PDA

View Full Version : I think I have the "folding A, A" situation

rybones
05-07-2005, 07:35 PM
3 handed. Blinds at 300/600. medium stack has been folding every raise from big stack waiting for small stack to go.

Medium stack on the button with t3500 folds

Hero A, A with t5100 after posting 300

BB has t500 after posting 600

could an argument be made here for folding the aces so you can continue to steal from the medium stack?

valenzuela
05-07-2005, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

could an argument be made here for folding the aces so you can continue to steal from the medium stack?

[/ QUOTE ]
No

LeVoodoo
05-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Yes, if your reads are correct.

Edit: Whoops, this isn't the bubble. Maybe not then.
If it was the bubble and there were two stacks at ~1500, then yes.

swarm
05-07-2005, 07:46 PM
No and it's not even close. The blinds are too high and you are ITM. People are much less likely too fold to blind steals at this level once in the money. It's play for first time for all involved.

You guarantee yourself 2nd place and a stronghold on getting first, why [censored] with it?

By giving smallstack that many chips you creat a potentially dangerous situation if he catches a good hand against you or sucks out on you in the next couple of hands.

This would be a terrible, terrible play in my opinion.

xPuns1her
05-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Are you on crack? Man what tables do you play at. I want to play against you.

Nottom
05-07-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3 handed. Blinds at 300/600. medium stack has been folding every raise from big stack waiting for small stack to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

An argument could be made, I don't think its a very good one but likely better than most fold AA arguments.

Heres a better fold AA situation:
You are on the bubble. The BB is all-in for 400, the SB is all-in for 200. You have 20 chips on the button. The Big stack pushes.

Iamafish
05-07-2005, 08:25 PM
....Or...Tourny qualifier...1 more to go out before you get ticket...You have AA and someone moves in with = stack.

Fold.

Nottom
05-07-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
....Or...Tourny qualifier...1 more to go out before you get ticket...You have AA and someone moves in with = stack.

Fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but the satellite example is so well known its not worth mentioning.

Iamafish
05-07-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but the satellite example is so well known its not worth mentioning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so not EVERYONE knows.

Freudian
05-07-2005, 08:40 PM
I would never fold here. You have the biggest stack and you have an opponent that has shown himself to be somewhat passive. Sooner or later he will pick up a hand he will make a stand with and if you keep pushing any two it will burn you. Middle stack is so big that when he calls he will hurt you and small stack is two wins from being back in it.

I think people are taking the concept of keeping the short stack alive way too far.

Take this pot down and go into headsup with 6500 vs 3500 and if small stack folds to your raise you still have your preferred situation. If you think middle stack will let you steal significantly more than the 1400 chips you are giving up here, I think you are mistaken.

pergesu
05-07-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be pushing any two cards here. And AA are pretty nice cards for pushing with, imo.

microbet
05-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Pretty much guaranteed you will be able to run over this guy HU.

mjnumb23
05-07-2005, 09:07 PM
ahhhhh, people continue to search for that ever so elusive folding aces situation. this however, is DEFINITELY not the one. a preposterous thought.

microbet
05-07-2005, 09:28 PM
You don't think I meant he should fold did you?

mjnumb23
05-07-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't think I meant he should fold did you?

[/ QUOTE ]

no

wickss
05-07-2005, 09:57 PM
I was playing a step higher touney. I didn't play a hand until I was guaranteed not to drop out. Short stack was all in. He was the last player to drop out. I had aces. I folded.

The idea was to get to step five with only one buy in. If I played any hand before the drop off, I would be at risk of losing the original buy in. I was using a system that eliminated that risk.

LeVoodoo
05-07-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was playing a step higher touney. I didn't play a hand until I was guaranteed not to drop out. Short stack was all in. He was the last player to drop out. I had aces. I folded.

The idea was to get to step five with only one buy in. If I played any hand before the drop off, I would be at risk of losing the original buy in. I was using a system that eliminated that risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't advance either though, right?

valenzuela
05-07-2005, 10:00 PM
I really hope ure not older than me.
EDIT: I thought u said a step5 higher, thereby Im an idiot with no reading comprehension.

microbet
05-07-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was playing a step higher touney. The idea was to get to step five with only one buy in. I was using a system that eliminated that risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

wickss
05-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Not in that tourney, but I didn't lose anything either. This system doesn't allow you to advance more often. It just keeps you from having to buy in as often. The problem is that eventually you will be in a tourney that is so tight that you will bet blinded off, especially in the higher levels.

rybones
05-07-2005, 11:16 PM
this was fun!!! Thanks all. Now as for those who said fold aces on the bubble or in a satalite, wrong and wrong again. I too feel folding aces in the situation I described is a poor choice, but I still think argument is better than the bubble one others like. I beleive swarm said it best:
[ QUOTE ]
The blinds are too high and you are ITM. People are much less likely too fold to blind steals at this level once in the money ... .

You guarantee yourself 2nd place and a stronghold on getting first, why [censored] with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

That said if there is ever a reason to fold aces, I think you may be able to find/create a hand where it may make sense for the big stack to keep the little alive. But then again, maybe not.

Ryan

Nottom
05-07-2005, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks all. Now as for those who said fold aces on the bubble or in a satalite, wrong and wrong again.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you make the call with aces in the bubble situation I posted or as a biggish stack on a satallite bubble vs a bigger/equal stack you are making a big mistake.

Al P
05-07-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now as for those who said fold aces on the bubble or in a satalite, wrong and wrong again.

[/ QUOTE ]

BS.

Freudian
05-08-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not in that tourney, but I didn't lose anything either. This system doesn't allow you to advance more often. It just keeps you from having to buy in as often. The problem is that eventually you will be in a tourney that is so tight that you will bet blinded off, especially in the higher levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the steps aren't a situation where you should fold AA. If places 1-8 had the same prize perhaps. But they don't. So just because you play in a way that guarantees you another shot, it will be a much worse shot than the 1st place gives.

If you think you are good enough to make it to level 5 while giving up huge +EV situations in the beginning - good luck. I think that at best you will be treading water for a while.