PDA

View Full Version : Fat kids

tworooks
05-07-2005, 03:23 PM
All over the country, there are the kids in every class who are the fat kids. The fat kids are usually the ones who get their ass kicked, or just made fun of. The ones that I'm talking about are the ones that look like they'd be tough, but in actuality they have squeaky voices and are pussies. Personally, I like most fat kids. Their pretty funny. But some just deserve to get their ass kicked. So my questions to you guys, were you the fat kid or were you the kid who beat up the fat kids. Tell any stories that have to do with fat kids

http://musingsofafatkid.blogspot.com/fatkidtwo.jpg
http://www.desolation.org/hate/par/mullet_customer03.jpg
some pretty funny things they did on ebaumsworld with a fat asian kid (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/fatasiankid.html)

Jman28
05-07-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I like most fat kids. Their pretty funny. But some just deserve to get their ass kicked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Replace 'fat' with any race and, whammo, you're a racist!

Dominic
05-07-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I like most fat kids. Their pretty funny. But some just deserve to get their ass kicked.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Idiotic and reactionary response. Race is something you have no choice over, threfore, to dislike someone based solely on their race is considered wrong.

Fat people are ridiculed because they are weak and gluttonous. They made themselves fat. Therefore, they do not deserve the same political correctness and respect that races, genders and other sexual orientations do.

If you are fat, it's your own damn fault. eat right and exercise. Period.

PokerFink
05-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Those pictures on ebaum are great.

Jman28
05-07-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
race is something you have no choice over, threfore, to dislike someone based solely on their race is considered wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it's okay to dislike someone based solely on the fact that they are fat?

thegrammarnazi
05-07-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
race is something you have no choice over, threfore, to dislike someone based solely on their race is considered wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So it's okay to dislike someone based solely on the fact that he is fat?

Jman28
05-07-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's somewhat similar to what I asked.

Freakin
05-07-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe that is proper grammar, or a funny gimmick.

Freakin

thegrammarnazi
05-07-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter what you believe. You are wrong.

MyMindIsGoing
05-07-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Idiotic and reactionary response. Race is something you have no choice over, threfore, to dislike someone based solely on their race is considered wrong.

Fat people are ridiculed because they are weak and gluttonous. They made themselves fat. Therefore, they do not deserve the same political correctness and respect that races, genders and other sexual orientations do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Typical single minded american answer.

Freakin
05-07-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Prove it.

Freakin

thegrammarnazi
05-07-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Prove it.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

A pronoun refers to something earlier in the text and must agree in number with the thing to which it refers. "Someone" is singular. "They" is plural.

Jman28
05-07-2005, 04:18 PM
nazis are racist too

Freakin
05-07-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Prove it.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

A pronoun refers to something earlier in the text and must agree in number with the thing to which it refers. "Someone" is singular. "They" is plural.

[/ QUOTE ]

I told you your gimmick wasn't funny.

Freakin

05-07-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Prove it.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NH

jesusarenque
05-07-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Prove it.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pwned

YourFoxyGrandma
05-07-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to say he or she, I think.

05-07-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Prove it.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pwned

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're gonna use it, do it right... it's pwn3d tyvm

Freakin
05-07-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pwning aside, I was thinking that as well.

Freakin

thegrammarnazi
05-07-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

"He or she" may be used in place of "he" or "she," but it makes the sentence unnecessarily long and confusing. Using either "he" or "she" is the best way to go.

Freakin
05-07-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

"He or she" may be used in place of "he" or "she," but it makes the sentence unnecessarily long and confusing. Using either "he" or "she" is the best way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah well how big is your penis?

Freakin

thegrammarnazi
05-07-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

How big did it feel?

Freakin
05-07-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

How big did it feel?

[/ QUOTE ]

You win. NH, sir.

Freakin

augie00
05-07-2005, 04:45 PM
In 8th grade I punched a fat kid in the face...knocked his glasses off.

jakethebake
05-07-2005, 04:56 PM
As kids, most people are very insecure. God put fat kids on Earth to make other kids feel good about themselves. So they're basically disposable.

TStoneMBD
05-07-2005, 05:01 PM
some fat people have a genetic disorder and cannot lose weight no matter what they do.

i hate you because youre ignorant. how about that?

jakethebake
05-07-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
some fat people have a genetic disorder and cannot lose weight no matter what they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thay all use that excuse. There are like three kids ever that have actually had it.

Dominic
05-07-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's somewhat similar to what I asked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can dislike or hold little respect for anyone I want. As long as I don't harm another person while doing so, what's the problem?

