PDA

View Full Version : is tom cruise a wanker ?

stripsqueez
05-06-2005, 07:22 AM
i've always suspected that he was but never cared enough to think much about it - its not that i think he is a bad actor just that he has played a bunch of wanky roles in a lot of wanky movies

so today i'm listening to the radio - the talk is tom and his new girlfriend - it drifts to nicole kidman - the call on australian radio is that she wasted years taking crap roles in movies with a loser she married, the proof being that she dumped him and immediately won an oscar

i frankly dont care too much - the argument i need to settle is whether this is pro australian propoganda or the view of a reasonable mind

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Dynasty
05-06-2005, 07:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
its not that i think he is a bad actor just that he has played a bunch of wanky roles in a lot of wanky movies

[/ QUOTE ]

Somebody translate this upside-down, kangaroo loving, decendent of prisoners' bizarre language into proper American.

mackthefork
05-06-2005, 07:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Somebody translate this upside-down, kangaroo loving, decendent of prisoners' bizarre language into proper American.

[/ QUOTE ]

No such thing as proper American, meh, all you've done is take English and mis-spell half the words.

Mack

JackWilson
05-06-2005, 07:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No such thing as proper American, meh, all you've done is take English and mis-spell half the words.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

And you need to work on your grammar, sir.

NLSoldier
05-06-2005, 08:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
its not that i think he is a bad actor just that he has played a bunch of wanky roles in a lot of wanky movies

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I'm a big stripsqueez fan but this was hilarious.

mackthefork
05-06-2005, 08:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And you need to work on your grammar, sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

No excuses, I am just too lazy. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Simply excellent riposte, you have quite surpassed yourself old bean.

Regards Mack

Pocket Trips
05-06-2005, 09:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i've always suspected that he was but never cared enough to think much about it - its not that i think he is a bad actor just that he has played a bunch of wanky roles in a lot of wanky movies

so today i'm listening to the radio - the talk is tom and his new girlfriend - it drifts to nicole kidman - the call on australian radio is that she wasted years taking crap roles in movies with a loser she married, the proof being that she dumped him and immediately won an oscar

i frankly dont care too much - the argument i need to settle is whether this is pro australian propoganda or the view of a reasonable mind

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

[/ QUOTE ]

dunno if he is a wanker or not I used to think he was but his past few movies have been decent except for that sci-fi piece of crap he did a few years ago that i can't remember the name of right now, but he sure has screwed some of th hottest women on the planet.... Mimi Rogers, Nocole Kidman,Peneope Cruz and now katie holmes....thats quite an impressive list

2planka
05-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Tom Cruise is rapidly approaching Shatnerdom. Yes, he's a really big [censored] wanker.

swede123
05-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Tom is a very good actor, in my opinion. Yes, he tends to act somewhat similarly in many movies, but very few actors are able to change their personal style from one movie to another.

Some of his better movies are Born on the Fourth of July, Rain Man, Jerry Maguire, Minority Report, and rather recently, Collateral.

Ultimately I think it comes down to whether you like his acting style or not. But do check out Collateral if you haven't, definitely one of his better movies in a while.

Swede

jack spade23
05-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Ill say hes a wanker so i can call someone a wanker. Heh. wanker.

YourFoxyGrandma
05-06-2005, 10:02 AM
Seems like an okay guy to me. Plus, Rosie O'Donnel seems to like him.

Pocket Trips
05-06-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Plus, Rosie O'Donnel seems to like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I changed my mind he is the UBER-WANKER.. not his fault but that fat ugly self-righteous dyke really pisses me off... She finally found a role she is suited for playing a retard recently

morello
05-06-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your not doing the Tom Cruise fans a favour by announcing this. Most people (rightfully) hate Rosie.

And most people (should!) love Tom. Don't mix the two together.

MoreWineII
05-06-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is tom cruise a wanker ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and it's not close.

YourFoxyGrandma
05-06-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your not doing the Tom Cruise fans a favour by announcing this. Most people (rightfully) hate Rosie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm just not funny anymore.

Aytumious
05-06-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tom is a very good actor, in my opinion. Yes, he tends to act somewhat similarly in many movies, but very few actors are able to change their personal style from one movie to another.

Some of his better movies are Born on the Fourth of July, Rain Man, Jerry Maguire, Minority Report, and rather recently, Collateral.

