PDA

View Full Version : Where to sit

Jason Strasser
05-07-2005, 06:53 AM
I think in SNGS it is a big mistake to sit to the left of a good player. If there is a good aggressive player I much rather sit on his right so I can be the one stealing. Generally good players steal a lot and call less, so it makes sense...

Agree?

curtains
05-07-2005, 06:59 AM
Yes, I think this is obvious, yet I've seen many people post the opposite, which is simply terrible advice. Honestly I think there's no need to avoid a table with 1-2 great players on it as long as you are 1-2 spots to their right.

Having position on your opponent is only useful when there is more than one betting round. Considering that most of the time in the important stages there is only one round of betting, it's usually a huge advantage to be the first one to act.

Phoenix1010
05-07-2005, 07:05 AM
Agree. You'll have a much easier time stealing blinds from a tight aggressive player, and you won't have to worry as much about him stealing yours if you keep him to your left. Having position over your skilled opponents is always a large benefit, but this is not as large a factor in SnG's, where postflop play is not nearly as important as preflop play, and extra information isn't as important as pure math. With the fast blind structure, it can help tremendously to get an extra blind steal where a weaker player to your left might have called your push, or to get the SB folded to you where a stronger player might have pushed.

In relation to the most skilled opponents, my favorite place to sit is at another table.

-Phoenix

treeofwisdom7
05-07-2005, 07:23 AM
i was thinking and i think i rather have skilled opponents act b4 me.. for me to understand why a good player should be to my right i would need examples. that said i think i rather have agressive bully opponents to my left just because i have been able to check / push against them with much sucess..

Bigwig
05-07-2005, 07:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i was thinking and i think i rather have skilled opponents act b4 me.. for me to understand why a good player should be to my right i would need examples. that said i think i rather have agressive bully opponents to my left just because i have been able to check / push against them with much sucess..

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were in a deep stack tourney, I'd agree. But SNG's are a different animal. A lot of the play is at levels where any raise or call of a raise will pot commit a player, and this significant difference means you should be sitting to the right of the good players. Good players in SNG's are tight. You want tight players on your left, and loose players on your right.

Gus Hansen's don't exist in SNG's, unless they like to donate money.

treeofwisdom7
05-07-2005, 07:42 AM
thats interesting but im not a good multi tourney player so i wouldnt know what the best plays are.. from now on i'll sit to the right of the guys who are first on the table because i assume they are tight or at least more often than not..

Bigwig
05-07-2005, 07:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'll sit to the right of the guys who are first on the table because i assume they are tight or at least more often than not..

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm quite certain that there is absolutely zero correlation between how fast a player sits down and their tight/loose tendencies.

ZebraAss
05-07-2005, 07:45 AM
/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Phil Van Sexton
05-07-2005, 08:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

pergesu
05-07-2005, 08:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So they can shove their stack in your face 5 times in a row, and finally you get fed up and decide your calling with the next face card you see?

No thanks.

The whole point of these SNGs is to steal the blinds enough that even if they do call on occasion, you still figure to make money. You can do this against a player who has no problem throwing QJs in the muck. Against a guy who sees pretty suited big cards, you're going to bust.

lorinda
05-07-2005, 08:55 AM
I always sit as far away as possible.

I want to be in pots with the good player as infrequently as I can.

If forced, I take the right.

Lori

Degen
05-07-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is cash game mentality. A great deal of success in SNG's lies in blind stealing.

I agree 100% with what curtains said about not minding having one or two great players (or in my case at the 33's, having one or two twoplustwoers) at the table, so long as they are in the blinds when i am on the button.

Andre

Seadood228
05-07-2005, 09:50 AM
SNG - left
MTT (non pushfest) - right

Early part of a SNG - right

Can we just switch places midway through?

durron597
05-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Link (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=1137899 &Forum=f22)

Apathy
05-07-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'll sit to the right of the guys who are first on the table because i assume they are tight or at least more often than not..

