PDA

View Full Version : Obligated to play for the jackpot?

11-23-2002, 09:59 PM
Usually I play Stud at the Taj, but one day I went to the Tropicana where there is a bad-beat jackpot in effect. My doorcard is the deuce of diamonds so I make the bring-in bet. The trey and four of diamonds follow, and then I fold upon receiving a rag. Suddenly I am criticized because I folded a potential jackpot hand. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Hey, folks, am I obligated to stay in the pot because I may possibly just maybe have a hand that potentially could be a straight flush and part of a bad-beat jackpot? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Jack Enright
tahur@aol.com

pudley4
11-23-2002, 10:27 PM
1-If you didn't have the A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif , 5 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif , or 6 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif already, then you've got no shot at the jackpot with only one card left to come.
2-You can call with a few hands that don't have correct odds to call, but if you factor in several thousand dollars for hitting the jackpot, it becomes worth it. However, you're not obligated to call.

11-24-2002, 04:36 PM
I hope not. The jackpot rules at the Tropicana are such that even if you do hit the str8 flush, someone has to make at least quad queens. The chances of both of these happening are extremely slim, slim enough that I doubt they're good enough to go for the jackpot.

By the way, that bad beat jackpot will probably never be hit in stud, at least not for quite a while. If you're thinking it will get so big it would be worth going for, the requirement in holdem is Aces full of Kings, and the holdem and stud jackpots are combined into one big "bad beat jackpot."

11-25-2002, 11:34 AM
Just for your info, I am positive that the second BB jackpot at Trop was hit in a Stud game, I don't know the details of the hand, though.

11-25-2002, 02:10 PM
If I remember correctly, the Trop(AC) specifically picked the bad-beat requirements to balance the jackpot chances equally between the 7-stud and HE games. Whether the goal was accomplished or not, I am not sure...But, I think they got it pretty close.

-Huh?