PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody hate people like this?

David04
05-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Yesterday this lady came to my school to "expose the lies in the media". As if kids over 12 don't know that you don't go around killing people because you see it in GTA, or you don't deal drugs because you heard some rapper talk about it. This lady talked for an 1 1/2 hours, trying to convince us that if we listened to rap music(other than KJ52, of course) or played GTA we were doomed to hell.

Of course, she lost any credibility she had when she claimed "Eminem's first album, 'Infinite' was actually gospel album."

I sit in the back and make fun of this lady, like the typical 2+2 [censored] that I am. She told us all this bullcrap, trying to convince us that videogames teach people to kill, and that rap music is fake and therefore MUST be bad.

After spewing crap for more than an hour, she starts listing some "alternative" music taht we can listen to(like the aforementioned KJ52, who "sounds a lot like Eminem!") Or:"This is a good band, my mom really likes them. You should check them out."

Knowing 2+2, I can guess that almost everyone is going to agree with me on this...but does anybody else think this is ridiculous? Some lady who is only a few years older than some of us(it was a high school, this lady was something like 23 or 24) telling us what music to listen to and what videogames to play...

Maybe I'm just mad(some teacher came up to me after the assembly and told me I was immature, I suppose because I couldn't stand listening to this lady and made fun of her the whole time).

[/rant]

fluxrad
05-07-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm just mad(some teacher came up to me after the assembly and told me I was immature, I suppose because I couldn't stand listening to this lady and made fun of her the whole time).

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably your teacher was right. Just because you think someone is an idiot doesn't mean you shouldn't be courteous.

David04
05-07-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably your teacher was right. Just because you think someone is an idiot doesn't mean you shouldn't be courteous.

[/ QUOTE ] Well, she told me I was "the most immature student she had ever seen at an assembly"

I can be immature, but that's pushing it. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tbach24
05-07-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[/rant]

[/ QUOTE ]
You didn't turn your rant on to begin with.

Anyways, I completely agree with you. I hate people who talk to me, especially those who take up my free periods because I need to fill my need to play video games. We had these dudes come the other day who were veterans for peace and we digressed into baseball so that was cool. But then they said that the fact that teachers made 30k, money dudes made 300k and baseball players made 3 million was ridiculous and I didn't get the chance to pwn them by pointing out it would be retarded to pay teachers a lot of money so that was really gay. Anyways, that was 1.5 hours of my life that could've been spent hitting jonrun's with Manny and Big Papi.

David04
05-07-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[/rant]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It didn't start as a rant, it kinda turned into one by the last few paragraphs.

tbach24
05-07-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[/rant]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It didn't start as a rant, it kinda turned into one by the last few paragraphs.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but you really can't turn something off that you never turned on.

SpearsBritney
05-07-2005, 09:49 PM
I think she has a point that society in general is headed in a direction that will inevitably produce an explosion of maladjusted and miserable people (if it hasn't already). But nevertheless, this woman is a complete nutcase, and is wasting her time.

purnell
05-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Drugs are bad, mkay?

gorie
05-07-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i agree. but considering the bad influence of rap music & video games, he probably doesn't know any better. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hermlord
05-07-2005, 10:02 PM
You should have asked her about the time CNN lied to me and called the Michael Jackson trial "news" when there are about 3,000 actual problems that need covering.

Or about the lie that the news media is "objective" when in fact they are rapidly being consolidated under massive multinationals with strong vested interests and intimate ties to government.

Or when they lied to me by greatly exaggerating the dangers of drugs and sex, with no discussion of the positives.

Or the lie that buying the right products will actually make my life more complete and worthwhile.

Well, you get the idea. There's probably better responses than being rude, but when YOUR public school gets overrun by corporate, political, or moral interests, call bullsh!t loudly and repeatedly.

jkkkk
05-07-2005, 10:06 PM
why was she allowed into your school?

I hate people like this sometimes, but at other times, they are quite amusing.

its like watching the God channel.

CardSharpCook
05-07-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why was she allowed into your school?

I hate people like this sometimes, but at other times, they are quite amusing.

its like watching the God channel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was she hot? She sounds hot.

purnell
05-07-2005, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should have asked her about the time CNN lied to me and called the Michael Jackson trial "news" when there are about 3,000 actual problems that need covering.

Or about the lie that the news media is "objective" when in fact they are rapidly being consolidated under massive multinationals with strong vested interests and intimate ties to government.

Or when they lied to me by greatly exaggerating the dangers of drugs and sex, with no discussion of the positives.

Or the lie that buying the right products will actually make my life more complete and worthwhile.

