PDA

View Full Version : greatest player ever in the NBA?

bwana devil
05-06-2005, 10:31 AM
I got into this debate w/ my friend a while ago and then someone in OOT threw out an NBA player’s name as the greatest ever to play as if it were fact a few days ago. Are there any serious basketball fans in the house w/ an opinion? (I am a casual observer of the game but am opinionated nonetheless /images/graemlins/smirk.gif).

MoreWineII
05-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Depends on what you mean by greatest. I voted Jordan, btw.

Won scoring titles, won championships, was a leader - took the big shots, generated excitement every time he played, increased the popularity of the league, seemed like a decent guy off the court, on and on and on..

swede123
05-06-2005, 11:23 AM
MJ. There is no arguing this one, fellas.

Swede

Rick Diesel
05-06-2005, 11:25 AM
The only choices that should be on this poll are MJ, Wilt, and Oscar Robertson. Having Kareem on your poll clearly makes it a joke.

davelin
05-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Not even close.

BreakfastBurrito
05-06-2005, 11:28 AM
I'd have to go with Antoine Carr. I swear to god I never saw him miss a shot, must have been like 38 for 38 while I was watching in his career.

tdarko
05-06-2005, 11:33 AM
jerome kersey

since he wasn't on the list i was FORCED to go with MJ.

M2d
05-06-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd have to go with Antoine Carr. I swear to god I never saw him miss a shot, must have been like 38 for 38 while I was watching in his career.

[/ QUOTE ]
that's like me and John Kruk. granted, he was a pretty good hitter, but, with me watching (on TV) I think he hit arouind .600 and slugged around 1.000. I swear he went 2-4 or 3-4 with two doubles every time I saw his games.

M2d
05-06-2005, 11:37 AM
I'm a huge Magic fan and Wilt obviously has to be considered, but it's Michael.

swede123
05-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Hehe Darko. I really liked those Blazer teams that Kersey were part of. They were pretty stacked with Clyde, Jerome, Terry Porter, Buck Williams and Cliff Robinson. Too bad Duckworth was such a headcase back then, or they'd have a couple of more championships.

Swede

bwana devil
05-06-2005, 11:38 AM
my vote is Wilt over Jordan. when their stats are compared side by side they are close but wilt just pulls ahead. wilt holds 50 records in the NBA (the most by a player)!!

one startling record: Wilt holds the record for the most games with 50+ points at 118 games in his career. (Michael Jordan is 2nd with 29 games.)

edit: wilt accomplished his records before the 3 point shot was introduced among other handicaps

swede123
05-06-2005, 11:48 AM
You make a good argument, and it's pretty tough to vote against a guy who scored 100 points in a game. Seriously now, he himself scored more than many teams do. However, I think Wilt's success was more due to his incredible size/strength advantage. The league at the time simply couldn't counter him so it was like a grown man playing against children.

When MJ played the league was very competitive, the most competitive it's ever been in my opinion. Jordan overcame this and still kicked ass, in spite of being 6'6" and 220 lbs. And no one was better at making the shot when he had to than Michael. These are a few reasons why MJ is the right choice.

Swede

augie00
05-06-2005, 11:52 AM
This is even worse than the Beatles vs. LZ thread. By a lot.

edit: and the answer is quami brown

SomethingClever
05-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Modern era, Jordan, no question.

But I'm surprised Oscar Robertson isn't on the list.

Dude averaged a triple double for an entire season.

He was like 28/12/12 or some crazy [censored] like that.

If you're talking best all-around game, you can't ignore that.

bwana devil
05-06-2005, 12:02 PM
perhaps you should spend more time in your masturbation chair.

wjmooner
05-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Jordan by a mile. Kareem should probably be replaced by Oscar Robertson and/or Bill Russell.

Giving up 100 points to a center is an awful defensive job. Wilt ruled, but back then double teaming was seen as a bad idea. Fouling Wilt 50 times a game would've also worked. Against defensive minded coaches of today he would've put up numbers similar to Shaq in his prime.

WJ

bwana devil
05-06-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually had robertson on the list originally but i knew overwhelmingly people would pick jordan because theyve seen him play and not favor more contemporary players.