SpearsBritney
05-07-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I pray you aren't really this stupid.

http://img197.echo.cx/img197/8534/fatkid3hj.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

DBowling
05-07-2005, 08:09 PM
fat people are hard to kidnap

TStoneMBD
05-07-2005, 08:10 PM
your posts in this thread may very well be harming someone. so youre a [censored].

Dominic
05-07-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
your posts in this thread may very well be harming someone. so youre a [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

so does that mean if your post is harming me, you're a [censored] also?

gorie
05-07-2005, 08:20 PM
be nice.

YourFoxyGrandma
05-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Not holding respect for an individual person is fine with me. Not respecting a group of people based on a body characteristic is completely ignorant. And while technically you're not hurting anyone by feeling this way, voicing your opinion about it potentially is.

Another thought: I would be really fat if there wasn't something up with my metabolism. I eat like [censored] all the time and I eat alot too, yet I weigh 135 pounds. Do I not deserve the respect of my fellow man?

thatpfunk
05-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Its funny because now I know who the fat and whiny 2+2ers are after reading the responses.

TStoneMBD
05-07-2005, 09:06 PM
if youre talking about me, my posts have nothing to do with myself. im just sick of the jerkoffs on this forum who like to belittle people every chance they get.

Hoopster81
05-07-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fat people are ridiculed because they are weak and gluttonous. They made themselves fat. .... If you are fat, it's your own damn fault. eat right and exercise. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're an idiot.

Jman28
05-08-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if youre talking about me, my posts have nothing to do with myself. im just sick of the jerkoffs on this forum who like to belittle people every chance they get.

[/ QUOTE ]

tbach24
05-08-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you really just bump this thread up to do a quote and not add anything?

Jman28
05-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Apparently.

ThaSaltCracka
05-08-2005, 03:50 PM
I really don't understand why its okay for people to make fun of fat people. All of them know they are fat and probably all of them are incredibly insecure about it, why should they have to deal with ass holes belitting them because of their weight? I don't care if they have control over their body, its their body and not yours so leave them the [censored] alone. One of my friends has recently gained a lot of weight, like probably 50 pounds. He has always been a big guy, both height and weight wise. 6'6" 300+ his whole life, and because of the weight he has recently gained he has lost a lot of motivation and confidence he once had. IMO, I think he sees his battle with his weight as one that is incredibly daunting and just so massive an undertaking that he can't do it.

Another one of my friends has always been a bit overweight, for a few different reasons. One, when he lived with his parents his mom cooked a lot of food. Two, he played football for four years as a lineman, so he always weighed a little more than desired. Anyways, he sort of embraced the image of being fat, and subsequently called himself "fatboy" on his phone. IMO, this constant barrage of fatness made him comfortable in his body and also made him constantly feel fat. His brother told him a year or so later to break that mentality and do something to loose some weight, and he did. He basically dropped that whole persona and started working out more. He now weighs less than me for the first time since I have known him(7-8 years).

Basically my point is, pointing out someones faults especially when its something like weight has a very negative effect on a person. It is constant reinforcement of their weight and it makes them very insecure. IMO, if you have a friend who is overweight, just do things around them that are physical(ie, sports, hiking, etc.) and don't eat fast food. If you see or know a person who is overweight, don't belittle them and don't disrespect them. Its not funny, and its very counterproductive to them. Show them the same respect you would show anyone else, because I don't think you guys really realize how much damage you do to their self-esteem when you make fun of them.

thatpfunk
05-08-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really don't understand why its okay for people to make fun of fat people. All of them know they are fat and probably all of them are incredibly insecure about it, why should they have to deal with ass holes belitting them because of their weight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is ok for people to walk up to smokers and fake cough? Why is it okay to ridicule a drunk?

Fat people are a burden on the health care system of the good ol' USA. Why shouldn't I bitch and moan about something that bothers me?

ThaSaltCracka
05-08-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why is ok for people to walk up to smokers and fake cough? Why is it okay to ridicule a drunk?

[/ QUOTE ] who does this?

thatpfunk
05-08-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

who does this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Many members of our society.

SpearsBritney
05-08-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Fat people are a burden on the health care system of the good ol' USA. Why shouldn't I bitch and moan about something that bothers me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your "good ol' USA" is the main reason people become obese. It's all balanced though. Sell the disease, then sell the treatment. Ahh...what a beautiful harmony.

http://img169.echo.cx/img169/3983/fatkid3cg.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

05-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Is that photoshopped? cuz if not, I'm truly sickened and his parents should be shot.

