PDA

View Full Version : How do you calculate variance.

EjnarPik
05-06-2005, 11:39 AM
I guess you don't actually calculate it (I may have to guess again), but what would it's mathematical expression be?

One further question:

Which game has the highest variance, PLO or NLHE.

Ejnar Pik, Southern-Docks.

theben
05-06-2005, 11:44 AM
here is a link on variance

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Variance.html

and to answer your Q, PLO is a higher variance game

EjnarPik
05-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Thx for your reply.

Anyone a little simpler?

shadow29
05-06-2005, 12:19 PM
If you look up your std dev on PT, and square it, that's variance.

EjnarPik
05-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Thx Audi, sounds like something I could understand.

I don't have PT, could you elaborate? (Pretty Please)

johnc
05-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Pardon me for jumping in on your Q, Poker Tracker software is available for a free trial thru their site pokertracker.com. The 2+2 posts steered me in the right direction when I got it - an absolute must to accurately track and analyze your internet play.

EjnarPik
05-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Sorry for bumping this thread, which most probably find uninteresting. I will jump to the conclusion, I was hoping to jump to after a longer debate. As I am not 100% certain what deviation is (I assume variance describes how big the "swings" are), I may look a little silly, but here goes:

Let us take a player, P, who is equally skilled in all kinds of poker. This person has a limited bankroll of $X.

Wanting to make some money, this person sets himself the goal of making, for instance, $40 each hour. With his limited bankroll, he wants to have as low variance as possible.

Now assume he can make that amount playing PLO $50 buy-in, or by playing NLHE $200 buy-in. Further assume that PLO has three times the variance of NLHE, when played at the same level, would it not be fair to say that PLO has lower variance than NLHE?

masonx
05-07-2005, 02:34 PM
You would be playing in your bankroll at $50PLO, thats it.

SheridanCat
05-09-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for bumping this thread, which most probably find uninteresting. I will jump to the conclusion, I was hoping to jump to after a longer debate. As I am not 100% certain what deviation is

[/ QUOTE ]

See this discussion of standard deviation (http://www.pokergeek.com/faq/beginners_faq.html#2)

Regards,

T