PDA

View Full Version : The Anti-Harry Potter Thread

istewart
05-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Children's books are good.

For children.

If you've read any of these books and you're over the age of 14, your play was gay, in my opinion.

thirddan
05-06-2005, 09:18 PM
whatever dude, the books are really good, and the movies are entertaining...i know a ton of people my age (21) that feel the same way...

tbach24
I've read them all. I don't know if I was <14 though. Probably for all but the 5th.

Anyways, HP = teh pwn.

Matty
New book and a new movie coming out soon.

It'll be the first time I've gone to the theater in many months.

istewart
05-06-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i know a ton of people my age (21) that feel the same way...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and I regard this as a problem. I know a lot of people that liked that piece of [censored] The DaVinci Code as well. It doesn't make it right.

jason_t
05-06-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
whatever dude, the books are really good, and the movies are entertaining...i know a ton of people my age (21) that feel the same way...

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a lot of 21 year old Christians.

YourFoxyGrandma
05-06-2005, 09:26 PM
From what little I know about the stories, they're pretty decent. Reading them and liking them is one thing, though; obsessing over them is another.

a500lbgorilla
05-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Great books. I enjoyed them all and I can't wait for the next one. Still, I'm more freaking excited about the new Star Wars movie which might be precieved as gay. Pick your poison.

istewart
05-06-2005, 09:28 PM
JK Rowling books belong on the rack right above the books with Fabio on the cover in your drugstore.

stabn
05-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Harry potter > you.

Tron
05-06-2005, 10:39 PM
http://www.rit.edu/~emr3008/meicon.jpg <--- Don't hate

YourFoxyGrandma
05-06-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.rit.edu/~emr3008/meicon.jpg <--- Don't hate

[/ QUOTE ]

Here we go again. As soon as I bring back the old avatar the Harry Potter threads start showing up.

Tron
05-06-2005, 10:55 PM
What I really want to find is the Photoshop of you with the glasses and lightning scar.

Sponger15SB
05-06-2005, 11:11 PM
I think Dynasty is too busy crying to respond to this thread.

B Dids
05-07-2005, 12:19 AM
They're fun. Is something wrong with fun?

SackUp
05-07-2005, 12:24 AM
I'm 24 but have the mentality of a 14 year old so I think Potter is legit.

I've read the books and watched all the movies. Definitely entertaining.

Also, this is like saying any movie that has cartoons is not worth watching if you are over a certain age. Which is clearly incorrect.

istewart
05-07-2005, 12:28 AM
I'm not incredibly against the movies, although of course they suck because fantasy in general sucks.

jakethebake
05-07-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this just confirms my belief that most people are stupid.

Terrabon98
05-07-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i know a ton of people my age (21) that feel the same way...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and I regard this as a problem. I know a lot of people that liked that piece of [censored] The DaVinci Code as well. It doesn't make it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why must you blow out my candle to make yours burn brighter?

Dynasty
05-07-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your reaction is just the typical reaction some people have to something that's really popular. Some people need to put down others in order to define themselves in a way they feel good about.

jgorham
05-07-2005, 01:22 AM
Have you read the books or are you just judging them out of turn?

jakethebake
05-07-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your reaction is just the typical reaction some people have to something that's really popular. Some people need to put down others in order to define themselves in a way they feel good about.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow..that was so deep. actually there are plenty of popular things i like. then there are popular things that are stupid...like these books.

Rearden
05-07-2005, 02:03 AM
The peak of Childrens fiction (in the fantasy sense) was LOTR... Harry Potter cant touch that (though I agree with some posts that Harry Potter can be somewhat enjoyable); its more a "Pop" fiction than LOTR, whereas in LOTR you have a guy create an intense level of languages and dynastic lines all leading into a coherent story

I was a nerd as a kid.. I still am as a college kid [I will being dressing up for Star Wars!!!!1111one!!!11!!!eleven!!!]

YourFoxyGrandma
05-07-2005, 02:06 AM
Alright, man; calm down...

thirddan
05-07-2005, 02:54 AM
have you read any of them?

jasonHoldEm
05-07-2005, 02:58 AM
I'm "reading" (audiobook) one right now. Quiditch World Cup, one of my favorite parts....

J

Dynasty
05-07-2005, 04:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The peak of Childrens fiction (in the fantasy sense) was LOTR...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even think it's fair to call the 3rd-5th Harry Potter books children's books. Calling Lord of the Rings a kid's book is absurd. (The Hobbit was a kid's book, though)

SinCityGuy
05-07-2005, 06:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This succinctly sums up a large portion of the junior high school diatribe on 2+2.