ThaSaltCracka
05-08-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

who does this?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]ah okay, when in doubt, make vague claims to support your argument.

tbach24
05-08-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do it and am sure that I'm +EV for myself and society when I do.

SpearsBritney
05-08-2005, 05:35 PM
No it is not. That disgustingly obese child really is eating Mcdonalds.

ThaSaltCracka
05-08-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I think its -EV for you, because someone will eventually kick your ass, and kick it hard.

I love the fact how 90% of the people on this board are perfect in everyway.

tbach24
05-08-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I think its -EV for you, because someone will eventually kick your ass, and kick it hard.

I love the fact how 90% of the people on this board are perfect in everyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously I use good selection. Anyways, even if I didn't, it would still be +EV for society, even if it were -EV for me and I'd be being noble. Duh.

ThaSaltCracka
05-08-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously I use good selection. Anyways, even if I didn't, it would still be +EV for society, even if it were -EV for me and I'd be being noble. Duh.

[/ QUOTE ] soo...what you are saying is, we all should be doing what is best for society, right? Well, sure that sounds like fun, lets get rid of free will, and society will be great!!

SpearsBritney
05-08-2005, 05:41 PM
[b]Researcher Professor Andrew Prentice, of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said: "We all possess a weak innate ability to recognise foods with a high energy density.

"We tend to assess food intake by the size of the portion, yet a fast food meal contains many more calories than a similar-sized portion of a healthy meal.

"Since the dawn of agriculture, the systems regulating human appetite have evolved for the low energy diet still being consumed in rural areas of the developing world where obesity is almost non-existent.

"Our bodies were never designed to cope with the very energy dense foods consumed in the West and this is contributing to a major rise in obesity."

Professor Prentice drew particular attention to the consequences of a diet high in fast foods for children.

"Children have not yet developed any of the learned dietary restraint that needs to be exerted by anyone wishing to remain slim in the modern environment. [b]

tbach24
05-08-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] soo...what you are saying is, we all should be doing what is best for society, right? Well, sure that sounds like fun, lets get rid of free will, and society will be great!!

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I am saying that smoking is harmful for both user and society and therefore people who sponsor something like this aren't great people and therefore should be open to me mocking them.

daryn
05-08-2005, 05:49 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

Quote:

who does this?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]ah okay, when in doubt, make vague claims to support your argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice one

daryn
05-08-2005, 05:51 PM
i have never heard of anyone fake coughing to make fun of a smoker. sounds pretty stupid

i myself hate smoke, but i don't hate smokers. that would be pretty stupid.

jakethebake
05-08-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really don't understand why its okay for people to make fun of fat people. All of them know they are fat and probably all of them are incredibly insecure about it, why should they have to deal with ass holes belitting them because of their weight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should I have to sit next to them on an airplane? Why should I get stuck behind them in public as they waddle around at half everyone else's speed? Why should I have to listen to them huffing and puffing out of breath due to the walk from their car into a restaurant? If they really cared about what people thought, they'd lose weight. If they cared about their own health, they'd lose wight. If they cared about their loved ones' feelings they'd lose weight. If they don't well [censored] them. If they're so pathetically mentally can't make themselves lose weight, [censored] them.

tbach24
05-08-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i have never heard of anyone fake coughing to make fun of a smoker. sounds pretty stupid

i myself hate smoke, but i don't hate smokers. that would be pretty stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smokers cause smoke. I don't hate smokers, but I hate people when they smoke. Also, it isn't stupid because if it helps one person quit, then it has done some good (yes that is a big cliche, but it's true).

ThaSaltCracka
05-08-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I am saying that smoking is harmful for both user and society and therefore people who sponsor something like this aren't great people and therefore should be open to me mocking them.

[/ QUOTE ]wow, its pretty obvious you are under 18, as your arguments are so stupid. Smoking is harmful, yes, and its harmful to second hand smokers, however, if you choose to be around someone who is smoking(and since you are not 21) this would be very hard to do, then you are just to blame for second hand smoke as they are.

Secondly, why is some a bad person just because they smoke? Its a personal decison. But regardless, how does that still give you the right to ridicule them? I know from what you have said on here you have [censored] up various times already during your young life, so can I ridicule you for being a stupid little kid?

