Bird/Magic/Drexler). He backs down smaller centers, initiating contact that should be considered a foul but is not, he pushes off for rebounds (never gets called), if he were even a 75% free throw shooter how many more points would he have scored? He refused to get into shape for the last 2 seasons with the Lakers and upon being traded to Miami, which he took as "disrespect", he got his fat ASS in shape and became dominant again. I guess the huge contract in LA wasn't enough motivation.
He's a big fat giant ass!

So, I guess the answer to the question is "no, I don't see why" you snippy little bitch.

FishNChips

kerssens
05-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Jay Buhner by far....a very distant second is Romanowski.

jesusarenque
05-09-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you give me the "footwork, balance, agility for his size" crap. Then you go to "Shawn Bradley, Mutombo, Dare" as examples of big people who weren't good. Here's my point : given Shaq's OBVIOUS size/strength advantage he should be MUCH more dominant than he is. He can't shoot outside of about 6 feet. He has turned the game into a bang-fest rather than a show of athletic ability (ala Jordon/Bird/Magic/Drexler). He backs down smaller centers, initiating contact that should be considered a foul but is not, he pushes off for rebounds (never gets called), if he were even a 75% free throw shooter how many more points would he have scored? He refused to get into shape for the last 2 seasons with the Lakers and upon being traded to Miami, which he took as "disrespect", he got his fat ASS in shape and became dominant again. I guess the huge contract in LA wasn't enough motivation.

So, I guess the answer to the question is "no, I don't see why" you snippy little bitch.

FishNChips

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not why. Of COURSE he is better because he's bigger. He's a freak of nature. That's why he's a professional athlete. Do you think Carl Lewis is a joke too? He wouldn't be such hot [censored] if he couldn't run faster than everybody else. Mark Spitz is terrible. He can just swim faster than everybody else, that's why he won all those medals. Your argument is stupid.

Aytumious
05-09-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I were 7'4 / 400lbs I would be "unstoppable" too

[/ QUOTE ]
Shaq is not that big but whatever. career averages of 27 and 12

Gheorghe Muresan was 7'7" 315lbs. Career averages of 10 and 6. not really unstoppable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. You are quoting the wrong person.

FishNChips
05-09-2005, 03:06 PM
my argument is that I hate Shaq because he has helped ruin what was once a somewhat enjoyable league. He's a freak, yes! He doesn't work hard enough with that talent to improve himself. The NBA has changed to allow him to bang with guys all night. I hate him because people are paying VERY large sums of money to watch him and he doesn't care. I hate him because he COULD and SHOULD be so much better.

Carl Lewis was fast, but he wouldn't have won without the hard work he put in.

Jordan was a freak who could fly, but he worked to improve his game EVERY year.

Shaq shows up, rolls his huge body out there runs over people to the basket (no call!), dunks, raps about it on the way back down the floor, stands under the basket and swats at anything that comes in the lane (ala Chief in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest). He pushes off, bangs bangs bangs and gets away with it.

I hate him because I think he embodies all that I have grown to hate about the NBA.

Thanks,
FishNChips

jesusarenque
05-09-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my argument is that I hate Shaq because he has helped ruin what was once a somewhat enjoyable league. He's a freak, yes! He doesn't work hard enough with that talent to improve himself. The NBA has changed to allow him to bang with guys all night. I hate him because people are paying VERY large sums of money to watch him and he doesn't care. I hate him because he COULD and SHOULD be so much better.

Shaq shows up, rolls his huge body out there runs over people to the basket (no call!), dunks, raps about it on the way back down the floor, stands under the basket and swats at anything that comes in the lane (ala Chief in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest). He pushes off, bangs bangs bangs and gets away with it.

I hate him because I think he embodies all that I have grown to hate about the NBA.

Thanks,
FishNChips

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not Shaq's fault, it is the NBA's fault. And Shaq is not the only one to benefit from it. Hate the NBA, don't hate Shaq.

jack spade23
05-09-2005, 03:43 PM
I hate the Yankees. I am beyond joy after watching all of their games so far this season. Death to Jeter.

HopeydaFish
05-09-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have to care about Ryan Leaf before you can hate him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted. However, personally I've always hated athletes who have all the god-given talent in the world, but then squander it because of their horrible attitudes and/or lack of work ethic. They don't realize that millions of people would do anything to trade places with these athletes in a heartbeat.

