PDA

View Full Version : I can't put him on a hand so i can't figure out how to play when i hit

boondockst
05-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Is this just a naked 10? While maybe a little high, is the flop raise pretty standard? the guy was 91/41 over 40 hands...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG ($7)
MP ($22.74)
Hero ($22.96)
SB ($32.55)
BB ($10.47)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif. UTG posts a blind of $0.25. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
UTG (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, SB (poster) calls $0.90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds.

Flop: ($2.50) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, SB calls $5.

Turn: ($16.50) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero ??????

boondockst
05-07-2005, 11:20 PM
BTW, sometimes i check behind to "be sneaky" but i've learned/decided that doing that wastes money when you can be building the pot. I ended up putting out a "weak" $2 bet that he called and i pushed on the river for my last bit and he folded...Would i rather expose the strength/style i played my hand with by getting him to call less on the river or is the pot-sized bet usually corret?

Bukem_
05-07-2005, 11:25 PM
I like half the pot. You raised on the flop like you don't want the heart hitting, bet like you aren't crazy about it.

Also bloats the pot to the point a loose player like this will call all-in on the river with a very marginal hand once he calls on the turn.

Unlikely, but opens him up to cr you all in without you looking too suspicious.

Given your stack you could go a little less than half pot, 7 bucks good enough to tie him in also.

boondockst
05-07-2005, 11:32 PM
If an opponent is 90/40 over a decent # of hands (i mean c'mon i'm only 16/8 in that span) can i expect him to read into my bets? If I think he's betting/calling on the strength of his hand only what are my options? If he has only a 10 and wants to hit a 2nd pair, do i need to get most of his money in on the turn (when he still has 1 card to come in his mind)? And is it worth only putting out a $5-ish bet if I KNEW IT WAS ALL HE WOULD CALL...Would you rather show the monster hand for a smaller price or rather you look aggressive when he folds to the push? Does this even matter in the slightest? I run into this often with my "nuts" hands...I see others betting rivers real cheap with monsters and others call, yet i feel they could have gotten more out of it/shouldn't show for that price...thoughts?

utmt40
05-08-2005, 02:46 AM
I like a value bet here maybe half the pot or a little less...if he re-raises you like you hope he does the just push in. Good luck

boondockst
05-08-2005, 02:59 AM
you think he'll call or RERAISE a $8 bet??? it's results-oriented but he didn't even raise a $2 bet....i knew his hand sucked...just not sure how to get the best ratio of money/having to show the monster hand

DavidC
05-08-2005, 03:14 AM
IMHO, this guy either has a weak made hand or a flush draw or a straight draw. That was quite an amazing raise you made on the flop... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Considering your stack size is now: $14 and there's $16.50 in the pot (less rake), I'd just bet $7 on each street. He won't call a push with a straight draw, if he has a flush he'll push for you... you don't have a whole lot to lose by betting $7 on each street. You could underbet further to $5, but I don't know if you want to do that, because a weak made hand will perhaps pay $7.

--Dave.

DavidC
05-08-2005, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If an opponent is 90/40 over a decent # of hands (i mean c'mon i'm only 16/8 in that span) can i expect him to read into my bets? If I think he's betting/calling on the strength of his hand only what are my options? If he has only a 10 and wants to hit a 2nd pair, do i need to get most of his money in on the turn (when he still has 1 card to come in his mind)? And is it worth only putting out a $5-ish bet if I KNEW IT WAS ALL HE WOULD CALL...Would you rather show the monster hand for a smaller price or rather you look aggressive when he folds to the push? Does this even matter in the slightest? I run into this often with my "nuts" hands...I see others betting rivers real cheap with monsters and others call, yet i feel they could have gotten more out of it/shouldn't show for that price...thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've thought about this a bit, and as a result I often will bet the river with a made hand vs a draw, if I'm in position. This preserves my right to bluff in the same spot with a missed draw.

However, what you have to consider is whether the benefits of him folding to the push exceed what he's willing to put in the pot if you milk him. I assume you're playing at the NLHE $25 tables (I can't remember from original post), so in that case, milk it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

boondockst
05-08-2005, 03:19 AM
amazing he smooth-called it? what's amazing? is it too much? it looked like a damn fine flop and i figure i disguised my draw SOME...he has to have some draw to not fear an overpair but who knows...JQ? 78?

Dignan
05-08-2005, 03:46 AM
I think he means amazing in that it was a whopper of a raise with your flush draw, considering the pot was only 2.25 before his bet.

bobman0330
05-08-2005, 04:01 AM
preflop and flop are good. i really like the flop raise.

Having played fast and loose, you should bet about half-pot on the turn. Betting $2 is awful, awful, awful. Firstly, he might have a hand. I know you think he doesn't, but he might. If he turned a straight, you just cost yourself at least $6. More importantly, raising when you don't have a hand, and betting small when you do is a good way to lose money. He called a $5 raise on the flop, and now you're afraid to bet more than $2?? Take the risk of losing action on some hands, and you'll get paid off a ton more on the rest. Also, a $2 bet here is scary as hell. And a 4th heart on the river will kill your action.

boondockst
05-08-2005, 04:03 AM
how much would the average player bet on the turn if he feared the heart? i was trying to look like i didn't like it

creedofhubris
05-08-2005, 07:08 AM
You've only got $22 more, this is not rocket science.

$10 here, $12 on the river.

bobman0330
05-08-2005, 06:27 PM
An average player who fears the heart and has a redraw CHECKS. an average player who fears the heart and doesn't have a redraw bets half the pot and takes a free showdown. No one looks at a scary card and reopens the betting for $2. You're just asking to get check-raised. (I know this is what you want, but no one will fall for it)

Jazza
05-08-2005, 06:46 PM
i bet $6 on the turn here

TheWorstPlayer
05-08-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You've only got $22 more, this is not rocket science.

$10 here, $12 on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

the machine
05-08-2005, 07:51 PM
check, i understand peoples idea about getting money in the pot and making it look like you dont like the heart. i think this is the wrong way to look at it. if you think he doesnt have a hand then he isnt gonna call anything IMO. a 2$ bet looks alot scarrier to me then a 10$ bet. if you put him on a 10 here then he may be scared of the q or the heart. i think checking and letting him catch up is the best metod here. let him hit trips or 2 pair which he doesnt already have becuase if he is a good player then he would have bet 2 pair strong to represent a flush with the notion that if you already have a weak flush his hand can still improve to a boat and he may be able to push you off of a weak flush (little does he know you have the nuts right now). checking and hoping he catches up is the best method for maximum pot size IMO.

also he may have a heart in his hand and if one hits the river he may bet it for you or may bluff at the river which will pay you off. id rather take the chance of him making a big bet on the river then putting more money in the pot by the turn. ive made nut flushes on the turn many times checked and had people bet it for me on the river when they are in position to act before me

TheWorstPlayer
05-08-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
let him hit trips or 2 pair which he doesnt already have becuase if he is a good player then he would have bet 2 pair strong to represent a flush with the notion that if you already have a weak flush his hand can still improve to a boat and he may be able to push you off of a weak flush

[/ QUOTE ]
POTY. Funniest post on SSNL in a long time. Thanks, man!

the machine
05-08-2005, 08:15 PM
whats poty

TheWorstPlayer
05-08-2005, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
whats poty

[/ QUOTE ]
Post of the year. I PMed you.

the machine
05-08-2005, 09:07 PM
i sent a couple more back to you too