SackUp
05-06-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually had robertson on the list originally but i knew overwhelmingly people would pick jordan because theyve seen him play and not favor more contemporary players.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post makes no sense at all. If you were keeping people off the poll b/c you thought everyone would pick Jordan then why even have other options?? Oscar Robinson should have been clearly been on the list. Hence you too are a Polltard!

Also how is Shaq not on the list? His presence on both ends of the court is unmatched by anyone on this list. I still take Jordan, but he still deserves a mention.

J.R.
05-06-2005, 12:33 PM
http://unlimited.nba.free.fr/kwame.jpg

Boris
05-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Where's the box for Kurt Rambis?

fnord_too
05-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Wilt slept with ~20K women, who can argue that he wasn't the greatest player ever?

augie00
05-06-2005, 12:40 PM
YEAH BOY! YEAH BOY! PICK UP THE PHONE!

tbach24
05-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Jordan. Not very close IMO. I agree with the others that Robertson should've been on this list, and find it absurd that he doesn't get the attention that Magic, Bird, Jabbar and the other legends get. I hadn't heard of him until I was like 12.

bisonbison
05-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Larry Bird? Jesus H. Christ.

swede123
05-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Now if the question was greatest honky player in the NBA Bird looks like a strong contender.

Swede

bisonbison
05-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I'm just saying that having Larry Bird on the short list is like putting Joe D. on the short list of best baseball players ever.

You can know he's an inner circle HOFer and still realize that he ain't near the best ever.

NotMitch
05-06-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he is the Basketball Jesus

CCass
05-06-2005, 01:11 PM
I voted for MJ, but could make an argument for Wilt. There is no need to list other players. IMO, no good argument can be made (ok, Maybe the Big O) for any other player compared to these two.

morello
05-06-2005, 01:20 PM
No option for Lebron? You will regret this poll in about 8 years.

RunDownHouse
05-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Lebron, easy.

augie00
05-06-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You will regret this poll in about 8 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, potd

jba
05-06-2005, 01:32 PM
John Stockton.

sorry I'm a homer

The Dude
05-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Clearly it was Sam Bowie, then Clyde Drexler, then Michael Jordan.

Dead
05-06-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's easily top 5 all time.

He was a better 3 pt shooter than Jordan, a better FT shooter, and while Jordan did average more PPG over his career, about 2/3 of those PPG can be attributed to getting to the free throw line more per game.

That said, I voted Jordan.

Bird is ahead of Magic, imo. And I hate the Celtics. But Bird's greatness cannot be denied.

If there are 3 seconds left on the shot clock, game 7 of the NBA finals, with the opposition leading by 2, there's no one I want more than Larry Bird to take that shot.

And having Bird on the short list is not like having DiMaggio on the short list. DiMaggio was top 30 all time. Bird is top 5 all time. Bird was much better at basketball than DiMaggio was at baseball.

Top 5 players of all time, imo:

Jordan
Chamberlain
Robertson
Bird
Kareem

WEASEL45
05-06-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If there are 3 seconds left on the shot clock, game 7 of the NBA finals, with the opposition leading by 2, there's no one I want more than Larry Bird to take that shot.

[/ QUOTE ]
What about Robert Horry

bosoxfan
05-06-2005, 01:45 PM
11 rings and he didn't make the list? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Dead
05-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Yeah I'm loving his lifetime FG% of 43%.

SomethingClever
05-06-2005, 01:47 PM
To throw things into perspective, here are Oscar Robertson's ROOKIE stats. He led the league in assists that year.

Assists: 9.7
Rebounds: 10.1

He followed that up with these sophomore stats.

Assists: 11.4
Rebounds: 12.5

That might be the greatest season ever, seriously. Think about if a player was throwing up numbers like that these days.

Also, keep in mind that there was no 3-point shot.

For comparison, Jordan and LeBron's first two year stats.

Jordan Rookie Season

Assists: 5.9
Rebounds: 6.5

Jordan Third Season (I'll ignore his sophomore season, actually, since he was injured)

Assists: 4.6
Rebounds: 5.2

LeBron Rookie Season

Rebounds: 5.5

LeBron Sophomore Season

Assists: 7.2
Rebounds: 7.4

Aytumious
05-06-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To throw things into perspective, here are Oscar Robertson's ROOKIE stats. He led the league in assists that year.

