PDA

View Full Version : Pool question

PoBoy321
05-06-2005, 05:32 PM
I don't know how many of you play pool, but for those of you who do, I've got a question. How do you pull a curve-shot? A buddy of mine in high school was a huge pool shark and could pull it off, but I haven't talked to him in like 2 years and I'm starting to get back into pool and I just can't remember how to pull it off.

So how do you curve the cueball around another ball?

JTG51
05-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Hit the top left or right side of the ball (somewhere around 10 or 2 o'clock) with a downward stroke (somewhere around 45 degrees). The harder you hit it, the less it will curve.

purnell
05-06-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hit on the top left or right side of the ball (somewhere around 10 or 2 o'clock) with a downward stroke (somewhere around 45 degrees). The harder you hit it, the less it will curve.

[/ QUOTE ]

be careful of the felt!

TripleH68
05-06-2005, 05:40 PM
You need excellent touch to execute this shot. Try striking down on the cue ball, slightly above center with one tip of english. You need to have a loose grip on the cue and stroke the ball smoothly, but with acceleration, so the spin will take on the ball. Good luck.

JTG51
05-06-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
be careful of the felt!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're just trying to move the cueball a little bit, like the width of a ball, your cue tip shouldn't come anywhere close to the felt. I'm not describing trick shot masses where you need ot hit straight down on the ball.

asofel
05-06-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hit the top left or right side of the ball (somewhere around 10 or 2 o'clock) with a downward stroke (somewhere around 45 degrees). The harder you hit it, the less it will curve.

[/ QUOTE ]

this isn't exactly true. I can masse around 8 balls or so. I have to hit it damn hard to get that spin. If you hit the ball hard it will have less time to curve, so yes, if you hit it softly with a great angle, you can get good spin.

OP: best way to learn is come to continental in rosslyn tonight, and I'll teach you. you 21 yet?

PoBoy321
05-06-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OP: best way to learn is come to continental in rosslyn tonight, and I'll teach you. you 21 yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

19, turn 20 in 3 weeks. Anyway, I've got a 9am Russian final tomorrow (yeah, Saturday [censored] morning), so I'm not going anywhere but the library tonight.

BadBoyBenny
05-06-2005, 05:46 PM
web page (http://www.billiardworld.com/masse.html)

JTG51
05-06-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this isn't exactly true. I can masse around 8 balls or so. I have to hit it damn hard to get that spin. If you hit the ball hard it will have less time to curve, so yes, if you hit it softly with a great angle, you can get good spin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. I'm just talking about curving the ball a couple of inches to hit a partially obstructed ball, which is really all you need to be able to do unless you're entering trick shot contests.

asofel
05-06-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, gotcha. most people jack up too high and hit too hard. a little angle and a smart hit are enough in most situations.

Right. I'm just talking about curving the ball a couple of inches to hit a partially obstructed ball, which is really all you need to be able to do unless you're entering trick shot contests.

[/ QUOTE ]

HDPM
05-06-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

be careful of the felt!

[/ QUOTE ]

Call cloth felt on one of the pool forums and 25 people go nuts yelling at you. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GoblinMason (Craig)
05-06-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
with one tip of english.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.planetstacked.com/fillmaff/chapter3.jpg

GOD DAMN ENGLISH!! PARDON! QUEEN MOTHER! PIP PIP CHERRIO! WRINKLE! LIMEY! AHHHHH!

Phat Mack
05-06-2005, 07:42 PM
Elevate the butt of your cue. The more you elevate, the more the cue ball will curve.

Ray Zee
05-07-2005, 08:49 AM
play what is called shoot put so you dont ever do that. it would bring pool back into the game again. ball in hand has ruined the game.

purnell
05-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Interesting... I had no idea people took it that seriously.

gorie
05-07-2005, 10:13 AM
i wanna go swimming.