PDA

View Full Version : When someone says, "not to mention"....

JTrout
05-06-2005, 02:14 AM
don't they mean to say, "and"?

rmarotti
05-06-2005, 02:16 AM
You're right. We need to adopt Newspeak, and quick.

YourFoxyGrandma
05-06-2005, 02:16 AM
No.

BusterStacks
05-06-2005, 02:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're right. We need to adopt Newspeak, and quick.

[/ QUOTE ]

This idea is double plusgood.

rmarotti
05-06-2005, 02:18 AM
nh /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ZeeJustin
05-06-2005, 02:27 AM
Not when used correctly. Basically, the information said after "not to mention" is kind of off the record information that can be ignored for the purposes of the discussion.

Even though technically the information has been mentioned, saying, "and to mention" instead would mean something different. It gives more importance to the information to be added.

I don't think I explained what I was trying to say very well, but it made sense to me...

Edit: here's an example:

Jane's Dad: Janey, why were you smoking in the bathroom at school!?

Jane's Brother: I know why Dad! It's because she lacks discipline... not to mention the fact that she's an ignorant slut.

See how the discipline fact relates to the conversation, but the ignorant slut comment doesn't?

Yobz
05-06-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not when used correctly. Basically, the information said after "not to mention" is kind of off the record information that can be ignored for the purposes of the discussion.

Even though technically the information has been mentioned, saying, "and to mention" instead would mean something different. It gives more importance to the information to be added.

I don't think I explained what I was trying to say very well, but it made sense to me...

Edit: here's an example:

Jane's Dad: Janey, why were you smoking in the bathroom at school!?

Jane's Brother: I know why Dad! It's because she lacks discipline... not to mention the fact that she's an ignorant slut.

See how the discipline fact relates to the conversation, but the ignorant slut comment doesn't?

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe, I like Jane's brother...and where is Jane now anyway?

JTrout
05-06-2005, 02:35 AM
They could use "as well as", also, in addition to "along with".

IggyWH
05-06-2005, 02:36 AM
That was way too deep of an explaination for OOT...

YourFoxyGrandma
05-06-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your point?

JTrout
05-06-2005, 02:38 AM

ZeeJustin
05-06-2005, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, that would mean something different. That would add information to prove the same point.

Here's another example:

Johnny: Hey Chris, do you think Jennifer umm likes me? She's really keen.

Chris: Gee wiz Johnny! I'm sure she likes you. You're a really swell guy!

Chris(in a whisper): ...not to mention the time she was totaly staring at your cock in gym class.

It actually has a slightly different meaning in this conotation. It's more ike, "if anyone asks, it wasn't mentioned by me".

YourFoxyGrandma
05-06-2005, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what this means.

youtalkfunny
05-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Aw, come on!

You guys are doing a TERRIBLE job of defining "not to mention"--not to mention awful and horrible.

It means, "I don't need to offer further evidence to bolster my point, but if I did, I could also add..."