PDA

View Full Version : Two similar hands late in a Stud high SNG

soultwist
05-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Tournament - 7 Card Stud High (200/400), Ante 25, Bring-In 50 (hand converter (http://www.geocities.com/greenage22/7StudConverter.hta.txt))

Seat 1: (1212)
Seat 3: (2492)
Seat 4: (535)
Hero: (635)
Seat 8: (1526)

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx 6/images/graemlins/club.gif___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Seat 4: xx xx A/images/graemlins/club.gif___folds
Hero: 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif___brings-in___folds
Seat 8: xx xx Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif___completes

I think this is a pretty straight forward fold, right? I see a lot of players risking all their chips here with a 3 card flush, I don't want any part of that.

Second hand a few minutes later:

Tournament - 7 Card Stud High (300/600), Ante 50, Bring-In 100 (hand converter (http://www.geocities.com/greenage22/7StudConverter.hta.txt))

Seat 1: (612)
Seat 3: (3142)
Hero: (1920)
Seat 8: (726)

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx T/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Hero: T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___brings-in___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/club.gif___completes

4th Street

Seat 1: xx xx T/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif___checks___calls (all-in)
Hero: T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls

5th Street

Seat 1: xx xx T/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif___all-in
Hero: T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___checks___calls (all-in)

6th Street

Seat 1: xx xx T/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif___all-in
Hero: T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif
Seat 8: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif___all-in

River

Seat 1: xx xx T/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif xx___all-in
Hero: T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Seat 8: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif xx___all-in

Results:

Seat 1: balance 0, lost 612 [ Qh 7h Th Ks 9s 8h 8s ] [ a pair of eights -- Ks,Qh,Th,8h,8s ]
Hero: balance 3308, bet 1250, collected 2638, net +1388 [ Td 6d 2d 8d 6h 6c 9d ] [ a flush, ten high -- Td,9d,8d,6d,2d ]
Seat 8: balance 0, lost 726 [ Ad 4d 4c 8c Qd 6s Js ] [ a pair of fours -- Ad,Qd,Js,4d,4c ]
Seat 8: balance 1676, bet 225, collected 375, net +150 [ XX XX Qs ]

Almost the same hand, I'm the bring in again, same guy completes, 1 dead flush card both time.

Differences:

The first time I was risking all my chips, this time I can try to get them both all in and be basically guaranteed cashing. Also last time he completed into a larger doorcard.

I think all of this is pretty straight forward, I just want to make sure that I played it "right" and not played it "lucky". Is the first hand to tight? The second one to loose?

Andy B
05-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Yeah, I don't think I'd want to stake my tournament life on that first hand. You're going to have to find a hand and run with it soon, but it would be better if you could be the aggressor.

The second hand is better because your two-card low is better and there's another player in who probably has a weak hand (if it's a good player calling a full bet with a Ten in the door, though, beware). Catching cards certainly helps. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aicirt
05-07-2005, 01:10 PM
The hands posted are stud high hands.

Aicirt

mscags
05-07-2005, 01:20 PM
I think you played it great myself. I agree, I'm not putting all of my chips in with some flush draw. The second is much better considering you have more chips, an overcard to his completion, not to mention the fact you can get them both all in like you said. Nice hand, glad it worked out for you.

Scags

Aicirt
05-07-2005, 01:25 PM
I play primairly stud 8, but I almost always play tournament stud 8, so take it for what its worth.

Is this a party sng? Seems like very few chips in play. Also, if it is a Party sng, you can almost count on someone doing something really stupid soon.

1st hand, I would at least consider completing the bring in depending upon how easially you think you can get them to fold. However, if this is the typicall Party sng, I think you can fold here and be better off picking a hand where you can raise the bring in to get your chips in. If this were on Stars and you were this short stacked compared to the bring in, I would think that youd have to get your money in with a fairly live flush draw and an over card, simply because the big stacks would have a lot more chips than the big stacks do here.

I play the 2nd hand the exact same way.

Aicirt

soultwist
05-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the replys. As was noted, this is a high only tournament. And, yes it is at Party. I know I'm not stealing quite as much as I should on the bubble, I had a run of bad steal attempts and tightened up. I'm now working on my play at this level. I'm always amazed at the number of players that will bet it all on a flush draw as a dog to a big pair.

Andy B
05-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Aack. OK, on the first hand, I would at least consider bringing it in for a full bet, but with the Queen and the Ace out there, the minimum is probably a good play. When the Queen completes with the Ace yet to act behind him, that means he's fairly likely to have a big pair. You might not want to stake your tournament life on this hand.

The second hand I probably muck. There's a good chance that you will be able to sneak into the money just by watching these guys play. If seat 1 wins, then seat 8 will have enough for the ante +24 on the next hand. This is the kind of hand you want multi-way action and implied odds with. You have neither here. On the other hand, the way you played it does allow you to bust two people at once if you hit, and I don't enter these things hoping to creep into third place. But I still think that this is a fold.