PDA

View Full Version : More Important than where... How do Pros live?

11-22-2002, 03:56 PM
One poster asked "Where do the Pros Live"... well geographically... wherever there are games.

A more germaine question might be, "How do they live". I mean to say, can't exactly get a mortgage with the occupation "Gambler".

Heck, probably couldn't if you said, "At home day trader" either.

So do they all live in trailers in Summerlin or over there off the strip??? In weekly rent motels?

'course if you wealthy enough or have a day job, no problems I suppose. But is a rich player really a pro?

I mean to say, if you're a "trust fund pro" aren't you really a hobbyist, even if you are winning at a good rate?

And if you have the day job, chances are it's not a great one, so where's the life there? Though I did meet
a pro or two claiming to be trained by R. Greider who owned an accounting practice. The claim there was also that between the two of them they were earning an extra 20K a year at 1-5 stud. Hmm... seems a bit high... even at $5 an hour win rate. They'd have each had to play about 2000 hrs a year. Now how
could a full time accountant do that on top of running a firm?

Sincerely,
Frank

HDPM
11-22-2002, 07:09 PM
Didn't my post below answer that too? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

11-22-2002, 07:13 PM
Yes, I suppose so. '78 Cutlass. Geez a rust bucket too...

Guess that's sort of like the old joke... "Where does a Poker Pro make his money?"

"In the parking lot."

I always took that to mean robbing folks.

Sincerely,
Frank

Matt D
11-29-2002, 09:49 AM
One word: CASH

If it can't be bought with cash, it doesn't get bought.

snakehead
11-29-2002, 02:00 PM
some pros live in nice houses with swimming pools, and others live in budget suites. it depends on how successful they are. financing is more dependent on your credit rating than on your occupation. self-employed people often have to make a larger down payment or pay a little higher interest, but they still get financed. I don't think anyone puts poker player on the application.

Inthacup
11-30-2002, 11:29 PM
The claim there was also that between the two of them they were earning an extra 20K a year at 1-5 stud. Hmm... seems a bit high... even at $5 an hour win rate.

It's nearly impossible. The rake is ridiculous at 1-5 stud. They are either being VERY generous with their win rates or are flat out lying.

Trefo
12-01-2002, 02:37 AM
Agreed can't make that much in stud...they're pulling your leg or overestimating their winnings.

thebroker
12-01-2002, 08:35 AM