PDA

View Full Version : Nash MVP

ThaSaltCracka
05-06-2005, 08:31 PM
well, sometimes the voters screw up. (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3597010?GT1=6534)

pshreck
05-06-2005, 08:33 PM
I thought he earned it. Clearly not the most talented player in the league, but he is the definition of being valuable to his team.

SackUp
05-06-2005, 08:33 PM
Damn I was just going to post this.

Nasty was legit this yaer, but I still have to go with Shaq. I would even consider D Wade over Nash. I just love to watch that kid play.

ThaSaltCracka
05-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Shaq
AI
Nash

my top 3 in that order

razor
05-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Nash grew up in my hometown... so I'm fine with this. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dead
05-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Nash deserved it over Shaq.

I would have voted for Iverson though.

ThaSaltCracka
05-06-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nash deserved it over Shaq.

[/ QUOTE ]no, no he doesn't.

pshreck
05-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Who wins more games, Suns without Nash, or Heat without Shaq?

I think this is easily Heat, but Id like to see arguments.

Either way, I dont see how you dont think its at least really close.

Dead
05-06-2005, 08:44 PM
The Heat can win without Shaq.

Can the Suns win without Nash? No.

Can the Sixers win without Iverson? Hell no.

Shaq is a shell of his former Orlando/LA self.

Phoenix1010
05-06-2005, 09:05 PM
I had a long post about this in another thread that I don't care to retype. Basically, it's not a measure of absolute value so much as it is a measure who helped their team the most. Shaq was hurt by the fact that his team was still very strong without him, whereas the Suns have proven to be nothing without Nash. Shaq was probably also hurt by his fairly mediocre numbers, in comparison to past years when he also did not win the MVP. Finally, there was probably some sentimentality that went into the voting (A white Canadian guard winning MVP in this day and age is downright amazing, and voters might have been swayed by the opportunity to make that happen). By any standards, I don't think Nash is worthy of the award. My order probably goes like TSC's does.

DontRaisePlz
05-06-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Heat can win without Shaq.

Can the Suns win without Nash? No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you getting this? Out of your ass? Check out the Mavs and the Lakers. Check out the rosters. After Stoudemire and Wade, you have the Suns with Johnson/Marion/Q-Rich and the Heat with Haslem/Jones/I cant even name the 3rd guy.

[ QUOTE ]
Shaq is a shell of his former Orlando/LA self.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the fact that Nash was never even in Shaq's universe at any point in their careers, I don't see how this matters. Nash can't play D.

istewart
05-06-2005, 09:09 PM
It was Nash for awhile in my book, a few months back. If you really get down to it, it has to be Shaq, like it is every season.

But this season I would've liked Iverson to win.

ThaSaltCracka
05-06-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Where are you getting this? Out of your ass? Check out the Mavs and the Lakers. Check out the rosters. After Stoudemire and Wade, you have the Suns with Johnson/Marion/Q-Rich and the Heat with Haslem/Jones/I cant even name the 3rd guy.

[/ QUOTE ] word.

holeplug
05-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Shaq should win the MVP every year but he never plays enough regular season games to get the votes for the award. Plus the Lakers really stunk this year and the Heat went from pretty good to a top 3 team just by adding Shaq. The Suns are just loaded with talent this year too and I still think a number of PGs could win at least 55 games with those players.

groo
05-06-2005, 09:56 PM
The Suns might be loaded with talent this year, but no one picked them higher than 3rd in their division pre-season. Shaq is definately a better player than Nash, heck Nash isn't even the best player on his team (I think that is Stoudemire). Nash has simply given meaning to the word "team" like no one else has this year. The Suns are an incredibly cohesive team, and it mostly comes down Nash's leadership. Oh, don't forget his ability to take over the game when need be.

Arguements can certainly be made for AI and Shaq, but I don't see how anyone could say the vote was wrong when any of the three are named MVP.

It's incredibly close. Do you see why?

wjmooner
05-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Good thing they got it right this time.

WJ

wjmooner
05-06-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where are you getting this? Out of your ass?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's getting it out of the regular season games where Phoenix was 0-4 without Nash and 0-2 in games where he barely played. Winless. Heat of course won several games without Shaq.

Nash was the Most Valuable Player.

WJ

istewart
05-06-2005, 11:35 PM
The Suns' backup point guard was injured during that time as well.

antidan444
05-07-2005, 12:58 AM
As a member of the working sports media (although not a prominent member, just some small-town hick who covers mostly high school sports), I can tell you with absolute certainty that, most of the time, we are absolutely, positively full of crap. Hell, put 10 sportswriters in a room and give them a week, and they still won't be able to come up with an agreement on what best determines who should be an MVP.

I really wish that ALL MEMBERS of the media be frozen out of these kinds of awards, and instead the leagues give a ballot to each coach and player and have them decide these things. It'd be one thousand times more legitimate that way, and it'd mean more to the players (and coaches) who win these awards.

That being said, as far as what I think about the MVP debate, Bill Simmons (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/cowbell/blog) summed it up pretty well. (Scroll down until you get to the piece he wrote about Nash.)

Popinjay
05-07-2005, 01:00 AM
I have a hard time with Nash as MVP being that he is horrible on defense but considering that the Suns don't really play much D and still win a lot I guess it's okay

The Yugoslavian
05-07-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Shaq
AI
Nash

my top 3 in that order

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Nash probably doesn't even make my top 5....he's way too much of a defensive liability. The Suns best and most valuable player is Amare - I really can't believe how no one seems to realize/admit this...otherwise the Suns are basically the Kidd Suns more or less (run and gun with no interior and no half court set).

Look, it's that interior presence from Amare that is the difference between Nash-Suns and Nash-Mavericks.

There is no way Nash deserves/earned/demonstrated that he is this years MVP.

Sorry Nash fans...it's not really that close.

FWIW, my top 5:
Shaq
AI
Lebron
Nowitzki
Amare

Yugoslav

morello
05-07-2005, 01:33 AM
I'm Canadian so of course I'm a big fan of Nash and all, but he is not the MVP. Sorry Steve.

I think this was probably Shaq's last chance at winning an MVP. Unfortunate that he's only got 1 MVP when he could easily have had a couple more.

ThaSaltCracka
05-07-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I really wish that ALL MEMBERS of the media be frozen out of these kinds of awards, and instead the leagues give a ballot to each coach and player and have them decide these things.

[/ QUOTE ] I agree 100%. Also, the all-star voting should be 50% fan voting and 50% player voting.