Ultimately I think it comes down to whether you like his acting style or not. But do check out Collateral if you haven't, definitely one of his better movies in a while.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I think he's actually underrated as an actor despite his uberfame. His character in Eyes Wide Shut makes me smirk throughout the entire movie. Also, in the more serious interviews I've seen with him, he's come off as being remarkably driven and yet amazingly grounded despite his huge success. But, yeah, he's like a total wankjob.

kyro
05-06-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm just not funny anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes you are. some people are just slower than others.

kyro
05-06-2005, 02:38 PM
I have no idea. I've never met him. Only seen him in a few movies. I feel he is a good actor, but determining most celebrity's character is impossible. Most of you are most likely just jealous.

IndieMatty
05-06-2005, 02:40 PM
Tom Cruise is Tits.

Have you guys ever seen his movies? He's one of the best "big" actors we have.

2planka
05-06-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's one of the best "big" actors we have.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's the heir apparent to Shatner. That is all.

DeezNuts
05-06-2005, 02:46 PM
People always start to shoot down actors once they get "big" or have an adoring public around them. Tom Cruise has made some very good films such as Jerry Maguire, A Few Good Men, Cocktail, Top Gun, Risky Business, and Vanilla Sky(disagree if you like), Mission Impossible, The Color of Money, The Firm, Rain Man, etc.

Admittedly they aren't "deep" roles, but he chooses roles well and hits most of them out of the park for what he is asked to do. Just because he is a big name and women love him doesn't mean he is a complete tool as an actor. It's some sort of reverse snobbery that people on this board have.

DN

Aytumious
05-06-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's one of the best "big" actors we have.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's the heir apparent to Shatner. That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

What movies was Shatner in that even approach what Cruise has done?

2planka
05-06-2005, 02:53 PM
His role in Top Gun = Shatner
His role in Days of Thunder = Shatner
His role in A few Good Men = Shatner
His role in that Samuri movie = Shatner

His acting ability, nay, lack thereof, is very Shatner.

He overdoes it. He plays the same character in every film.

And he's a tremendous wanker.

Costner is another Shatner candidate.

chaas4747
05-06-2005, 02:57 PM
He was great in The Last Samurai. Also I think anyone who uses the word yanker deserves to catch herpes.

Aytumious
05-06-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
His role in Top Gun = Shatner
His role in Days of Thunder = Shatner
His role in A few Good Men = Shatner
His role in that Samuri movie = Shatner

His acting ability, nay, lack thereof, is very Shatner.

He overdoes it. He plays the same character in every film.

And he's a tremendous wanker.

Costner is another Shatner candidate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eyes Wide Shut -- underrated
Interview with the Vampire -- a very underrated movie
Magnolia -- a very entertaining role most people probably haven't seen.
A Few Good Men
Born on the Fourth of July
Rain Man
The Color of Money

He was very good in all these roles, and I wouldn't say they are all the same character, although a few were typecasts.

Also, you ended your post by saying Costner is another Shatner. That I would agree with moreso than Cruise.

Dantes
05-06-2005, 03:14 PM
read this (http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,353577,00.html) and tell me he's not a douche.

SmileyEH
05-06-2005, 03:16 PM
I like tom cruise. But he is a scientoligist.

-SmileyEH

purnell
05-06-2005, 03:18 PM
I don't give a [censored] one way or the other but I'm fairly sure nicole's work will be easier to find 30 years from now.

chaas4747
05-06-2005, 03:19 PM
He does sound like a dick in that interview.

chaas4747
05-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Who's Nichole?

Aytumious
05-06-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He does sound like a dick in that interview.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the risk of sounding like a Tom Cruise fanboy, what did he say that was indicative of being a dick? He's a little overzealous about his belief system, but other than that, there is nothing in the interview that indicates he's a jerk in anyway that I see.

chaas4747
05-06-2005, 03:30 PM
He just sounded real stand-off-ish. Like, this is what I believe and if you do not think this way then you are wrong. I spoke with a guy one night at a poker table that was a traditionalist Catholic. He told me things, like If you are not a Catholic you will not be allowed into heaven and If you mother is a minister in the Methodist Church, she will be damned, women should not be allowed to preach the word of god. I walked away that night thinking that guy was an ass also.

astroglide
05-06-2005, 03:34 PM
"Cruise: You don't understand what I am saying. It's a statistically proven fact that there is only one successful drug rehabilitation program in the world. Period."

ok that's pretty funny. but i don't mind the guy or his movies at all. some celebrities will grab somebody's cell phone and start talking if somebody says "OMG I'M STANDING NEXT TO TOM CRUISE LOL" and i think that's pretty fun. cruise does that so he's ok in my book.

tdarko
05-06-2005, 03:34 PM
nobody that has had the box he's had is a wanker.