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm quite certain that there is absolutely zero correlation between how fast a player sits down and their tight/loose tendencies.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the higher levels this can be true, the best players usually practice seat selection and therefore are rarely one of the first two or three to sit down. From that you can usually assume the first few players to sit down would be better on your right, so you can sit and 'protect' yourself with a barrier of bad players and not have to worry about some good aggro (late) player sitting in your SB.

tech
05-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Being to the left of a good player sucks.

ReDeYES88
05-07-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SNG - left
MTT (non pushfest) - right

Early part of a SNG - right

Can we just switch places midway through?

[/ QUOTE ]

sure, it happens every time you make the money. problem is you don't stop switching.

microbet
05-07-2005, 01:08 PM
It makes a big difference whether you know each other or not.

If you are to their left and they know you know them, they will know you are more willing to call, because you will put them on a looser range. You will hopefully have blinds to your left that you can steal more easily.

If you are their right, and they know you, you may not be able to steal their blinds that often.

If you know them and they don't know you, then their blinds should be easier to steal than normal so it would be great to be to their right.

maddog2030
05-07-2005, 02:44 PM
Agree. If you sit to his left you're going to lose stealing oppurtunities to him getting into the pot first. Across from him early game, by late game you're going to end up 1-2 spots on his left on average. Then he'll be stealing YOUR blind. You'll be stealing from others just to keep up.

Not to insult you or anything, but I'm kind of surprised at seeing this question come from a proven winning $215 player. Are these tables getting even more shark infested or something where you simply can't avoid them? Honest question.

Gramps
05-07-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think in SNGS it is a big mistake to sit to the left of a good player. If there is a good aggressive player I much rather sit on his right so I can be the one stealing. Generally good players steal a lot and call less, so it makes sense...

Agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Nothing more frustrating than getting good-not-great hands with about 5 BB getting ready to push and having that opportunity constantly taken away by an aggressive player or two pushing in front of you.

If the player is totally reckless on pushing (recent example, pushing something like K8o for 1500 CO 100/200 with 7 or 8 players left - the type than can't resist running over the table, or will literally push any two the next hand after losing a pot and getting short-stacked), then I want to be 3 or 4 to the left so I can get involved with a good hand and a nice blinds overlay.

But alas, I'm usually lazy and just sit in my corners so I get the best view while multi-tabling.

FieryJustice
05-07-2005, 04:02 PM
I think the simple little fact that some people are missing is that "good" players are usually agro enough to push with bad hands. Knowing this, you can call them with Kx and probably double up. Even given this, I still prefer to be the one pushing becasuse of what Gramps said. They will usually take the play away from you when you plan on pushing with junk.

Jcardshark

curtains
05-07-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At the higher levels this can be true, the best players usually practice seat selection and therefore are rarely one of the first two or three to sit down. From that you can usually assume the first few players to sit down would be better on your right, so you can sit and 'protect' yourself with a barrier of bad players and not have to worry about some good aggro (late) player sitting in your SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder, is this the first time the well known concept of "unknown player forcefield" has been been discussed on 2+2?

Bigwig
05-07-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder, is this the first time the well known concept of "unknown player forcefield" has been been discussed on 2+2?

[/ QUOTE ]
I just watched the Episode III trailer online.

It's true.

Curtains is an agent of the dark side.

DonButtons
05-07-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

uhh, common sense.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Apathy
05-07-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't aware it was well known, so probably... I have many other weird things I like to base my seat selection off of, I can also be quite lazy and just sit down as soon as tables open as well. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Benholio
05-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Did anyone else read this thread and suspect that maybe is WASN'T good to sit to the right of good players? Otherwise, why would Strassa make a post about such an obvious concept? You are trying to trick us!!

curtains
05-07-2005, 07:48 PM
I've seen a few "good" players act as though sitting to the left of good players was correct in sit and go's. Needless to say I didn't think they were very good after reading it.