PDA

View Full Version : OOT help: Is this 42in HDTV Mitsuibishi a good buy?

wonderwes
05-06-2005, 02:19 AM
http://www.alluvium.com/~wes/mitsu1.jpg

This was on the local online classifieds. This is a 42" Mitsubishi WT-42313. He says the TV is a year old, he is including the factory stand, a 4 year protection plan and some gold monster HD cables. He posts on his ad that he is moving to NYC, so thats why he is selling the TV. He posts he will sell it for $1100 or OBO.

I need some advice from OOT, because I know many of you can review a HDTV in no time. This is a Non-DLP HD. Its is a rear projection obviously. Do you think this is a good set, and what offer should I make to him? He says other people contacted him interested in the TV but I am the first one to see it and make him an offer. I would plan on selling my 32in sony WEGA and 27in JVC to pay for this. Any suggestions are appreciated.

SmileyEH
05-06-2005, 02:21 AM
fold preflop

-SmileyEH

BusterStacks
05-06-2005, 02:21 AM
I would make an effort to purchse it, Mitsubishi TVs are some of the best around. Actually 1100 seems like a pretty decent deal in itself, but I bet you could walk with it for $900.

peachy
05-06-2005, 12:52 PM
its OK...not great though id look around more...my mitsubishi is i think 72 or 75 or whatever it is HDTV widescreen was a lil over 2k - got it at a scratch and dent...it had on lil scratch down the side so they cut the price way down. Honestly id get a widescreen if i were u...but thats just personaly preference

david050173
05-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Seems like an OK deal. Looks like it is ~1300 dollar tv new+ 400 bucks of goodies so you are getting a decent discount buying used. Mitsubishi tends to make a pretty nice tv. Personally I would save up for a dlp/lcd/plasma but that is a personal choice and I am willing to spend the additional 1K.

wonderwes
05-06-2005, 03:37 PM
I just went to the guy. The best I could get him to was 1k flat. His tv is in near mint condition and has nothing wrong with it. I did not even mind the size of the TV. I thought it was pretty short, even on its TV stand. It just didnt sell me as a great deal. Even with the 3 year Best Buy warranty plan. I think, by the end of the year, I will probably see a nice HD for under $1500 that I will really want. I think my optimal size would be like a 48in. BTW- Is it a must to have a DLP chip? Most DLP's appear to have a brighter picture, but I wanted to get the consensus opinion.

PokerNoob
05-06-2005, 04:02 PM
I think if you can wait for Christmas season, you'll get a great deal on an HD set. I think DLP does better for sports, action movies, other rapidly-changing picture type stuff. JVC also has a proprietary chip that looks pretty good. That's what I got. Just hang in there. You don't want this guy's set, even for a mere thousand bucks.

david050173
05-06-2005, 05:47 PM
I think the picture is about even between DLP/LCD/LCOS and normal crt projection for most people. CRTs tend to have slightly better blacks but most people really can't tell unless you are really looking. The big difference is that the DLP will not have alignment issues in 3 years. Note that DLP and the like do have a rather expensive light buld that has to be replaced every 5000 hour or so...

Dead
05-06-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its OK...not great though id look around more...my mitsubishi is i think 72 or 75 or whatever it is HDTV widescreen was a lil over 2k - got it at a scratch and dent...it had on lil scratch down the side so they cut the price way down. Honestly id get a widescreen if i were u...but thats just personaly preference

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

wonderwes
05-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Har Har, he posted it again and lowered the price to $925.

Link (http://austin.craigslist.com/ele/72031738.html)