Ryan Leaf had about the worst attitude imaginable, and didn't do squat to improve his game once things started going south for him.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I love Bonds enough to cancel out all the hate. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I love watching Bonds bat, but I hate the man. He makes tens of millions of dollars each year, but plays the race card and acts the victim at every turn. Plus, he's a cheater and acts like he's being persecuted by those trying to find the truth. He's a horrible role model for kids.

contentless
05-09-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks,
FishNChips

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't watch much basketball, do you?

Here's the name of the guy that ruined the NBA: Jordan.

As for Shaq, it takes more than size to play the game. Mobility, footwork, soft hands, good passing, etc. You're underestimating Shaq's strength when you say he pushes. If Shaq actually pushed anybody (as opposed to people just bouncing off of him), they'd go flying into the stands. Stop acting as if Shaq doesn't work; sumo wrestlers don't win basketball games.

davelin
05-09-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Explanation?

BadBoyBenny
05-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Hey, if Heap couldn't take a hit he shouldn't have lined up. Why should they get a free spike instead of taking an injury time out?

BadBoyBenny
05-14-2005, 04:24 PM
Lance Armstrong

<font color="white"> Just want to see how many people get pissed off because I posted this </font> ...

Dead
05-14-2005, 04:24 PM
Randy Moss

TheTimeIsUp
05-14-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Doug Christie
Tiger Woods

[/ QUOTE ]

Tiger?!

krazyace5
05-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Kobe Bryant, Ricky Williams, The moron that plays for the celtics and wanted time off for his rap career.

Lazymeatball
05-14-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lance Armstrong

[/ QUOTE ]

I really do hate that guy. Most people seem to like him though.

oh yeah, Ron Artest is universally hated.
The russian guy from one of the Rocky movies is hated.

Dead
05-14-2005, 05:48 PM
The Pacers would win the NBA championship this year with Artest back.

contentless
05-14-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The moron that plays for the celtics and wanted time off for his rap career.

[/ QUOTE ]

....who?

x2ski
05-14-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Randy Moss

[/ QUOTE ]

hedxcold
05-14-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Explanation?

[/ QUOTE ]

actually pat riley and the knicks ruined basketball. if you want to say jordan ruined basketball blame it on stern and his marketing plan of focusing on one guy, not jordan.

krazyace5
05-14-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The moron that plays for the celtics and wanted time off for his rap career.

[/ QUOTE ]

....who?

[/ QUOTE ]

whoops I meant the Pacers and Artest.

omahahahaha
05-15-2005, 03:35 PM
baseball: yankees,bonds,selig, A-fraud
alltime: yankees, cobb, bonds,

basketball: koME Bryant,Artest,lakers,the NBA game itself
alltime: Bill Laimbeer,Malone,Reggie Miller,lakers,celtics

football: T.O.,Sapp,Moss,Rodney Harrison,
alltime: Cowboys, O.J., Raiders,

hockey: out of sight, out of mind
alltime: Gordie Howe, Claude Lemieux,Billy Smith, Chris Nilan, Ken Linseman (The Rat)

TheTimeIsUp
05-15-2005, 03:44 PM
TO is hated? Anybody that talks a lot + wins is hated according to that phony list.

Crveballin
05-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Christian Laettner - I couldnt hate him any more.

omahahahaha
05-15-2005, 08:15 PM
If winning is alienating your teammates with a kobeish me,me,me, attitude then ya; he's a winner.

Ianco15
05-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Tom Brady. God I hate him. Oh man, oh man, I hate Tom Brady. Oh man.

2+2 wannabe
05-15-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this really isn't close....

Blarg
05-15-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

FishNChips

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not why. Of COURSE he is better because he's bigger. He's a freak of nature. That's why he's a professional athlete. Do you think Carl Lewis is a joke too? He wouldn't be such hot [censored] if he couldn't run faster than everybody else. Mark Spitz is terrible. He can just swim faster than everybody else, that's why he won all those medals. Your argument is stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

By thar argument, though, bullies are courageous and stronger than everyone else, not cowards who only pick on people smaller than they are. Context is everything; that's what Fish is arguing.

He doesn't like him kind of like how most people love an underdog -- you gotta love someone with the balls and the determination to try so hard to make the most of what he's got even when the odds are so slim. You gotta love those guys somehow even if you think they're crazy. Shaq can be the opposite of that -- got it all and does nothing with it. It can seem arrogant and something you just can't get behind.

Blarg
05-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Mike Stone, Mike Tyson, OJ, Roberto Duran.

bighomage
05-16-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tom Brady. God I hate him. Oh man, oh man, I hate Tom Brady. Oh man.

[/ QUOTE ]