Player A posts the small blind of $5.
fnord posts the big blind of $10.

Player A: -- -- -- -- --
fnord: 8d 7h 6c 2h 4h
Player B: -- -- -- -- --

First Round:

Player B folds. Player A raises to $20. fnord
re-raises to $30. Player A calls.

Player A takes 2 cards. fnord stands pat.

Second Round:

Player A checks. fnord bets $10. Player A
raises to $20. fnord calls.

Player A stands pat. fnord stands pat.

Third Round:

Player A checks. fnord checks.

Player A stands pat. fnord stands pat.

Final Round:

Player A bets $20. fnord calls.

Luv2DriveTT
05-06-2005, 11:46 PM
ohh... thats a tough one. Against multiple opponents I'd consider breaking the 8 ( 11 outs to another 8 or better 3 times).

Villain checks the third draw betting round, I think I bet if he is a thinking opponent. HOWEVER I like your splay against the standard player at UB's TD games up to 4/8 in my experience.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

randomstumbl
05-07-2005, 07:52 AM
I think this hand is very player dependant. He drew 2 and stood pat. If he's the kind of opponent that goes to showdown once he gets 98 or better, then I like your line.

At first, I thought you should bet going into the third draw, but I think that's a mistake. Player A could be looking to check-raise with a monster. At the same time, when you check behind, he's less likely to break when he's behind and you can pick up a bet on the end by calling or betting if checked to.

At showdown, I wouldn't be surprised to see something like 96543 or something else with a straight draw in it (if the player has been opening with weak hands). On the other hand, I wouldn't be that surprised to see a tricky opponent play a better 8 about the same way (because they missed an attempted check raise). I like playing passive here because you essentially guarantee yourself the pot when he has a nine that he can break and minimize your losses when he has a much better hand.

Edited to add: I don't think it's smart to break the 8 here too often in a heads up pot. It's too easy to exploit a player that's willing to break an 8 after someone draws two and stands pat.

fnord_too
05-07-2005, 10:18 AM
I'm pretty sure this was against a good player or there is no way I take the passive line here.

The flop check raise I think definitely sais he caught two perfect cards to at least a very smooth 9 OR it is a snow job. My plan now is to get to showdown cheeply and see what he makes this play with.

On the turn, since I only beat a couple of the hands I put him on, I am really happy to take a free street.

Not much to say about the river.

He had a 7 and mhing.

I've taken a few shots at the 10/20 now, and I don't really think the quality of play is much above the 5/10, which is just about the same as the 4/8 and 3/6, but I have noticed the games stay short handed a lot more (which I love) and that a lot more people hit and run (which I hate). I have also noticed players like _mullet_, who I think is pretty good (though I am not sure I really know what pretty good is in this game yet!) don't stick around to play me HU when it gets to HU, so I take that to mean I my HU game is OK.

I need to play a bunch more 1/2 NL to build up my UB BR to fund my TD habit. I really want to sit in on some of the 80/160 games. I rail bird them some and there are a lot of awful players who sit in those from what I can tell.

randomstumbl
05-07-2005, 10:41 AM
If this is a smarter player, then the check-raise does look a whole lot stronger and I like the passive line even more. Obviously, hindsight's 20/20.

I've only taken one shot at 10/20. It was heads up against a fairly regular player on there. After I got about 15BB up, he wanted to move to 30/60 and I was really wishing I hadn't cashed most of my bankroll out at that point (for some reason he kept betting the river with Q high). On the other hand, I notice that some of better looking 30/60 players will drop down and play 10/20. FWIW, I recognized pretty quickly that you were a much better than average player in the 5/10 game.

Chris Daddy Cool
05-08-2005, 01:32 PM
hey fnord,

i like the way you thought and played this hand. the 10/20 in my brief experience with it wasn't very tough. it was pretty much on par with the 4/8 and 5/10 games. the 30/60 and 80/160 can be great at times, but from what i've experienced and played the games on average are only so-so as there are often really strong players there too.