PDA

View Full Version : The reason for allowing cards to be mucked?

og5
05-07-2005, 02:53 AM
Hey guys, I don't know what I'd do if I played live because I couldn't check the hand histories to see how my opponents played their hands. Which makes me wonder, what exactly is the point of allowing someone to muck their cards? Isn't poker a game of limited information where you play your cards and your opponents? I think it makes sense for everyone to have to showdown their cards so you can develop an idea of how they play. When everyone mucks this information is lost and it becomes much more of a guessing game (he raised the turn and checked behind so I think he had a busted draw) Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Niediam
05-07-2005, 03:08 AM
It is allowed so you can detect collusion.

waffle
05-07-2005, 05:22 AM
Wow, did you even read his entire post?

Here are my thoughts:

Which makes me wonder, what exactly is the point of allowing someone to play with their cards face down? Isn't poker a game of limited information where you play your cards and your opponents? I think it makes sense for everyone to have to play with their cards face up so you can develop an idea of how they play. When everyone plays with the cards face down this information is lost and it becomes much more of a guessing game (he raised the turn and checked behind so I think he had a busted draw) Any thoughts appreciated.

Schwartzy61
05-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Cards are allowed to be mucked for exactly the reason you describe. So people can make plays at a pot without worrying about having to show you what kind of play he made and with what cards. Bluffing at pots becomes much less valuable because everyone will know when and how you bluffed. If you are allowed to muck you could have been betting with a weak kicker, etc.

As for the first reply, hands are not mucked in tournament play with an all-in to prevent collusion. And that had absolutely nothing to do with the OP's question.

Niediam
05-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Sometimes I read things which are not there at 3am. Hehe. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BarronVangorToth
05-07-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what they say. But it doesn't. It is easily one of the most idiotic rules in poker and should be eliminated.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

bernie
05-07-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's what they say. But it doesn't. It is easily one of the most idiotic rules in poker and should be eliminated

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it your talking about the IWTSTH rule. I'm guessing you're also for not being able to do that with hand histories online?

b

bernie
05-07-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cards are allowed to be mucked for exactly the reason you describe. So people can make plays at a pot without worrying about having to show you what kind of play he made and with what cards. Bluffing at pots becomes much less valuable because everyone will know when and how you bluffed

[/ QUOTE ]

So there's no bluffing online? One hand isn't going to tell the average idiot on the table much. Usually, your reason above isn't even whey they're asking to see your hand.

b

bernie
05-07-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what I'd do if I played live because I couldn't check the hand histories to see how my opponents played their hands. When everyone mucks this information is lost and it becomes much more of a guessing game

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd actually have to learn how to play the game and use your brain.

[ QUOTE ]
I think it makes sense for everyone to have to showdown their cards so you can develop an idea of how they play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you want everyone to have an idea as to how you play?

b