PDA

View Full Version : 93 yr old man pwns 13 yr old girl......

wacki
05-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Morse code vs. Text Messaging

http://engadget.com/entry/1234000463042528/

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, the world title for fastest text messaging is still raging in the streets. The victor in the most recent contest was a bit of a dark horse — 93-year-old telegraph operator Gordon Hill delivered a resounding ass-whoopin’ to his rival, 13-year-old Brittany Devlin, using Morse Code. Of course, Mr. Hill does have nigh on 80 years of practice under his belt, which was enough to help him triumph even despite Brittany’s liberal use of texting slang (Mr. Hill transmitted the chosen phrase verbatim).

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny.

tolbiny
05-06-2005, 09:28 PM
that's awesome.

Freaking awesome.

Blarg
05-07-2005, 03:14 AM
Cool. Especially impressive is that one of the words is girlfriend, which is just abbreviated to gf. The old guy must have been much faster than the little girl.

jar
05-07-2005, 01:22 PM
The speed possible depends on what the guy was allowed to use. If he had to use an old fashioned straight (hand) key, 25 wpm is probably the maximum possible. With a 2 lever paddle and an electronic keyer, probably 40-50 wpm is possible. Some people do use even higher speeds on the air, but they are generated by a keyboard. Keyboard sent, ear received speeds up to about 60 wpm aren't terribly uncommon.

When I was in practice, I could copy up to about 20 wpm on a good day. Once I get my ham radio gear set up in my new apartment, I plan to get back up to speed.

Jeff N3SX