ThaSaltCracka
05-08-2005, 05:59 PM
I agree with you, but that doesn't answer my question, why do people feel the need to ridicule them?

tbach24
05-08-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wow, its pretty obvious you are under 18, as your arguments are so stupid. Smoking is harmful, yes, and its harmful to second hand smokers, however, if you choose to be around someone who is smoking(and since you are not 21) this would be very hard to do, then you are just to blame for second hand smoke as they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of situations where I have to be around smokers. Especially here at my school because they basically let the kids smoke wherever they want to (and all but myself and one other kid smoke). Also, the smell of leftover smoke is disgusting and I shouldn't have to deal with taht.

[ QUOTE ]
Secondly, why is some a bad person just because they smoke? Its a personal decison. But regardless, how does that still give you the right to ridicule them? I know from what you have said on here you have [censored] up various times already during your young life, so can I ridicule you for being a stupid little kid?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't really mean that soemone is a bad person if they smoke, but when they do smoke, it is a bad act. Also, yes you can make fun of me if you want to. Except I'm not really a fuckup anymore so it would be kind of pointless since I acknowledge the mistakes of my past.

SpearsBritney
05-08-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you, but that doesn't answer my question, why do people feel the need to ridicule them?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. To make others laugh
2. It's more fun to say "That fat [censored] cut me off" than "that [censored] cut me off"

ThaSaltCracka
05-08-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are plenty of situations where I have to be around smokers. Especially here at my school because they basically let the kids smoke wherever they want to (and all but myself and one other kid smoke).

[/ QUOTE ] outside in a designated area, right? so why be in that area?

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't really mean that soemone is a bad person if they smoke, but when they do smoke, it is a bad act.

[/ QUOTE ] really, why?

[ QUOTE ]
Also, yes you can make fun of me if you want to. Except I'm not really a fuckup anymore so it would be kind of pointless since I acknowledge the mistakes of my past.

[/ QUOTE ] that doesn;t matter, your earlier life as a fuckup greatly effected society in a negative away, ergo you are a bad person, and I should be ridiculing you and everyone like you.

jakethebake
05-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Why the [censored] did you turn the fat losers thread into a smoker thread?

tbach24
05-08-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
outside in a designated area, right? so why be in that area?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, for here they smoke in the van on the way to the gym. I need to go to the gym so I have to be around them. Also, I'm not going to structure my life around smokers. That would be stupid.

[ QUOTE ]
really, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because smoking is harmful to society.

[ QUOTE ]
that doesn;t matter, your earlier life as a fuckup greatly effected society in a negative away, ergo you are a bad person, and I should be ridiculing you and everyone like you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did [censored] up greatly but I would argue that it was +EV for society because it has generated a better person (me). Also, I said that you have free reign to make fun of me.

ThaSaltCracka
05-08-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why the [censored] did you turn the fat losers thread into a smoker thread?

[/ QUOTE ]I didn't.

Stork
05-08-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think he sees his battle with his weight as one that is incredibly daunting and just so massive an undertaking that he can't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe.

jakethebake
05-08-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why should I have to sit next to them on an airplane? Why should I get stuck behind them in public as they waddle around at half everyone else's speed? Why should I have to listen to them huffing and puffing out of breath due to the walk from their car into a restaurant? If they really cared about what people thought, they'd lose weight. If they cared about their own health, they'd lose wight. If they cared about their loved ones' feelings they'd lose weight. If they don't well [censored] them. If they're so pathetically mentally can't make themselves lose weight, [censored] them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot to mention most of them smell bad too.

Drunk Bob
05-08-2005, 06:44 PM
This is a big problem.

I have been taking my elderly parent to a lot of doctors and hospitals and cannot help but notice most of the patients are overweight.

HopeydaFish
05-08-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Typical single minded american answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I think most Americans are of the opinion that some people can't help being fat. 50% of them are overweight or obese, after all.

thatpfunk
05-08-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

who does this?

ah okay, when in doubt, make vague claims to support your argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Do you want me to find a [censored] study that shows a percentage of people who make fun of smokers? Are you really that ignorant?

People ridicule smokers. It doesn't mean they hate them. It happens often in CA; smokers get dirty looks, irritated sighs and gestures, snide comments under other's breath, and outright complaints.

Being fat, for the majority of people, is not a disease. It is behavior that can be changed, same as any drug habit. Why should I keep my mouth shut when these people cost me money every year? They are a burden on our society.

They are too lazy to learn some [censored] self control so I can say whatever I want until they stop stuffing their goddamn faces and learn some personal responsibility. If you don't like it, then go sit on Dr. Phil's lap and whine to him about people being being "mean" and "cruel." If they don't like it, they can change. I am not going censor my beliefs because it might hurt someone's feelings.

edited: because sometimes my fingers have a mind of their own and type habitat when my brain is thinking habit.

