PDA

View Full Version : $55: Why can't I lay down top pair when check-raised in early rounds?

AA suited
05-07-2005, 12:09 AM
blinds = 10/15 or 15/30

i raise 3bb preflop with AK or AQ.

I flop top pair on 2 tone board. i bet 3/4 pot and get check raised.

1/2 the time it's a bluff (flush draw, middle pair or even stone cold). the other times they have 2 pair or a set.

and when they do have a hand, i'm usually crippled or eliminated all together.

i can't seem to lay down tpgk.

is it weak tight to fold to a check-raise on the flop when you don't have a read? or is it stupid to take the risk at such low blinds?

what is the correct play when you have tpgk and are check-raised by a player you don't have a read on?

Seadood228
05-07-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what is the correct play when you have tpgk and are check-raised by a player you don't have a read on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on what he has /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously, against an unknown I'd probly check the flop, even on a scary board, and either call or minraise the turn. It's a standard line, but it's also the line indicative of a huge hand.

Sometimes they'll outdraw you, but generally it you won't lose that much, which IMO is most important given the structure of these things.

I think this is a much easier situation than say, having TT on a 665 two tone board.

TruFloridaGator
05-07-2005, 12:22 AM
Depends on your stack & how many players are get to see the flop. I would be pushing(especially on party structure) & re-raising w/ AK too, post a few of the hands, each are different.

Pepsquad
05-07-2005, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, against an unknown I'd probly check the flop, even on a scary board, and either call or minraise the turn. It's a standard line, but it's also the line indicative of a huge hand.

Sometimes they'll outdraw you, but generally it you won't lose that much, which IMO is most important given the structure of these things.

I think this is a much easier situation than say, having TT on a 665 two tone board.

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect, I can't see checking TPTK on the flop as being a great idea over the long run. This just isn't tight-aggressive play. Too many opponents will call a flop bet with top pair weaker kicker, 2nd pair, draws and even 3rd pair and then dump their hand to your turn bet unimproved. You MUST bet this flop.
When check-raised, DO NOT CALL! You need to decide right then and there where you are going with this hand. You are either re-raising or folding. Without a read, I usually
re-raise or move in with TPTK. Most opponents with a REALLY strong hand (flopped set, straight, flush) wait to check-raise the turn. When I'm check-raised on the flop and get my all-in called it's generally 2-pair or a vulnerable flopped flush that doesn't want to see a 4th of that suit show up.
There's so many variables at play here that will cause me to act differently, but all things being equal (and you know nothing of your opponent), I think it would be profitable to re-raise or move in when you are check-raised on the flop in levels 1 and 2 with TPTK.

Pep.

curtains
05-07-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate this as a normal line in a $55 sit and go.

Degen
05-07-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1/2 the time it's a bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe i'm missing something but if that is accurate...then calling/pushing is the right move 100% of the time.

Andre

Seadood228
05-07-2005, 09:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate this as a normal line in a $55 sit and go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that because of the blind structure? In most of the big bet NL cash games I play, always betting the flop with TPGK and always making continuation is a good way to bleed chips fast, but there's quite a bit of difference between having 250BBs behind in a non escalting blind structure and Party's rapidly escalating structure. There's also a pretty big difference in the level of play /images/graemlins/smile.gif

And I don't think the "that's too weak" or "it's not tight aggressive" answer is gonna cut it. If that's the case then some of the best NLHE players out there play "weak"... And they don't even play Party SNGs where chips have much more value later on.

Personally I'd rather err on the weak side early than take the chance of putting my chips in as a huge dog, but we all know that's very situational.

Seadood228
05-07-2005, 10:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe i'm missing something but if that is accurate...then calling/pushing is the right move 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well technically it would be the wrong move if some of these are semibluffs with draws /images/graemlins/smile.gif.. plus there's really not a lot in the pot.. at least on level 1.