PDA

View Full Version : Favorite movies that you can't buy or rent

Blarg
05-06-2005, 04:50 AM
There are a few I go looking for every once in a while, but either they haven't been marketed or are only available in VHS(I like DVD), or they are no longer sold. Here are the ones I really wish I could see again and would buy if I had the chance.

1. Diary of a Madman -- Vincent Price movie, well reviewed, modeled after the Guy De Maupassant(spelling?) short story called "The Horta." An invisible evil spirit passes to a man and makes him do ghastly things. A great paranoid, creepy adventure.

2. Boudu Saved from Drowning -- Directed by Renoir, this film from the 30's has Michel Simon in it clowning it up, and is very funny. My favorite Renoir film. Later remade abysmally by the otherwise talented Paul Bartel as Down and Out in Beverly Hills, starring Nick Nolte and Bette Midler.

3. The Silent Partner -- Elliot Gould and Christopher ...er...the guy from Sound of Music. Anyway, a milquetoast knocked about by everyone decides to take a bit out of life by robbing the bank where he works during his day shift there, but another robber interrupts him halfway through it, getting away with...only some of the money. Finding out that much more was stolen than he got away with, the robber comes looking for the wimp, and a great bloody battle of wits ensues. Fantastic movie!

4. Berlin Alexanderplatz -- Fassbinder t.v. series also released as a movie during the glory days of the German New Wave. Really moving, and a great story.

5. La Bete Humaine -- Great French film noir from way back when, directed by Renoir, I think.

6. Human Desire -- Fritz Lang film with Glenn Ford, subverting his good guy image, going bad for a bad girl. Wonderfully and frankly amoral portrait.

7. The Nightstalker -- classic 70's t.v. show with Darren McGavin, who was hugely popular playing a bumbling, irascible reporter always driving his editor mad spouting crazy ideas about whatever monster of the week was troubling him in this supernatural drama. There were two pilots that came out which were hugely popular. Anchor Bay put them out together, but butchered one by chopping off the ending, which was actually a very important part of the story and very moving. The series itself was very uneven, but Darren McGavin doing almost anything was hilarious enough by itself to make almost anything worth watching. So far, only the pilots have come out.

8. Mighty Mouse -- the Ralph Bakshi t.v. show done in the 80's, not the old one. Very funny and sometimes biting. The reappearance of the old Mighty Heroes superhero team in one episode, now balding and fat yet with one of them still in diapers, is a huge high point, and did that theme really well long before The Incredibles ever got around to it.

Damn, I wish I could see some of these again. Anyone else got some favorites?

Phoenix1010
05-06-2005, 05:04 AM
I've never seen a single movie on your list, you've given them good reviews, and told me that there's no way I can see them. I feel sad.

flatline
05-06-2005, 05:58 AM
Rad.

Tablerat
05-06-2005, 06:04 AM
I'm not familiar with the ones you listed, but my pick is easily Sucker Free City (2004) directed by Spike Lee. The plot revolves around three young men, (Asian, African-American and white) whose lives are intertwined through street gangs in the rough neighborhood of Hunter's Point in San Francisco.

It was supposed to become a regular TV series on Showtime, but was cancelled, and only the pilot-movie (almost 2 hours) made it to air. The only way to see it, I believe, is when Showtime periodically airs that pilot, which showed tremendous potential for a series yet stands alone as a solid movie. Hopefully it'll go to DVD someday.

Dynasty
05-06-2005, 06:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The reappearance of the old Mighty Heroes superhero team in one episode, now balding and fat yet with one of them still in diapers, is a huge high point...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to see that. I thought the Mighty Heroes were awesome.

dsm
05-06-2005, 06:28 AM
Eddie Brandt's has the following "in stock" for rent:

1. Diary of a Madman

2. Boudu Saved from Drowning

6. Human Desire

7. The Nightstalker episodes

All these were in their catalogue. When you go inside their store they have a "Private Stock" catalogue that will probably have "The Silent Partner," and very possibly a few others.

Eddie Brandt's Saturday Matinee
5006 Vineland Ave.
North Hollywood, California 91601

818-506-4242
818-506-7722
fax 818-506-5649

Store hours:
tues - fri. 1:pm-6:pm
sat 8:30am - 5:pm
Closed sun & mon

They will rent their videos & DVD's by mail (UPS)
if you live too far away.