Assists: 9.7
Rebounds: 10.1

He followed that up with these sophomore stats.

Assists: 11.4
Rebounds: 12.5

That might be the greatest season ever, seriously. Think about if a player was throwing up numbers like that these days.

Also, keep in mind that there was no 3-point shot.

For comparison, Jordan and LeBron's first two year stats.

Jordan Rookie Season

Rebounds: 6.5

Jordan Third Season (I'll ignore his sophomore season, actually, since he was injured)

Assists: 4.6
Rebounds: 5.2

LeBron Rookie Season

Rebounds: 5.5

LeBron Sophomore Season

Assists: 7.2
Rebounds: 7.4

[/ QUOTE ]

Different era, but the Big O's numbers are extremely impressive. That being said, Jordan's unbelievable dominance in clutch situations as well as his huge psychological edge over the opposition -- combined, of course with his stellar numbers, particularly his FG% -- make him the clear favorite in this competion. If you were up 90-89 and the Bulls had the last posession, you probably felt like you had already lost.

lil_o
05-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Uhm... where is Bill Russell?????

bisonbison
05-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Yeah, Bird is ahead of Magic, but there's still a big gap - a biiiig gap between the top three ever in basketball and #4 - whoever you put there.

He's eating dust.

Dead
05-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Ted Williams will never measure up to Babe Ruth. Ruth is better, and it's not even close.

But that doesn't diminish Ted's accomplishments at all.

Likewise, Bird's accomplishments are not diminished by the success of Jordan.

And it's also important to point out that Jordan played a different position than Bird for most of his career. While some will say that small forward and shooting guard are very similar positions, I would disagree with that. Bird was a small forward, and Jordan was a guard until he came back after retirement.

Bird averaged almost 4 more rebounds per game than Jordan. I just don't agree with the statement that Jordan was light years better than Bird. Was he better? Yeah. But not by a huge amount. Jordan was better than Bird like Clemens is better than Randy Johnson.

WEASEL45
05-06-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I'm loving his lifetime FG% of 43%.

[/ QUOTE ] You said last shot in a game 7. not who has a better lifetime fg%

ttleistdci
05-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Why are we even having this discussion? Anyone with half a brain knows it's Jordan.
And to the original poster...Magic Johnson and Kareem have no business on this list, especially when the likes of Oscar Robertson and Bill Rusell have been left off.

tbach24
05-06-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ted Williams will never measure up to Babe Ruth. Ruth is better, and it's not even close.

But that doesn't diminish Ted's accomplishments at all.

Likewise, Bird's accomplishments are not diminished by the success of Jordan.

And it's also important to point out that Jordan played a different position than Bird for most of his career. While some will say that small forward and shooting guard are very similar positions, I would disagree with that. Bird was a small forward, and Jordan was a guard until he came back after retirement.

Bird averaged almost 4 more rebounds per game than Jordan. I just don't agree with the statement that Jordan was light years better than Bird. Was he better? Yeah. But not by a huge amount. Jordan was better than Bird like Clemens is better than Randy Johnson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, Dead sounding rational and making a good point? Who would have thought it could happen?

goofball
05-06-2005, 02:59 PM
I was a diehard Blazers fan when Jordan was kicking our asses every year.

It's Jordan and it's not close

itsmesteve
05-06-2005, 03:05 PM
I'm really not sure he was better than Jordan (and I'm too young to have seen him play) but the Big O has to be on this list.

tdarko
05-06-2005, 03:06 PM
you forgot roy tarpley.

tdarko
05-06-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jordan was better than Bird like Clemens is better than Randy Johnson

[/ QUOTE ]
you obviously did well on this portion of the verbal when taking the SAT's.

Dead
05-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Is that sarcasm? I did do much better on the verbal than on the math, admittedly.

And analogies were the weakest part of my verbal.

bisonbison
05-06-2005, 03:15 PM
There are position issues, but there's an era problem too. Picking Elgin Baylor over Bird gives you 4 more PTs/game, +3 rebs/, -2 assists/.