SpearsBritney
05-08-2005, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
drug habitat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that PC for crackhouse?

daryn
05-08-2005, 11:18 PM
so you are defending smokers but somehow complaining that fat people cost you so much money per year in health insurance? i just want to get your argument straight.

ThaSaltCracka
05-08-2005, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Do you want me to find a [censored] study that shows a percentage of people who make fun of smokers? Are you really that ignorant?

[/ QUOTE ] you are the one who made the claim, a claim which you simply can not back up by anything other than saying "I have seen it before." Really, stop saying such retarded things.

[ QUOTE ]

They are too lazy to learn some [censored] self control so I can say whatever I want until they stop stuffing their goddamn faces and learn some personal responsibility.

[/ QUOTE ] you sure can, but I think it definitely shows a serious lack of maturity and tact from you. I just hope you never do anything wrong, and have to listen to someone else belittle you simply because you were to lazy to learn.

As for how they are a burden on society, I think that is a gross exageration. The percentage of people who are overly obese and who require serious medical help are not that many. Also, here in the U.S. a large portion of AMericans either have private health insurance or don't have any at all, so I really don't see how they are a burden on you anyways.

thatpfunk
05-08-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

you are the one who made the claim, a claim which you simply can not back up by anything other than saying "I have seen it before." Really, stop saying such retarded things.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying people do not do these things to smokers? Do you live in a bubble? I didn't know I had to cite things that are regular occurances. Do I have to show you a study proving that people wear hats or that Californians like sandals? Are you really so ignorant?

[ QUOTE ]
As for how they are a burden on society, I think that is a gross exageration. The percentage of people who are overly obese and who require serious medical help are not that many. Also, here in the U.S. a large portion of AMericans either have private health insurance or don't have any at all, so I really don't see how they are a burden on you anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look up a study and you will find like most things social/political, you have no idea what you're talking about.

[ QUOTE ]
you sure can, but I think it definitely shows a serious lack of maturity and tact from you. I just hope you never do anything wrong, and have to listen to someone else belittle you simply because you were to lazy to learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Number 1, I never said I did, I simply said I have the right to do so without you whining about it.
Number 2, if someone has a problem with my poor choices and voices their complaints/concerns, I really don't care. I don't need to whine about how sensitive my feelings are. I move on.

thatpfunk
05-08-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

so you are defending smokers but somehow complaining that fat people cost you so much money per year in health insurance? i just want to get your argument straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not defending smokers at all. I am saying that anyone has the right to complain about obesity, smoking, drinking, etc.

TSC complained that people disparage the overweight when I have every right to voice my opinions/problems with it if I would like to.

ThaSaltCracka
05-08-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So you are saying people do not do these things to smokers?

[/ QUOTE ] you told me a large percentage of society does, and I will say that is flat out wrong. I am sure people do this, but they are a small bitchy part of society, and guess, what you are part of the small minority.

[ QUOTE ]
Look up a study and you will find like most things social/political, you have no idea what you're talking about

[/ QUOTE ] please provide me with said study, I am curious about this(honestly), and really don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about. I realize I have gotten under your skin, you know what with asking you to provide some numbers on things, but maybe you aren't use to that. SO I apologize in advance.

ThaSaltCracka
05-08-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
TSC complained that people disparage the overweight when I have every right to voice my opinions/problems with it if I would like to.

[/ QUOTE ] This is not what I am "complaining " about. I am just angry that people feel the need to openly belittle people about their weight, and think its funny. Its not at all, and if anything its incredibly counter-productive.

thatpfunk
05-08-2005, 11:50 PM
um, look up disparage.

Spladle Master
05-08-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

How big did it feel?

[/ QUOTE ]

You win. NH, sir.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been the best exchange of all time.

thatpfunk
05-08-2005, 11:54 PM
Type it into google. These are obvious things that I shouldn't bear the burden to show you. You're not under my skin, it is just an annoyance because you could see all this very easily.

Was. Post Article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46123-2004Oct19.html)

Excerpts: More than a quarter of the phenomenal growth in health care spending over the past 15 years is attributable to obesity, Emory University researchers reported yesterday.

With 60 percent of the U.S. population deemed overweight or obese, study author Kenneth Thorpe said the only way to control soaring medical costs is to begin targeting prevention efforts and treatment on the most costly weight-related illnesses, such as diabetes, high cholesterol and heart disease.

