PDA

View Full Version : Big pot - $.50/$1 Stud High

BBB
05-06-2005, 03:09 PM
Was having a down session (was playing a little too loose-aggressively) when this hand came up. Anybody play it different? Too aggressive early on, or on 6th?

Prima Poker, $.50/$1 7-card stud high, $.05 ante

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___brings-in___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls___calls
Hero: 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/club.gif___completes___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 6/images/graemlins/club.gif___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls___calls

Pot: $7.40

<font color="red">I figured my mostly live diamond draw had enough equity to raise on the end and try to tie people to the pot.</font>

4th Street

Seat 1: xx xx 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls___calls
Hero: 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif___bets___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls___calls

<font color="red">I didn't think I was ahead, but I figured I had enough equity to pump the pot some more - Seat 6 was a solid player, when he didn't reraise I figured he had a big buried pair (that wasn't kings).</font>

Pot: $14.40

5th Street

Seat 1: xx xx 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls(all-in)
Hero: 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls

Pot: $21.35

<font color="red">Plan seems to have backfired, I've tied myself to this pot.</font> /images/graemlins/blush.gif

6th Street

Seat 1: xx xx 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___all-in
Hero: 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif___checks___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif___bets___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif___raises(all-in)

Pot: $36.25

<font color="red">Not sure why I check-raised here - I guess since I was positive Seat 6 only had a high buried pair, nobody had a pair showing, and nobody was raising, I figured my two pair might be good at this point (and if not I had two outs to a boat).</font>

7th Street

Seat 1: xx xx 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif xx___calls___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif xx___raises___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif xx___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif xx___all-in
Hero: 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif___bets___raises___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif xx___calls___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif xx___all-in

Final Pot: $46.25

<font color="red">Hit my two-outer and bet, when Seat 2 raised I was sure he had also hit a boat, but I figured chances were it was worse than mine.</font>

Results: Seat 2 had two pair on 4th and caught a 3 to fill up on the river. Seat 4 (a bad player) had started out with buried queens that never improved. Seat 8 had started with 64 of spades for a four-flush on 4th that never got there. My tens full is good for the 46+ BB pot!

mscags
05-06-2005, 03:35 PM
I don't like the check raise on 6th, but besides that I think that you played it fine. Congrats on taking it down.

Andy B
05-07-2005, 03:06 AM
With that many limpers and two over-cards to the board, I would probably have raised third street on the first pass. Since you limped, I really think you can only call the double-bet back to you. I presume that this was not your first hand at the table. Seven people called a cap here. These are loose players. There is no need to tie them on. Two bets is plenty on third. Wait until you hit on fourth and then sock it to 'em.

I'm not sure what the raise on fourth is supposed to accomplish. Surely you don't think you're going to knock anyone out. You probably have more than 1/7 equity, but this could easily come down very badly on fifth.

I absolutely hate the raise on sixth. Tens-up is probably not the best hand right now. It is certainly not likely to be the best hand on the river. You have two outs to fill. An Ace might be good, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm glad this worked out for you and all, but you played this hand like a lunatic.

Gitz
05-07-2005, 06:01 AM
Hero: 5 T J___calls___raises
Hero: 5 T J T A 5 T___bets___raises___calls

Starting with a 3 Flush J High and staying in till the end to catch a Full House. Post the next time this happens to you and we'll talk!!!!

Paul

Nice Win /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Andy B
05-07-2005, 12:59 PM
What, you've never done this? In one of my favorite hands I've ever played, I started with <font color="red">A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif</font> and made four Queens. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BBB
05-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Thanks for responding Andy, I was curious to hear your thoughts.

Obviously these weren't the world's tightest players (4 or 5 people seeing 3rd was common), alhtough this was easily the most loosely played hand overall that we played. I see your argument about completing on 3rd with the two overs, but do you think that's a good play in a loose game like this? I'm not going to knock any of the limpers out, and even though they're overs, it's only a J and a T - it just seemed like it would help my overall equity more if I limped and encouraged others join the party.

I see your point that reraising third was probably excessive.

Point taken on raising 4th too, since it'll be hard to know how to proceed with anything but a T on 5th. (Part of the reason I raised was actually to see Seat 6's response (he and seat 2 were my only reasonably solid opponents). Had he reraised, I would've figured him for trips or two-pair, and I would've been looking for a place to bail out, but when he just called, I figured he only had either one big pair or maybe a three-flush.)

I'm not going to defend the 6th street, I agree it was a bad play, since even if tens up is the best hand on 6th, it's unlikely to hold up on seventh. But I do think there was a lot of evidence suggesting that tens up was good at the moment. If you look closely at the other players boards, not only are there no pairs showing, but there's tons of duplication. Seat 2 might have me beat, but if so I'm surprised he didn't raise when he caught the Q (I know him to be an aggressive player). The other two kings besides seat 6's are already all-in. And seat 1 and seat 3 both have mostly dead boards.

(I didn't check initially with the intention of raising; but when nobody raised (except the guy throwing his last few pennies in), that's when I decided my tens up might actually be good.)

Andy B
05-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Over-cards or no, your three-flush is worth raising on flush value alone with so many players already in, so whether your completing ties people on or drives them out, it's fine. By capping, though, you've created a situation where you might have to call on fifth with a hand you don't like that much.

When there are still six or seven people in on sixth, it's really hard to imagine that Tens-up is the best hand around the table. People aren't necessarily going to be raising with Queens-up or trips at this point.