Frankly, I picked dimaggio because he's an inner circle hall of famer but clearly not the best player ever, and I still feel that way about Bird, but baseball stats are a lot easier to evaluate independent of team dynamics and performance.

tdarko
05-06-2005, 03:17 PM
i know you catch a lot of flack here but you should know i haven't ever givin' you any [censored]. it WASN'T sarcasm.

instead of saying good post like everyone else i just wanted to tell you that the analogy is why i liked your post...so um good post. /images/graemlins/grin.gif don't be so gunshy dead.

Dead
05-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Ok Lawrence. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

istewart
05-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Jordan liked to gamble. This is a gambling forum. Jordan wins.

rlpsjstyle
05-06-2005, 04:18 PM
As others have said, a serious poll would have at least included Oscar Robertson as a choice.

Being from completely different eras, I'm not sure if I'd rather have Jordan or Robertson in their prime. I'd probably choose the Big O in a close one, if only because I think he could do whatever you needed him to on a night-in, night-out basis moreso than Jordan.

Oscar averaged 25.7 PPG, 9.5 APG and 7.5 RPG for his 14 year career. Consistency and longevity. I'd take that any day.

bugstud
05-06-2005, 04:53 PM
George Mikan might need to be on this list too, but I dunno. Jabbar was good but a lot of that is from his college dominance, his NBA career wasn't at as high of a peak as say Wilt.

I concur with Oscar needing to be on there btw.

LSUfan1
05-06-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
MJ. There is no arguing this one, fellas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know there have been many greats, but noone has changed the face of ANY game the way Jordon has! At least not here in the states.

LSUfan1
05-06-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my vote is Wilt over Jordan. when their stats are compared side by side they are close but wilt just pulls ahead. wilt holds 50 records in the NBA (the most by a player)!!

one startling record: Wilt holds the record for the most games with 50+ points at 118 games in his career. (Michael Jordan is 2nd with 29 games.)

edit: wilt accomplished his records before the 3 point shot was introduced among other handicaps

[/ QUOTE ]

You want a handicap. Level of play! The competition inside in Wilt's day was not nearly what Jordan had to deal with on a daily basis.

You think Wilt would have scored 80 on Shaq? Not likely!

Aytumious
05-06-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You want a handicap. Level of play! The competition inside in Wilt's day was not nearly what Jordan had to deal with on a daily basis.

You think Wilt would have scored 80 on Shaq? Not likely!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think, even with modern excercise and diet practices, that Wilt would have had the girth to deal with Shaq. He would have been great, but his game would have to have been much different with people taller than 6'7" guarding him.

ScottTheFish
05-06-2005, 05:26 PM
MJ and it's not very close.

One thing people always overlook in these discussions is that Jordan was one of the premiere DEFENDERS of his era, in addition to all the scoring titles, etc. That gives him a huge edge over guys like Magic and Bird, IMO.

I agree with Bison about Bird...top 5 but I'd much rather have Jordan on my team. Bird played on a team full of hall of famers, MJ not so much. He won rings with guys named Bill Wennington and Luc Longley playing Center.

I can see an argument for Wilt, since nobody dominated the game like him...but tough to compare eras.

bwana devil
05-06-2005, 05:32 PM
nba didnt also record blocks and steals back in wilt's day though. he most would cream jordan in stats on defense had they kept records

Aytumious
05-06-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nba didnt also record blocks and steals back in wilt's day though. he most would cream jordan in stats on defense had they kept records

[/ QUOTE ]

Stats really aren't the point here.

bwana devil
05-06-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good point. but wilt's level of play was different too. his play would have improved im sure given conditioning and training changes.

ill give you another handicap though too. jordan was taking chartered jets to games. not wilt. and wilt was dealing w/ a tighter schedule too.

