PDA

View Full Version : How do dogs know what guns are?

brassnuts
05-07-2005, 11:20 PM
Yesterday I bought a Sig P220. It's stainless steel two-tone, nice looking gun. Anyways, I took it out of its case today, and my dog immediately cowered. I didn't even point it at her, but I motioned toward her with it in a questioning manner and she ran away. She's never seen or heard a gun. How would she know what it does?

ThaSaltCracka
05-07-2005, 11:25 PM
I think dogs may have some sort of sense which just knows that the item may harm them. I mean, dogs and other animals act funny before an earthquake comes so clearly they have some other senses we don't.

wacki
05-07-2005, 11:28 PM
TV?

whiskeytown
05-07-2005, 11:29 PM
it's probably not the gun, it's the action...

take your finger and point it like you're pointing a gun....I think a lot of dogs are used to that motion as meaning "bad dog" and reacting that way.

RB

A_C_Slater
05-07-2005, 11:33 PM
recyclical carnation memory?

Maybe dogs have more sustained memory of previous lives and incarnations. If so, he might have been around many guns in his past life as hunting dog/and or killed/maimed by a gun when police or war dogging for an ancient roman army?

And don't say it's not possible.

miajag81
05-07-2005, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Maybe dogs have more sustained memory of previous lives and incarnations. If so, he might have been around many guns in his past life as hunting dog/and or killed/maimed by a gun when police or war dogging for an ancient roman army?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah those Carthaginians had some pretty impressive firearms. Wonder how the Romans beat them?

M2d
05-08-2005, 12:08 AM
Grand Tourismo and other video games. I don't think dogs feared guns until nintendo duck hunt came out. it's been getting worse and worse ever since.

A_C_Slater
05-08-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah those Carthaginians had some pretty impressive firearms. Wonder how the Romans beat them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops. I meant to say Napoleonic army. Actually the Turks took Constantinople when it was part of the Western Roman Empire with gunpowder.

CallMeIshmael
05-08-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think dogs may have some sort of sense which just knows that the item may harm them. I mean, dogs and other animals act funny before an earthquake comes so clearly they have some other senses we don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know the answer... but I would assume that this is almost certainly not it.

A sense that differs from humans (ie. dogs can hear sound at different frequencies than us) can be explained by evolutionary pressures.

There are no such pressures on a dog to be afraid of a gun. Thus, it is almost certainly some sort of a learned and not innate behaviour.

gorie
05-08-2005, 12:36 AM
you let your dog watch too many violent shows on tv.

either that or blame one of the ghosts in your house.

CallMeIshmael
05-08-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yesterday I bought a Sig P220.

[/ QUOTE ]

Off topic, but... may I ask why you want a gun?

I just cant understand the need for a person to own a gun.

(FWIW... I am not american)

A_C_Slater
05-08-2005, 12:38 AM
I am not American

Then you will never understand.

Americans must have guns

They just do.

Scotch78
05-08-2005, 12:55 AM
My money is on firecrackers. Your dog has probably smelled gunpowder at some point, and if you also bought any bullets or if the gun had ever been fired before, she should be able to identify the gunpowder smell.

Scott

brassnuts
05-08-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Off topic, but... may I ask why you want a gun?

I just cant understand the need for a person to own a gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a die hard "Give me my gun or give me death!" American, but I like guns because it's fun to shoot stuff. I hope to God that I never have to fire it at anybody.

AncientPC
05-08-2005, 02:22 AM
Because it's fun to shoot stuff.

I don't own a gun nor go hunting, but I've gone to the shooting range with my friends and it's fun.

A_C_Slater
05-08-2005, 02:30 AM
Let's not sugarcoat the issue here.

I mean really, let's keep it real.

Americans just like to shoot and kill things indiscriminately and for no real reason.

That's just the way we are.

For real.

An American male that doesn't own a gun is like a European male that doesn't have a dick. You're just not a man without one. Gun/Dick what's the difference, really?

i wanna be me
05-08-2005, 07:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think dogs feared guns until nintendo duck hunt came out.

[/ QUOTE ]

but i thought the dog got all happy when he had a duck to go collect?

jokerthief
05-08-2005, 07:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think dogs feared guns until nintendo duck hunt came out.

[/ QUOTE ]

but i thought the dog got all happy when he had a duck to go collect?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but when he would laugh at me after I missed, I would pop a few caps in his ass. Take that Bitch!

Matty
05-08-2005, 07:20 AM
Clearly you need to experiment more. Point a fake gun at her. Then a drill.

Maybe you got an erection when you opened your new phallus. I'd run too.

Wozza
05-08-2005, 08:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Americans just like to shoot and kill things indiscriminately and for no real reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely the reason most civilised countries use America as a good example of how not to behave...