JMP300z
05-07-2005, 07:45 AM
Yes of course, but harry potter is still gay.

The really tragic thing about this is that it makes me and the OP the only straight ones left in the world.

-JP

LSUfan1
05-07-2005, 07:45 AM
I am one of the older gents in this group, but I have read all of the books, and I didn't start until I was in my late 20's. My kids love the books, and so do I. They are very easy reads, and they are quite entertaining.

If you haven't read the books, don't hate on em! Speak from experience, not ignorance! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

mackthefork
05-07-2005, 09:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wow..that was so deep. actually there are plenty of popular things i like. then there are popular things that are stupid...like these books.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a million monkeys sat typing at a million typewriters, eventually they would write the next Harry Potter book, probably first time in my opinion.

If you think about it though Rowling is a genius, she has made hundreds of millions by writing the worst books ever to sell over 100 copies, who else can make that claim. Banal is the best description i can think of for this tosh, but if people want to read them so be it, no one ever suggested banning Jeffery Archer (did they?). /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mack

spamuell
05-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Saying you don't enjoy Harry Potter is one thing.

[ QUOTE ]
If you think about it though Rowling is a genius, she has made hundreds of millions by writing the worst books ever to sell over 100 copies, who else can make that claim.

[/ QUOTE ]

Saying this is just trying too hard.

AEKDBet
05-07-2005, 10:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm "reading" (audiobook) one right now. Quiditch World Cup, one of my favorite parts....

J

[/ QUOTE ]
On my birthday I got hammered and woke up with a cracked rib. I ended up with a huge bottle of vicodin.

Vicodin + Harry Potter audio books itsAniiiice!
The guy who does all the reading (Jim Dale I think) is pretty amazing with all the voices he does

masse75
05-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Chronicles of Narnia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Harry Potter series.

jakethebake
05-07-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Nor have i read any of the Eloise or Junie B. Jones books that I've heard are popular with the kids. I have also not poked myself in the ear with an icepick.

Catch of the Day
05-07-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Nor have i read any of the Eloise or Junie B. Jones books that I've heard are popular with the kids. I have also not poked myself in the ear with an icepick.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really too bad...

about the icepick I mean.

and people are retarded in this thread. If you like the books, as did I, then sweet, only like 2 months until the next one comes out. If you didn't, then don't read them. Me liking the books, or you not liking them says very little about anything regarding value. It's personal oppinion anyway. I also think that its very stupid to say anything about HP if you haven't even read them. It's just 'cool' to be anti anything popular these days.

Catch-
Catch-

Nottom
05-07-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a much better analogy that the LoTR one earlier. I personally enjoy the HP books, but never really got into the Narnia series.

B Dids
05-07-2005, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The peak of Childrens fiction (in the fantasy sense) was LOTR... Harry Potter cant touch that (though I agree with some posts that Harry Potter can be somewhat enjoyable); its more a "Pop" fiction than LOTR, whereas in LOTR you have a guy create an intense level of languages and dynastic lines all leading into a coherent story

I was a nerd as a kid.. I still am as a college kid [I will being dressing up for Star Wars!!!!1111one!!!11!!!eleven!!!]

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously have never read (or if you read you didn't understand) LOTR. To call these children's books is really missing the point.

Dynasty
05-07-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Agree?
Users may choose only one (102 total votes)

Yes 32 31%

No 70 68%

[/ QUOTE ]

istewart http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/jaa.gif

masse75
05-07-2005, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a much better analogy that the LoTR one earlier. I personally enjoy the HP books, but never really got into the Narnia series.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never got into the Chronicles? Why, you atheist bastard /images/graemlins/smile.gif
(I'm being facetious).

tbach24
05-07-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The first CoN book was the only good one, and it can't even come close to any of the HP books. Really, that's just stupid to say.

SpearsBritney
05-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I can't see how a grown man could like that stuff, but there's obviously something I'm missing (imagination maybe?)because plenty do.

masse75
05-07-2005, 09:59 PM
Um, no...it's not. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

daryn
05-08-2005, 01:01 AM
i like the movies

mackthefork
05-09-2005, 04:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Saying this is just trying too hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh, thats a sything cut down, just remember Jeffery Archer is very popular as well. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mack