Aytumious
05-06-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good point. but wilt's level of play was different too. his play would have improved im sure given conditioning and training changes.

ill give you another handicap though too. jordan was taking chartered jets to games. not wilt. and wilt was dealing w/ a tighter schedule too.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you think a modern Wilt would have fared against Garnett, Duncan, Shaq, and Ben Wallace? Given his frame, it's likely he would not even be as big as Duncan, and he certainly was not -- nor did he have the potential to be -- a complete freak like KG. He would have been an excellent player in the modern game, but nowhere close to what he was, and nowhere close to how great Jordan was, in the much more competitively balanced modern game.

davelin
05-06-2005, 05:54 PM
There's some questions to how Wilt would've done had he played during Michael's era. There are absolutely no questions had Michael played in his era.

Aytumious
05-06-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's some questions to how Wilt would've done had he played during Michael's era. There are absolutely no questions had Michael played in his era.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Remember "Sweet River Baines?" Nuff said...

Phoenix1010
05-06-2005, 06:30 PM
This thread deserves no replies, so I'm not going to read them. The NBA provides perhaps the easiest answer to this question in all of sports (aside from maybe hockey). Jordan, and it's not even near close.

bisonbison
05-06-2005, 06:41 PM
I know there have been many greats, but noone has changed the face of ANY game the way Jordon has! At least not here in the states.

Babe Ruth. By a lot.

Dead
05-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Norm Duke.

Norm Duke (March 25, 1964-) is an American professional bowler.

Born in Mount Pleasant, Texas, he moved in Dallas, after his father sold the bowling alley their family owned. He began bowling at age 7, and turned pro at age 18. That year, he became the youngest player in Professional Bowlers Association history to win a title, after winning the Cleveland Open in 1983.

He has bowled 36 perfect games in national competition, and has won 22 PBA titles, including the American Bowling Congress Masters and PBA National Championship. He has also bowled the highest-scoring losing game in televised PBA history, losing 296-280, against Bryan Goebel in 1994.

bisonbison
05-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Public importance of Pro Bowling before Norm Duke: miniscule
Public importance of Pro Bowling after Norm Duke: miniscule

istewart
05-06-2005, 06:51 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dead
05-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Bowling sure pays some shitty money. But it is hella fun.

Emmitt2222
05-06-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Walter Ray Williams, Jr.
over $3.4 million in career earnings, including a single-season record with $419,700 in winnings over the 2002-03 season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you can barely buy a mansion with that money...

Dead
05-06-2005, 07:05 PM
That's like one of the best bowlers ever.

I was under the impression that most of the lower ranked bowlers make MUCH less money.

pryor15
05-06-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill Russell...by a lot. MJ changed the public opinion of the game, but Russell changed the actual game.

jesusarenque
05-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Wilt. Voting for anyone else is pretty silly, really.

thatpfunk
05-06-2005, 07:51 PM
O

on_thg
05-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Ben Poquette, and it's not close.

LSUfan1
05-06-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Babe Ruth. By a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I would have to give you that, and there could probably be a case made for Gretzky too. The point is, MJ rules the top of the leaderboard in the NBA!

LSUfan1
05-06-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill Russell...by a lot. MJ changed the public opinion of the game, but Russell changed the actual game.

[/ QUOTE ]

While your post does have some merit, by saying that Russell's play did change the game, you cannot say that Jordan only changed the game in public opinion.

Did anyone really know what a fade away jumper was before Michael perfected this skill?

And his defensive game was a thing of beauty that should be studied by all future NBA hopefulls(as this was pointed out in a prior post).

andyfox
05-07-2005, 12:08 AM
Most people will vote for MJ today. We old-timers probably still favor MJ, but not by as wide a margin as he's winning this poll. Wilt was so dominating that, in college, several rules had to be changed to accommodate his game: the lane was widened, offensive goaltending was instituted, and you had to let go of a free throw while you were still behind the line. (Wilt could take a running jump and, taking off behind the line, dunk the ball!)

Oscar Robertson was just about as good a player as MJ. His lifetime stats are awesome. But i doubt many people who voted in your poll saw him play.

Some say Bill Russell was the greatest. He was a great player, but he won all those championships surrounded by a great supporting cast and under a coach who knew his stuff.

Magic should be considered too. The only player who, according to Julius Erving, could score four points in a game and be in complete control of it at both ends of the court.

My vote would be:

1) Wilt
2) MJ
3) Oscar
4) Magic
5) Kareem

Dead
05-07-2005, 12:15 AM
I really don't know how you can place Magic ahead of Bird.