From 1987 to 2001, medical bills for obese people constituted 27 percent of the growth in overall health care spending, he found. The jump in spending was attributable to both a rise in the number of obese Americans and higher costs for treating those patients.

Treating obese patients was 37 percent more expensive than medical care for normal-weight people, Thorpe and colleagues wrote in the journal Health Affairs. Put another way, obesity accounted for an extra $301 per person in medical spending over the 15-year study period.

"The actual numbers are probably higher," Thorpe said, because his team relied on people who self-reported their weight and height.

thatpfunk
05-08-2005, 11:56 PM
And from another article, to cover all the bases:

Researchers say obesity costs in the U.S. totaled up to $92.6 billion last year, and government-funded public insurers Medicare and Medicaid financed about half of those expenses.

So more than $45 billion is shouldered by our society. I think I have every right to say what I want.

Non_Comformist
05-08-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't do it because it is mean and it hurts people, that alone is a good enough reason.

thatpfunk
05-08-2005, 11:59 PM
I thought you were on a month break! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ThaSaltCracka
05-09-2005, 12:00 AM
good article on a lot of levels:

"These numbers show that the prevailing approach for dealing with obesity, which is to blame people who have the problem and hope the situation will disappear, is a fantasy," said Kelly Brownell, director of the Yale Center for Eating and Weight Disorders. "Something dramatic needs to be done to change the environment in order to prevent this problem from occurring in the first place."

daryn
05-09-2005, 12:00 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't do it because it is mean and it hurts people, that alone is a good enough reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo

for instance, i get pissed off by all kinds of people. smokers, stupid people, bad drivers. they all piss me off. but why would i go out of my way to make any of them feel bad? i wouldn't.

ThaSaltCracka
05-09-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]precisely my point, thank you.

Little Fishy
05-09-2005, 12:12 AM
ok so why are fat kids fat??

1. they are glutinous
2. they're lazy and don't exersize
3. there parents give them crappy food that makes you fat
4. there parents don't make them play sports like all kids should
5. they have a somewhat uncommon gnetic disorder
6. there parents have them watch TV and pla video games instead of going outside or reading or using legos

I don't think we can blame the fat kids for being fat... maybe once there in HS or college and they have the knowledge/ means to change... then we can start holding them accountable for their own cholesterol...

Little Fishy
05-09-2005, 12:26 AM
I'm a swimmer at my university and a decent portion of the surroundng comunity knows who I am... because of this i teach private swim lessons throughout the year.

the hardest people to teach are obese children. stroke mechanics really just don't do the job to make them improve... they really need to get stronger in relation to their weight...

i really think that obesity is devestating for children and i think that parents have a lot to do with that... when i have kids I'm going to make them eat right and play sports at least 2-3 seasons a year untill they're in high school adn old enough to choose what to do on their own. I think all parents should take similar approaches to ensure the health of their children.

SpearsBritney
05-09-2005, 12:35 AM
It is foolish to think that the obesity epidemic comes down to nothing more than individual choice. When things happen on such a grand scale, an intellegent person realizes that there are more factors at play. Yes, it is true that if you consciously decide to consume less calories than you burn, and have the dicipline to follow through with it, you will eventually lose weight. However, it would be naive to think that you could miraculously instill more than half of the population with the intense discipline it would take to overcome the overwhelming contributing environment.

thatpfunk
05-09-2005, 12:45 AM
Then what is your solution?

[ QUOTE ]
which is to blame people who have the problem and hope the situation will disappear, is a fantasy,

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe by not hoping and writing it off like you are? Maybe by instilling some sort of personal responsibility? Maybe by not accepting "oh it is a disease and there is nothing I can do about it" ideology.

I am open to anything to solve the problem, ignoring it is not an option.

After all this, I feel like I need to reiterate: I don't do make snide or rude or disparaging comments about the overweight(or smokers or drinkers, etc).

It just pisses me off when someone babies a group of people when 95% of the time it is their fault. People are too good at avoiding blame.

ThaSaltCracka
05-09-2005, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe by not hoping and writing it off like you are?

[/ QUOTE ] what?

[ QUOTE ]

Then what is your solution?

[/ QUOTE ] I think that article you posted discussed possible solutions, all of which seemed reasonable to me. Did you read the whole article, or just the first 4 paragraphs?

[ QUOTE ]
It just pisses me off when someone babies a group of people when 95% of the time it is their fault. People are too good at avoiding blame.