Well, you get the idea. There's probably better responses than being rude, but when YOUR public school gets overrun by corporate, political, or moral interests, call bullsh!t loudly and repeatedly.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice.

ttleistdci
05-07-2005, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and that rap music is fake and therefore MUST be bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

90% of rap music IS bad, so maybe she's got a point on that one. Score another for her on recognizing the fact that Eminem's first album, Infinite, that most people never heard is awesome. But gospel?

"I'll puke, eat it, and freak you.
Battle? I'm too weeded to speak to.
The only key I see to defeat you
would be for me to remove these two Adidas and beat you,
and force feed you them both.
And on each foot is a cleat shoe."

If that's gospel to her then maybe she should be the one in the audience listening to someone speak about the influence that games and music have on children and teens.

Vince Young
05-07-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and that rap music is fake and therefore MUST be bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

90% of rap music IS bad, so maybe she's got a point on that one. Score another for her on recognizing the fact that Eminem's first album, Infinite, that most people never heard is awesome. But gospel?

"I'll puke, eat it, and freak you.
Battle? I'm too weeded to speak to.
The only key I see to defeat you
would be for me to remove these two Adidas and beat you,
and force feed you them both.
And on each foot is a cleat shoe."

If that's gospel to her then maybe she should be the one in the audience listening to someone speak about the influence that games and music have on children and teens.

[/ QUOTE ]
That isn't from Infinite but it definitely isn't gospel.

Hermlord
05-07-2005, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
90% of rap music IS bad

[/ QUOTE ]

90% of ALL music is bad.
90% of all books are bad.
90% of computer code is bad.
90% of all human output is bad.

Thank god the other 10% makes up for it.

ttleistdci
05-07-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
90% of rap music IS bad

[/ QUOTE ]

90% of ALL music is bad.
90% of all books are bad.
90% of computer code is bad.
90% of all human output is bad.

Thank god the other 10% makes up for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

touche.

Voltron87
05-07-2005, 11:00 PM
I agree. Right now Eminem is a significant part of rap's 10. He goes as far as to cancel out the Ying Yang twins' existance-no small feat.

Vince Young
05-07-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. Years ago Eminem was a significant part of rap's 10. He went as far as to cancel out the Ying Yang twins' existance-no small feat.

[/ QUOTE ]
fyp

gvibes
05-07-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
True, but you really can't turn something off that you never turned on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell that to the last eleventy billion women I've hit on.

SpearsBritney
I think her use of the word gospel was more than likely to mean "unquestionable truth" as in his word was gospel, which is obviously refering to how he is received by many impressionable youth. I highly doubt anyone would confuse his music for gospel.

Voltron87
he has 4 ridiculously good albums and one meh one. and the meh one is very good in some ways. he is allowed a subpar album after what he's done. its not like he made one good record and dropped off.

DaveKForty7
05-07-2005, 11:40 PM
What makes me happier about this situation is that she got paid to do that kind of thing... talk about dream job.

BeerMoney
05-07-2005, 11:47 PM
You should be less mad at her, rather than the people who agreed to have her waste your time.

Shoe
05-08-2005, 01:25 AM
If we could get al-queda and all the other would be terrorists hooked on games like GTA and CS, the world would be a much safer place. Turn them into kids whose only motivation is to play video games.

DavidC
05-08-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute... someone at the school organized a lecture on pop culture, by an evangelist / whatever the term is for that.

Was it possible to just leave the lecture? It wouldn't be very polite to make fun of them while they were making their presentation, but it'd be a whole lot better just to say you had to go to the washroom, and not return. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

There are some intelligent Christians out there; C.S. Lewis and Tolkein were two. As far as I know, they weren't too pushy either, but I don't know too much about them...

Sometimes showing people your life rather than trying to tell them to adopt it is a much better approach.

--Dave.

spamuell
05-08-2005, 11:01 AM
They annoy me too but I'd guess you were immature.

You think you're so smart when you make sarcastic comments to people like this but actually you're not being original or funny the vast majority of the time and to anyone who has actually thought about what is being talked about for 2 seconds, you sound like a dismissive ignorant idiot who prefers to mock people whose opinions that he does not agree with than to actually think about what's being said.

Or whatever maybe that's not you, that's how I used to be.

David04
05-08-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They annoy me too but I'd guess you were immature.

You think you're so smart when you make sarcastic comments to people like this but actually you're not being original or funny the vast majority of the time and to anyone who has actually thought about what is being talked about for 2 seconds, you sound like a dismissive ignorant idiot who prefers to mock people whose opinions that he does not agree with than to actually think about what's being said.

Or whatever maybe that's not you, that's how I used to be.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I disagreed with this woman(obviously). But I did think about what she was saying...then I found out she was absolutely ridiculous. So from that point on I mocked her.