Los Feliz Slim
05-07-2005, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's easily top 5 all time.

He was a better 3 pt shooter than Jordan, a better FT shooter, and while Jordan did average more PPG over his career, about 2/3 of those PPG can be attributed to getting to the free throw line more per game.

That said, I voted Jordan.

Bird is ahead of Magic, imo. And I hate the Celtics. But Bird's greatness cannot be denied.

And having Bird on the short list is not like having DiMaggio on the short list. DiMaggio was top 30 all time. Bird is top 5 all time. Bird was much better at basketball than DiMaggio was at baseball.

Top 5 players of all time, imo:

Jordan
Chamberlain
Robertson
Bird
Kareem

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care what anyone else says about you, Dead, you're alright in my book. Excellent post.

Dead
05-07-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't care what anyone else says about you, Dead, you're alright in my book. Excellent post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I appreciate that.

andyfox
05-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Living in L.A., I saw Magic play a lot more than I did Bird. I wonder what players who played against both of them in that era think?

J_V
05-07-2005, 12:40 AM
Norm Duke isn't the best bowler on tour. Walter Ray. No wonder you bowl 120's.

Dead
05-07-2005, 12:52 AM
It's 160s now.

Phoenix1010
05-07-2005, 12:57 AM
The big problem with voting for either Russel or Wilt is that many people would argue that they were not better than Shaq in his prime. Also, As is the case for all arguments about all-time greatest players, the time period makes it very hard to judge between players at the same position.

Dead
05-07-2005, 01:01 AM
Wilt > Shaq. And it's not close.

Duke
05-07-2005, 01:16 AM
Bird has no place on this thread.

If the question were "who made the most out of substandard physical ability?" Bird would be the clear winner. If it were "who was the best clutch performer in the history of the NBA?" Bird would be on the list.

Saying that Larry Bird is even among the best of all time is like saying that Kirk Gibson is among the best baseball players of all time.

Both had hearts like Secretariat, and both gave 190% every game, but neither were near the top performers of all time in their respective games.

At the Bird retirement thing at Boston Garden in '93, Magic took the microphone and said: “Larry, you only told me one lie. You said there will be another Larry Bird. Larry, there will never, ever be another Larry Bird.”

Bird's story and career were a lot like what would have happened if Rudy would have made it to the NFL. It's a great story that should never be forgotten. It makes you sad to see them go. You wish that your kids would get a chance to see someone with that little natural ability accomplish so much. It's like watching a retard win a Nobel prize. It makes you want to cry in embarassment with the knowledge that you've done so much less with so much more.

But to say Bird was the best is like saying that the retard is smarter than Newton.

~D

Phoenix1010
05-07-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, I forgot how many times you've seen Wilt play. You're certainly qualified.

Phoenix1010
05-07-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If the question were "who made the most out of substandard physical ability?" Bird would be the clear winner. If it were "who was the best clutch performer in the history of the NBA?" Bird would be on the list.

Saying that Larry Bird is even among the best of all time is like saying that Kirk Gibson is among the best baseball players of all time.

Both had hearts like Secretariat, and both gave 190% every game, but neither were near the top performers of all time in their respective games.

At the Bird retirement thing at Boston Garden in '93, Magic took the microphone and said: “Larry, you only told me one lie. You said there will be another Larry Bird. Larry, there will never, ever be another Larry Bird.”

Bird's story and career were a lot like what would have happened if Rudy would have made it to the NFL. It's a great story that should never be forgotten. It makes you sad to see them go. You wish that your kids would get a chance to see someone with that little natural ability accomplish so much. It's like watching a retard win a Nobel prize. It makes you want to cry in embarassment with the knowledge that you've done so much less with so much more.

But to say Bird was the best is like saying that the retard is smarter than Newton.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, Larry bird is widely regarded as the best power forward of all time. His accomplishments both overall and particularly when he was needed the most are impressive enough to land him in the top ten at least, if not top five.

scrub
05-07-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The only choices that should be on this poll are MJ, Wilt, and Oscar Robertson. Having Kareem on your poll clearly makes it a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

scrub

jakethebake
05-07-2005, 01:51 AM
if ever there was a thread that didnt deserve this many replaies, it's this one. this isnt close, people. there's nothing worth debating.

xorbie
05-07-2005, 07:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, Larry bird is widely regarded as the best power forward of all time. His accomplishments both overall and particularly when he was needed the most are impressive enough to land him in the top ten at least, if not top five.