Aytumious
05-06-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He just sounded real stand-off-ish. Like, this is what I believe and if you do not think this way then you are wrong. I spoke with a guy one night at a poker table that was a traditionalist Catholic. He told me things, like If you are not a Catholic you will not be allowed into heaven and If you mother is a minister in the Methodist Church, she will be damned, women should not be allowed to preach the word of god. I walked away that night thinking that guy was an ass also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I doubt he's damning anyone to hell, but I do understand your point. I bet he's done an enormous amount of charity work and has spent millions of his own money, which I respect, and he really sounds like more of a devoted humanist than a wackjob Christian. I'm doubting he or Spielberg were expecting such a standoffish interviewer, which may account for some of the tone of the interview.

DeezNuts
05-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Who gives a crap if he sounds like a dick in an interview or if he goes out and sniffs coke all day long. It's not like you can pretend to know who he is or what he really stands for. People that pretend to be able to extract these things from interviews or what he(or any other celeb) puts out in public view are the real tools.

I am only basing my opinion of him on his movies and characters he plays, a large percentage(mammoth compared to most other actors) of which I have enjoyed. Also, for the most part he seems to be good to his fans and not take himself too seriously.

"You must TAME the pussy!"

DN

Blarg
05-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Nicole Kidman was in plenty of other movies besides the Cruise ones.

And he was dragging her along, not the opposite. She made very big bank off his star power.

Aytumious
05-06-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who gives a crap if he sounds like a dick in an interview or if he goes out and sniffs coke all day long. It's not like you can pretend to know who he is or what he really stands for. People that pretend to be able to extract these things from interviews or what he(or any other celeb) puts out in public view are the real tools.

I am only basing my opinion of him on his movies and characters he plays, a large percentage(mammoth compared to most other actors) of which I have enjoyed.

"You must TAME the pussy"

DN

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize Cruise was in that movie until he came on for that bit. I was basically the only person in the theater who thought it was hilarious. I've never had so many people give me bad looks.

PokerNoob
05-06-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nobody that has had the box he's had is a wanker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except he believes in all that General Jack D. Ripper essence preservation crap. Either that or he's a pole smoker.

tdarko
05-06-2005, 03:51 PM
i guess i am the type of person that doesn't worry about other's preferences. the man is a pimp and thou shalt not hate.

PokerNoob
05-06-2005, 03:56 PM
But the ex-wife said he wouldn't touch it. What is up with that? They even had to adopt their kids. He is Strange.

tdarko
05-06-2005, 03:58 PM
yeah man that is strange, maybe she had some serious fromundacheese?

MoreWineII
05-06-2005, 03:59 PM
His acting ability consists of being good-looking and smirking at the camera. He's not *terrible*, but he's not great either, imo.

Face it, if he were average-looking most of us would probably never have heard of him.

And sorry if this offends anyone, but scientology is simpy weird.

purnell
05-06-2005, 04:03 PM
I forget.

Blarg
05-06-2005, 04:03 PM
I'd say scientology veers well past weird and solidly into the sad and scary and abusive, but disagree that he has no acting chops. He was extremely good in Born on the Fourth of July.

The thing is, he tends to choose just movies that will make him richer and richer, not known as a better and better actor doing more and more interesting things. He's like the anti-DeNiro or something in that way. Cruise can definitely go on acting auto-pilot through the kind of movies he chooses. He's done it long enough that I can't blame anyone for forgetting that there's actually a good actor buried somewhere underneath the mountain of mediocre movies he makes.

MoreWineII
05-06-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He was extremely good in Born on the Fourth of July.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got me there. He was also excellent in that psycho-hitman-cab-driver movie with Jamie Foxx. I forget the name and I'm too lazy to google it.

I guess I feel that the amount of attention Tom recieves is not at all in proportion to his acting ability. Meanwhile, a guy like Paul Giamatti, who's 100x better actor labors in near-anonymity because he's not "hot."

2planka
05-06-2005, 04:06 PM
I wonder if he's a scientologist because perhaps he gets paid to be a scientologist? Mere speculation. D. Sanders got paid to wear Jesus bling, so it could be possible.

Aytumious
05-06-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if he's a scientologist because perhaps he gets paid to be a scientologist? Mere speculation. D. Sanders got paid to wear Jesus bling, so it could be possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Extremely doubtful. I'm sure the money flowage is from him to them.