PDA

View Full Version : QQ on KK board, just call down?

MrEngenic
05-06-2005, 12:54 PM
I had played at the table for some time and had a pretty tight image. I didn't usually have to go to showdown if I raised and A or K came since they assumed I had a high pocket or either of those. I won many pots by raising with AQ, AJ and just bet the flop and turn if a K came.
Given this, is it ok to just call down? If he doesn't have a K he will be skittish and fold to aggression and if he has the K he will punish me. Should I fold the turn when the flush gets there and he still bets?

Crypto 1/2

dealt to MrEngenic [Qs Qd]
sr20det: calls $1
cage74: folds
awad200: folds
MrEngenic: raises $2
lowey: folds
andy97: folds
dKlump: folds
Makdiva: folds
Illin88: folds
sr20det: calls $1
----- FLOP ----- [Ts Ks Kh]
sr20det: bets $1
MrEngenic: calls $1
----- TURN ----- [Ts Ks Kh][5s]
sr20det: bets $2
MrEngenic: calls $2
----- RIVER ----- [Ts Ks Kh 5s][2d]
sr20det: bets $2
MrEngenic: calls $2

xenthebrain
05-06-2005, 01:00 PM
It's a WA/WB situation here. Calling down is fine IMO.

Use the handconverter.

MrEngenic
05-06-2005, 01:01 PM
But how? I can't get it to work with crypto hand histories, is there a separate one for crypto?

McGahee
05-06-2005, 01:18 PM
Pick a street and raise.
Folding HU on a flush card? /images/graemlins/blush.gif

numeri
05-06-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But how? I can't get it to work with crypto hand histories, is there a separate one for crypto?

[/ QUOTE ]
You may have to manually enter it. You'll get more replies. Also, there's kind of an unwritten rule to not use the actual usernames of the players we're playing against. If nothing else, put their position instead.

MrWookie47
05-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Here's another situation where I think WA/WB is being misused. It's not a WA/WB situation if WA is much more likely than WB. You should have raised the turn or river here. By just calling this hand down, I think you need to shave your legs, and I'll buy you a new mini skirt.

@bsolute_luck
05-06-2005, 02:35 PM
i had a similar hand...sorta last night that i have the same question, so if you don't mind, i'll tack this on to your thread and see
#1 what differences there may be
#2 what similarities there are.

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13.40 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: (8.20 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

River: (11.20 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 11.20 BB

kenberman
05-06-2005, 02:50 PM
the difference here is that you probably have the best hand, but raising may drive out the CO behind you. still, I'm raising the flop.

I think checking the river is pretty bad.

MrWookie47
05-06-2005, 02:51 PM
I think at least two kittens were killed for not betting the river there.

K C
05-06-2005, 03:00 PM
I'd put a raise here on the river. He didn't attempt to check raise you once, and he's probably sitting with a smaller pair. The chances of him having you beat aren't all that significant, and if so, you're losing the hand anyway. So it's the extra bet we're concerned about here, which would be what you're risking with the raise. He's pot committed enough that you have a good chance of getting the raise called with a weaker hand, so it would be worth doing here.

KC
kingcobrapoker.com

@bsolute_luck
05-06-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think at least two kittens were killed for not betting the river there.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that is a difference between the 2 hands.

my reason for not betting was CO calling down. my read on him was sooo passive, i had no idea what he was calling down with with all that betting.

MrEngenic
05-06-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's another situation where I think WA/WB is being misused. It's not a WA/WB situation if WA is much more likely than WB. You should have raised the turn or river here. By just calling this hand down, I think you need to shave your legs, and I'll buy you a new mini skirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I wasn't clear enough on table conditions. This was crypto 1/2 which is VERY different from 0.5/1 party. What will a raise on the flop accomplish? He will fold his bluff, or maybe to a bet on the turn if he has a T. He will checkraise the turn with a king and I will have to fold not knowing if he was bluffing.
A turn raise will fold any non king hand and a king will either reraise, call down if he's afraid of his kicker or check raise the river. Isn't it better to spend those bets calling down since he only has 2 outs if he's behind?

Not raising can be discussed, that's why I posted, but you are out of line saying "I think you need to shave your legs, and I'll buy you a new mini skirt".

MrWookie47
05-06-2005, 07:04 PM
I didn't want to come across as mean (I guess the humor of my last comment didn't communicate), but I think you've got to find a raise here somewhere. Note that I did NOT adovcate raising the flop. The turn or river would be fine. A ten would be more likely to call a river raise, so maybe that's better. I think you overestimate the chance that you're behind here.

aK13
05-06-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had played at the table for some time and had a pretty tight image. I didn't usually have to go to showdown if I raised and A or K came since they assumed I had a high pocket or either of those. I won many pots by raising with AQ, AJ and just bet the flop and turn if a K came.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is typically assumed at a crypto table =P.

I'd raise the flop, and if 3bet, I call down. I'm pretty sure you're ahead more often than you're behind here.

In the AA hand that whoever posted, you have to raise somewhere. I'd probably raise the flop, just because thats what I do in situations like these.

MrEngenic
05-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I was also sure I'm usually ahead. But you have to consider, if I am ahead and raise, will he call down? A better hand will reraise, a worse might fold...

Malachii
05-06-2005, 07:44 PM
I dunno dude, this is a nothing pot. I think I'd raise the flop and then fold if 3 bet. Caling down would be okay if you stood to win more, but your effective odds can't be very good here.

TomBrooks
05-06-2005, 08:35 PM
I might try a flop raise, and if three bet, cap it. Then if Villain bets out on turn, dump the hand. If villain checks, check it through. He might have a King, but think I have KT for a boat, so my idea now is to get to the showdown as cheaply as possible.

If after raising the flop, villian calls and checks turn, then I bet. Villian will probably call down with a ten.