[/ QUOTE ] somehow you have confused not insulting someone as babying them, how I do not know.

thatpfunk
05-09-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that article you posted discussed possible solutions, all of which seemed reasonable to me. Did you read the whole article, or just the first 4 paragraphs?

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a single solution which was to throw money at it in the way of an ad campaign/informationals for kids.

If we are supposed to complacently sit here, afraid to say something that might hurt a fat person's feelings, what are your ideas for solving this epidemic?

DeezNuts
05-09-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If we are supposed to complacently sit here, afraid to say something that might hurt a fat person's feelings, what are your ideas for solving this epidemic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course! Humiliation has consistently been shown to be an effective solution to any problem.

DN

thatpfunk
05-09-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Of course! Humiliation has consistently been shown to be an effective solution to any problem.

DN

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel free to voice your solution as well.

DeezNuts
05-09-2005, 02:16 AM
How about leaving them alone? I hardly think your taxes go up enough to justify consciously attacking someone and making them feel like crap. It really just sounds like a reason to put down a group and make yourself feel superior.

DN

thatpfunk
05-09-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

How about leaving them alone? I hardly think your taxes go up enough to justify consciously attacking someone and making them feel like crap. It really just sounds like a reason to put down a group and make yourself feel superior.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you actually read threads? As has already been stated, they cost the US $45 billion annually. I think that is reason enough to find some sort of goal/solution.

DeezNuts
05-09-2005, 01:34 PM
So what you are saying is that humiliation is a better solution than the ones outlined in the article such as better education, more physical fitness, etc, because it costs nothing?

DN

thatpfunk
05-09-2005, 01:59 PM
I am surprised you could read the article since you can't read a whole goddamn thread.

Now ignoring user.

DeezNuts
05-09-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am surprised you could read the article since you can't read a whole goddamn thread.

Now ignoring user.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. Your location is oh so ironic.

DN

dogsballs
05-11-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
um, look up disparage.

[/ QUOTE ]

disparages are those veggies that make your pee smell funny.

LethalRose
05-11-2005, 11:59 PM
here are my honest thoughts on this issue.

Being overweight isnt always the kids fault...

Parents are to blame just as much as the kids, even more if you ask me.

when we are young, we are tought a lot about our world, how to act around people, how to say please and thank you, how to behave, why things are the way they are, where babies come from, etc..

kids are never taught how to eat correctly, look at school cafeteria's.

exercise is "encouraged" during recess, but that quickly goes away in middle school. A lot of kids hate gym by the time they enter high school. Im gym you are being constantly graded and such - the athletic kids get more athletic and those unathletic get more depressed.

When i was younger I was overweight - I was around 300ibs.

I think there are 5 main reasons why

1) I never exercised - but nobody encouraged me too.
2) My parents "bribed" me with food to go and do places. If i didnt want to go to church, i got candy so i would go.
3) I knew i was overweight, however i was unaware exercise and a diet could quickly make me skinny - i felt i would be fat forever.
4) My parents failed to teach me how to eat, they still dont have a damn clue about nutrition, even after I tell them repeatedly.
5) My parents fed me fast food when they were in a hurry or too lazy to eat. I myself will never feed my kids fast food, ever.

I was made fun of in school, called fat and such. never beat up though, i wasnt the fattest kid in my class either - that helps.

and I never make fun of fat people - I've done a few speeches in my school, telling my story and telling people what worked for me.

I dont think fat people are necessarily lazy, i know a lot of skinny people who are very lazy. In highschool I worked hard and graduated in top 10% of my class, so was I lazy b/c i was fat? athletically yes - overrall no.

When i graduated highschool my new friends from college kept bugging me to go to the gym, almost everyday id get a call asking to go to the gym, my usual response was "whats the point? it wont make any difference" or something similar.
A couple months later I was so annoyed I finally agreed to go just to shut them up. So i went, and it was kinda fun. couple weeks later i went again and at some point I started to feel very energetic and good after working out, so i started going a lot. eventually leading me to go from 300ibs to 160ibs.

Its very weird to go from being called fat everyday to people being impressed with my body. In the back of my mind I still think Im fat - It will probably take a while before I dont think that anymore.

Willluck
05-12-2005, 01:32 AM
I am a fat guy who makes fun of other fat people, and stupid people...sometimes I represent myself as quite the a-hole...meh.

ripdog
05-12-2005, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So more than $45 billion is shouldered by our society. I think I have every right to say what I want.

