PDA

View Full Version : A hand I wanted to get opinions on (from this week's WPT)

Bigwig
05-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Just curious what you would do in this situation. I'm estimating blinds/stack sizes. And I don't have the hand exactly, but I know I'm pretty close.

The 'Grinder' (awful nickname) on Button with about 1 million chips.
SB is the eventual winner, what's his face with about 700K.
BB is Chao Giang with 2.5 million

Blinds 10,000/20,000 with an ante (maybe 2k)

3 folds to The 'Grinder' *insert eye roll*

Grinder raises to 60K with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB folds

Giang calls with K /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Flop: K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Giang checks.

The 'Grinder' bets 70K.

Giang calls.

Turn: A /images/graemlins/club.gif

Giang checks.

The 'Grinder' bets again. I don't remember how much. Not a lot. Like 70-100K.

Giang reraises all-in.

1. What do you think about how Giang played this hand? I'm not sure I like the flat call on the flop. I definitely don't like checking the turn.

2. What do you think of the way the 'Grinder' played this hand? I am 100% sure that he made a mistake by not checking behind on the turn. What do you think?

Apathy
05-07-2005, 09:02 PM
This hand is almost straight out of TPFAP, the basic idea is if your the grinder you don't want to push yourself out of the pot with the nut draw, betting is really bad and I'm really surprised he wouldn't know that.

I think Giang plays the hand well if he knows the grinder will bet the turn, if he didn't have that read then I think betting the turn extracts more value from the hand.

Bigwig
05-07-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This hand is almost straight out of TPFAP, the basic idea is if your the grinder you don't want to push yourself out of the pot with the nut draw, betting is really bad and I'm really surprised he wouldn't know that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're talking about on the turn, correct? I like his flop bet, although I might have made it a bit more.

curtains
05-07-2005, 10:20 PM
LOL, I just wathced this a few minutes ago and IM'ed apathy about how I thought the turn bet was very stupid. Betting the turn with the idea of folding to a check raise is terrible here. Also I believe he had A5s.

Also I'm being called a giant idiot on the WPT forum for suspecting that Men the Masters hole cards were misrepresented in a hand on todays headsup championship. Come check it out and see what you think.