PDA

View Full Version : Where to start (in online poker)?

Schmag
05-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Hi. I've been playing poker now for about 6 months and I am loving it so far. I've read a couple of books, have played a few live small stakes (10$ buy-in) single table tourneys, and have been playing (free) Tigergaming.net. I am learninga lot but have hit a bit of a wall, I think, mainly becuase I have a fair amount of book knowledge (from the books and this forum etc) but not much of a chance to put it into practice. I play the live games about twice a month, which just isn't enough, and the tigergaming demo gives me no idea how well I can/could play because it's free money we're playing with.

So... I want to play for real money online and want to know the "best" place to go. Things to consider in giving me advice are

(1) I am a beginner: Some sites seem to have reputations of being tougher, and though I eventually want tougher competition, I want to minimize my losses, which brings me to my next point

(2) I don't have an abundance of cash, so I want to start off in much smaller gaes (meaning under a buck, not 10/20)

(3) I'd like to try out that pokertracker or one of those poker stat programs so I can try to improve my game. And hopefully the program will be easy to use and interpret etc. (Where can I get help on this forum with that sort of stuff?)

That's it. I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments.

NateDog
05-05-2005, 11:54 PM
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=micro

look at the sticky at the top of the micro forum for you answers

ewile
05-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Welcome aboard.
Open an account at Poker Stars. They have micro-limit limit and no limit games and support Poker Tracker.
PM me with your screen name there and I'll transfer you $5 to play with. Why? Because I'm running pretty well and feeling generous.
Pay me back if you win.

(I will not be able to make this transaction untill tomorrow evening since I'll be at work all day tomorrow, but if you do this I WILL stick to my word.)

carlo
05-06-2005, 12:18 AM
The major sites for micro limits are PokerStars,UltimateBet and ParadisePoker. All three sites offer.05/.10,.25/.50 Limit Holdem games and I believe lower(.02/.04).

Stars or Paradise would be a good place to start and you might consider Ultimate Bet.

Playing on any site will not guarantee you minimal losses. It is poker you know--you'll have to choose your poison. Log onto the above sites and look around--you can download without depositing. They all have play money tables.

Neteller is a good choice for depositing and yes, PokerTracker is a nice program. You can log onto the PokerTracker website to gain information.

Good Luck and Regards,
carlo

P.S.--Stars has the best tournaments online and you can play in freerolls and $1,$2,$3 buy in tourneys--it is a good experience.

papa_georgio
05-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Try this thread. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=inet&Number=1060198&fpart= &PHPSESSID=) I saw you posted this same thing in the general forum. I went ahead and put the link there too.

playersare
05-06-2005, 05:19 PM
BABFN is not applicable to micro/nano-limit players.

for limits 25c/50c and below, focus on avoiding rake and building your bankroll through actual play. Poker Stars has the most gradual progression of limits, and they don't rake a single LHE pot until it reaches $5. you really don't need any other suggestions, but if for some reason you don't like Poker Stars, then you could try Paradise Poker after that.

once you have at least $200-300 and are comfortable playing 50c/$1 tables, then you can start working the bonuses.

William
05-06-2005, 06:15 PM
Empire sounds like the right place to start right now /images/graemlins/grin.gif

DesignProdigy
05-06-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Empire sounds like the right place to start right now /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
oh dammit, you beat me to it..