-dsm

pshreck
05-06-2005, 06:40 AM
Cannibal Holocaust

YourFoxyGrandma
05-06-2005, 09:12 AM
Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter. It sounds funny, but it's actually the worst movie I've ever seen and it's not even close. There's a few musical numbers and a some fight sequences. The extrememly low production value is the reason for watching, though.

lautzutao
05-06-2005, 09:30 AM
Pi(Title actually the Math Symbol)

Saw it once at a friends house, never been able to find it in a store or at Blockbuster. Movie about Mathematics and Divinity, great cinematography and incredible directing.

jojobinks
05-06-2005, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pi(Title actually the Math Symbol)

Saw it once at a friends house, never been able to find it in a store or at Blockbuster. Movie about Mathematics and Divinity, great cinematography and incredible directing.

[/ QUOTE ]

if it's at amazon for $11, does it count as not available to buy or rent? pi at amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/078401213X/qid=1115386437/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-6326677-9008911?v=glance&s=dvd)

Blarg
05-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Netflix also has it. It's in my rental queue.

offTopic
05-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Ping Pong. (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0328258/)

Given that this is OOT, I must say, NO, it's not about that. Caught this on an international flight a couple of years ago. Nice movie about friendship, goals, and why people play the game.

daryn
05-06-2005, 12:19 PM
i always liked Obscure Director's "Obscure Movie", starring Obscure Actor and co-starring Obscure Actress

Blarg
05-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Wow, thanks a lot, DSM. I only hope they're on video and not VHS, as I don't have a VHS machine anymore, but I'm going to give those guys a call. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blarg
05-06-2005, 12:21 PM
This sounds like one of your less successful attempts at humor. Congratulations on the reverse snobbery.

Blarg
05-06-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The reappearance of the old Mighty Heroes superhero team in one episode, now balding and fat yet with one of them still in diapers, is a huge high point...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to see that. I thought the Mighty Heroes were awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

They were very funny back in the day. I used to love getting the bubble gum with the water-based Mighty Heroes temporary tattoos. What's not to love about the leader of a group of superheros named Diaperman?

daryn
05-06-2005, 12:29 PM
i think it's funny, that's all. you're basically stipulating that nobody can ever have heard of these movies.

YourFoxyGrandma
05-06-2005, 12:30 PM
That's kindof the point.

daryn
05-06-2005, 12:34 PM
uhh... i know?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Zoltri
05-06-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Nightstalker -- classic 70's t.v. show with Darren McGavin

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the first scary movie I saw as a kid. I loved this movie even though the character below scared the crap out of me.

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/images/n-s/nightstalker3.jpg

Blarg
05-06-2005, 12:48 PM
I've known lots of people who've known and loved each of those, but the problem is, now those films/shows can't get any new fans, and I can never enjoy them again. Some of them, like The Silent Partner, are so good that I've watched them probably a dozen times(way back when that movie was first being shown on cable), and the Vicent Price one is my favorite horror movie. Boudu was one of the best movie comedies ever; that's why it was eventually remade(and bungled).

All of these were very popular in their day; I just wish they could get another chance.

I'm psyched by dsm's info on Eddie Brant's. They unfortunately don't have a web address, but I'm going to call them up and see if I can get a hold of the shows he mentioned their having.

beerbandit
05-06-2005, 12:50 PM
spring break shark attack

Blarg
05-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Scared the crap out of me too LOL. I saw it as a kid, and everyone was freaked out about it. It was so popular the network did something they never did -- they reran it again like the next week or something, as I recall. Everybody who ever saw that guy crashing through the window remembers it. Great, great show!

I'll never forget our hero Darren McGavin's hiding cowering in a closet as the bad guy leafs through his suits, then finally freaking out and suicidally bursting past him and running like hell after he just can't take the fear anymore even though he was probably safe. Very funny and crazy, and everyone who saw it loved it. I mean, how much of being scared can you take before you just go out of your mind and do something totally stupid? Everyone loved Darren McGavin for that. You could relate to the guy.

Some moments in the series were very scary, but it was McGavin's performance that really made the show. He and Maxwell Smart in Get Smart had that great fun thing going with their bosses being really aggravated and exasperated by them, too. You always looked forward to their confrontations. "But boss, you don't understand. You have to listen to me this time. My theory is that it's a werewolf..." LOL. Priceless stuff, played totally straight. Great acting.