[/ QUOTE ]

Small forward...

Phoenix1010
05-07-2005, 07:10 AM
Woops, brainfart.

Myrtle
05-07-2005, 07:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
11 rings and he didn't make the list? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

...I know....pretty humorous, ain't it!!

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LSUfan1
05-07-2005, 07:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are only considering this because of Wilt's stats. The truth is, if the 2 were to play in the same era Shaq would have dominated as he looked down and said "Nice try small fry!"

istewart
05-07-2005, 08:01 AM
Nevermind

Phoenix1010
05-07-2005, 08:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are only considering this because of Wilt's stats.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point. A lot of Wilt's statistical dominance owes to the level of competition he faced, and conventions of the game which have died out since his time. There's also the fact that he was the most prolific shooter in the history of the NBA, averaging more than 32 shots per game in his first four seasons. He had over 2000 FG attempted in his first six seasons (1990 in his seventh). Shaq has never had more than 1700 in a season, and Jordan had only one season with more than 2000. Wilt's 3159 FGA in '62 is just as crazy as some of his other records. This is all while leading the league in free throws attempted as well.

[ QUOTE ]
The truth is, if the 2 were to play in the same era Shaq would have dominated as he looked down and said "Nice try small fry!"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just as silly as Dead's claim.

Aytumious
05-07-2005, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point. A lot of Wilt's statistical dominance owes to the level of competition he faced, and conventions of the game which have died out since his time. There's also the fact that he was the most prolific shooter in the history of the NBA, averaging more than 32 shots per game in his first four seasons. He had over 2000 FG attempted in his first six seasons (1990 in his seventh). Shaq has never had more than 1700 in a season, and Jordan had only one season with more than 2000. Wilt's 3159 FGA in '62 is just as crazy as some of his other records. This is all while leading the league in free throws attempted as well.

[ QUOTE ]
The truth is, if the 2 were to play in the same era Shaq would have dominated as he looked down and said "Nice try small fry!"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You could try to imagine Shaq playing during Wilt's era. Even without the added weight training and nutritional science, Shaq would have been massive and nimble, moreso than Chamberlain. It would have been carnage on a scale larger than Wilt's.

bugstud
05-07-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You could try to imagine Shaq playing during Wilt's era. Even without the added weight training and nutritional science, Shaq would have been massive and nimble, moreso than Chamberlain. It would have been carnage on a scale larger than Wilt's.

[/ QUOTE ]

He would have fouled out in a quarter then

college_boy
05-07-2005, 10:42 PM
Wilt getting only 11% is a travesty.

pryor15
05-08-2005, 04:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And (Jordan's) defensive game was a thing of beauty that should be studied by all future NBA hopefulls(as this was pointed out in a prior post).

[/ QUOTE ]

and bill russell's wasn't?

george mikan changed the game of basketball more than MJ could even hope to claim. not to say MJ wasn't a top3 of all-time, but he didn't revolutionize the game. he took it to greater heights, but he didn't revolutionize the game itself. just the sneaker sales.

Schneids
05-08-2005, 05:48 AM
Once again the youthfulness of this board shows through. The fact Wilt isn't winning is sick.

Jack of Arcades
05-08-2005, 06:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bzzzzt. Try again.

CripAces
05-08-2005, 06:29 AM
Wilt is the only player in NBA history to both score 100 in a game, and have a double triple where he scored more than 20 points, and had mor than 20 assits and rebounds. While Jordan is great there is no comparison.

davelin
05-08-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wilt is the only player in NBA history to both score 100 in a game, and have a double triple where he scored more than 20 points, and had mor than 20 assits and rebounds. While Jordan is great there is no comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about the other bajillion accomplishments Jordan has done that Wilt hasn't? I can't believe you're basis this on the merits of two games.

ggbman
05-08-2005, 10:48 AM
It's jordan and it's not even close.