[/ QUOTE ]

The estimated U.S. population for July 2005 (http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/fields/2119.html) is 295,734,134. So you actually believe that the per capita expense of obesity in the U.S. is at least $152,163.70 per person? I seriously doubt that. Do I have the right to say that you don't know what the [censored] you're talking about?

uw_madtown
05-12-2005, 03:23 AM
I wrote a huge, long-winded post, but decided it was way too complex and that I hadn't completely gotten across my point anyway.

pfunk is right about two things:
1) There's a huge gap between how society views ridiculing a smoker versus a fat person. Have you ever seen someone come to a smoker's defense when they're being ridiculed? Even if you would NEVER ridicule a smoker, very few non-smokers will actively defend the smoker's right to smoke -- meanwhile, multitudes of normal weight people will jump to the defense of fatties being ridiculed by people like pfunk.

2) Obesity, in the majority of cases today, is not a disease. Some people may be slightly genetically susceptible due to a low metabolism, but there aren't many people who cannot achieve a healthy weight through proper diet and exercise. The thing is, modern society isn't just gluttonous -- it's also lazy. And even worse, modern technology allows us to indulge gluttony and laziness more than ever.

Others are right in that:
1) Personally heckling fatties isn't a solution. However, I think fostering a sense of personal responsibility is necessary, and you just aren't doing that if you nod your head sympathetically when your buddy talks about how he just can't lose his extra 40 lbs because obesity is a disease. You can be supportive without enabling him -- help him find diets or exercise plans and help him stick to them. Or at least vocally support those routes.

thatpfunk
05-12-2005, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The estimated U.S. population for July 2005 is 295,734,134. So you actually believe that the per capita expense of obesity in the U.S. is at least $152,163.70 per person? I seriously doubt that. Do I have the right to say that you don't know what the [censored] you're talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

No you don't because obviously you are too [censored] dumb to read an entire thread. Get your head out of your ass, do some goddamn research and realize you are a complete moron.

ripdog
05-12-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The estimated U.S. population for July 2005 is 295,734,134. So you actually believe that the per capita expense of obesity in the U.S. is at least $152,163.70 per person? I seriously doubt that. Do I have the right to say that you don't know what the [censored] you're talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

No you don't because obviously you are too [censored] dumb to read an entire thread. Get your head out of your ass, do some goddamn research and realize you are a complete moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think maybe you ought to try doing some basic math and hopefully you'll realize that the numbers you are quoting are ridiculous. That is all I was pointing out, well, that and the fact that you're a prick.

thatpfunk
05-12-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think maybe you ought to try doing some basic math and hopefully you'll realize that the numbers you are quoting are ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes the numbers are ridiculous. Maybe, as I said earlier, you SHOULD DO SOME [censored] RESEARCH BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH.

According to WebMD:
"Researchers say obesity costs in the U.S. totaled up to $92.6 billion last year, and government-funded public insurers Medicare and Medicaid financed about half of those expenses."

From Washington Post:
"Federal officials have estimated that treating obesity-related illnesses costs about $93 billion a year"

CDC.gov:
" According to a study of national costs attributed to both overweight (BMI 25–29.9) and obesity (BMI greater than 30), medical expenses accounted for 9.1 percent of total U.S. medical expenditures in 1998 and may have reached as high as $78.5 billion ($92.6 billion in 2002 dollars) (Finkelstein, Fiebelkorn, and Wang, 2003). Approximately half of these costs were paid by Medicaid and Medicare.

Great West Health Care:
"As a result, Americans’ extra weight costs the nation as much as $93 billion in annual medical bills – half of that paid by our taxes."

RTI.org:
"A study conducted by economists from RTI International and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) demonstrates that obesity and overweight conditions, which affect more than half of Americans, contribute as much as $93 billion to the nation's yearly medical bill. Public payers -- Medicare and Medicaid -- finance about half of these costs"

Wow, you're an idiot.

Dr. Strangelove
05-12-2005, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"The use of the third-person plural pronoun they to refer to a singular noun or pronoun is attested as early as 1300, and many admired writers have used they, them, themselves, and their to refer to singular nouns such as one, a person, an individual, and each. W.M. Thackeray, for example, wrote in Vanity Fair in 1848, “A person can't help their birth,” and more recent writers such as George Bernard Shaw and Anne Morrow Lindbergh have also used this construction, in sentences such as “To do a person in means to kill them,” and “When you love someone you do not love them all the time.” "

"Panel members do seem to distinguish between singular nouns, such as the typical student, and pronouns that are grammatically singular but semantically plural, such as anyone and everyone. Sixty-four percent of panel members accept the sentence No one is willing to work for those wages anymore, are they?"

Dictionary.com