PDA

View Full Version : Windows updates can kiss my...

poker-penguin
05-07-2005, 10:47 AM
I made a rookie mistake, and actually believed Microsoft when they told me there were "critical" security updates (I was looking for a driver) for my system.

I thought "what the hell, probably won't do any harm"

How wrong I was.

I DLed, installed the update, and rebooted.

1) Window reset my screen and colour settings back to "ghetto mid-80s" (640x480 256 colour vs my normal 1024 X 768 high colour). That was a little annoying but an easy fix.

2) Firefox appeared to have disappeared. No toolbar shortcut, no desktop shortcut. Guess that will teach me for visiting Microsoft.com while using a superior browser.

3) Not that having to use IE mattered, because my wireless network card wasn't working. Hardware troubleshooter says everything is working fine. Ok, whatever, uninstall, reinstall, back in business.

NOPE.

6 hours later (involving a couple of phone calls, lots of swearing - my throat is actually sore from how angry I got, and several downloads on my flatmate's computer, burn to CD, install on mine) I finally get my sweet beloved internet connection back.

That is the last time I update windows, critical or not. **** em, I'll use a second third party firewall to keep me safe from nasties.

Thanks for listening, I needed to vent (and it makes a change from 900 different Empire threads saying the same damn thing, right?)

So...

How hard is it to play poker on a linux machine?

Torr
05-07-2005, 11:01 AM
If you have windows XP and havent turned this feature off, the "system restore" feature is your friend.
Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->system restore
It has saved me numerous times.

toss
05-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Is anyone else alarmed at the number of poker playing penguins lately? I swear I see em all over the place now.

poker-penguin
05-07-2005, 01:43 PM
It's my fan club - people read my wild rantings about stuff on my blog, see how I pwned the 1-2 Razz game at Games Grid, and won a multi table tournament once, and just want to be like me.

I've got Win 2K unfortunately, but will look into system restore, thanks.

tylerdurden
05-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Windows update wireless drivers *always* hose everything up. Does W2K have the driver roll-back feature? That's really saved my ass in XP.

poker-penguin
05-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Damn it there's no system restore under system tools (or is it only there after you install updates?)

Seriously folks, how hard is it to use Linux and play poker online?