PDA

View Full Version : Internet tells

Scuba Chuck
05-05-2005, 11:40 PM
I have only found one reliable internet tell.

when it's folded to you in the small blind, and you complete and the BB immediately checks. He has nothing, and is asking you to bet the flop to take it down.

Do you know of any?

J-Lo
05-05-2005, 11:44 PM
When someone limps from SB and i check the BB instantly, and then he min bets, it means he has nothing, and i should move in-- and i do. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

microbet
05-05-2005, 11:53 PM
When I limp from the SB and the BB checks instantly, then I check the flop and if he goes allin, I know he has nothing and I call.

Degen
05-05-2005, 11:53 PM
there are all kinds of tells and they all have to do with length of time it takes them to bet...this can be a reverse tell (doing the opposite of what the standard tell is) etc.

Andre

Bigwig
05-05-2005, 11:56 PM
I think looking for internet tells is really reaching. Save the 'tells' for live play. On the net, look for patterns. That's your online tell.

DasLeben
05-06-2005, 12:23 AM
When I'm in the BB and SB completes after it's folded to him, he's telling me that he wants to lose his blind. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

HighestCard
05-06-2005, 01:12 AM
I have one problem with your statement. On pokerroom there is an option box of "check" where you will be instantly checked like you have the "check/fold" box checked but not folded if a bet happens. Ive used this to mislead a few players into thinking ive had nothing.

Freudian
05-06-2005, 01:30 AM
The only reliable is the long pause->raise. It means he has you beat.*

* - results may vary

Big Limpin'
05-06-2005, 02:14 AM
Sometimes i get cocky when i know i have the best hand on river. If i have the other guy covered, sometimes i bet all but a buck of what he can call. You know, if he has 400 left, i'll bet 399. Just casue i think its funny as hell when they do call, and watch them play that last $.

I have noticed a few times (not often, but a few, from different opponents) that i have see others doing this. I can guarentee you that they expect to win the hand.

So, if somone bets all but a buck into you, muck without the nuts.

curtains
05-06-2005, 02:17 AM
One good internet tell is when you raise someone from the SB, and they fold instantly (thus you know they had autocheck fold on).

What this means is that you can often make smaller or minimum raises in the future, as they are clearly not paying attention to the size of your raise, and will simply fold their garbage hands no matter what.

Angelic_Ace
05-06-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't find this to be reliable, a long pause can often mean the opponent is deciding whether to make a big bluff attempt.

Generally, timing tells are inconsistent and there are many people like myself who will purposely stall, act quickly, auto-check and the like.

DasLeben
05-06-2005, 02:20 AM
I tend to act quickly when I have an opponent beat. This is usually the opposite of what most people expect. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

send_the_msg
05-06-2005, 06:38 AM
although it's kinda a weird thing, if you get raised big and ask the player if they'll show their cards if you fold, their response is usually a major tell. almost everytime someone says yes, they have nothing. i've used this and had about 80-90% effectiveness.

pergesu
05-06-2005, 07:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
there are all kinds of tells and they all have to do with length of time it takes them to bet...this can be a reverse tell (doing the opposite of what the standard tell is) etc.

Andre

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't read a word of this. I was busy staring at the avatar.

raptor517
05-06-2005, 07:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes i get cocky when i know i have the best hand on river. If i have the other guy covered, sometimes i bet all but a buck of what he can call. You know, if he has 400 left, i'll bet 399

[/ QUOTE ]

im gonna start bluffing people like this, especially you 2+2ers that think that you know whats goin on. bwahhahhaa. unless, you know its me, and you know i know to bluff all but 1 chip, so u call with the non nuts, but at this point, i was on the third level, and was doing that with the nuts. actually, i probably forgot you were 2+2, and was on the first level anyway. how much respect can you REALLY give me?? hmmm??? holla

Tilt
05-06-2005, 09:20 AM
I have one....

Opponent goes all in, and if he types anything in the chat box while you think, like "don't call" or "lets gamble" or something like that...fold. They don't type when they are worried you'll call.

hummusx
05-06-2005, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is usually true. Most of the time a long pause (by long I mean really long, not just slow) means they are folding but they are trying to 'save face' by not folding. You almost NEVER see a really, really long pause and then a call/raise. If you see a long, long pause and then a raise, it's usually someone pretending to think about it to make themselves look weak. Of course, it helps if you note other multi-tablers so you don't mistake their play for this move.

wh1t3bread
05-06-2005, 11:56 AM
If you stare at the person's character long enough you might notice heavy breathing. That means he is bluffing and you need to call.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wes ManTooth
05-06-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you stare at the person's character long enough you might notice heavy breathing. That means he is bluffing and you need to call.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is not wearing sunglasses, look into his soul, only then you can tell if he is bluffing.

2planka
05-06-2005, 12:13 PM
Betting patterns are the only reliable indicators.

e.g.: min raise from EP usually means monster.
e.g.: a player bets/raises an unusual amount (say the guy uses 3xBB as his standard raise, but this time he pops it to 5x. By itself it means nothing (could just be using the slider, I suppose), but you have to figure out if it does mean something.
e.g.: a player comes to life after a brick hits on a late street.

Does he bet his strong hands or does he like to slowplay?

Does he always lead out after a pf raise?

Sometimes I take a little longer to call/raise because I'm doing my guzintas. Sometimes it's because I'm in a hand on another table. Sometimes I'm taking a leak. Sometimes I'm on a beer run.

Focus on betting patterns.

vindikation
05-06-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have one....

Opponent goes all in, and if he types anything in the chat box while you think, like "don't call" or "lets gamble" or something like that...fold. They don't type when they are worried you'll call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran into this last night (as well as a few other times) the guy UTG went all in and typed "you don't want a piece of this" I folded in the BB and he ended up showing KK.

Apathy
05-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Timing tells are tricky because for people like me and many others here who play 4-12 tables talk on AIM, MSN the phone, post on 2+2 while making lunch, you can't get too much of a read on me if i wait 20 seconds before pushing, all it means is that im waiting for the microwave to finish with my pizza pockets. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Freudian
05-06-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Timing tells are tricky because for people like me and many others here who play 4-12 tables talk on AIM, MSN the phone, post on 2+2 while making lunch, you can't get too much of a read on me if i wait 20 seconds before pushing, all it means is that im waiting for the microwave to finish with my pizza pockets. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The ones who try to delay to look weak often see 60% of flops and people who play that loose don't play 8 tables. I would be surprised if they even played two.

Phil Van Sexton
05-06-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. You can only conclude anything if your opponent acts quickly.

Assuming it's not superquick because they had a checkbox preselected, a quick action means that they didn't need to think about their decision.

Some players can make instant decisions, but most have to think a bit in borderline cases.

A quick limp from the SB usually indicates they don't have much of a hand. If they had AA, they'd usually pause in order to decide how to play it.

A quick call post flop usually indicates a draw. A weak hand would stop to consider folding. A good hand would probably stop to consider raising, or had been planning to bet himself and now has to come up with a new plan when someone bets in front of them. A draw is just hoping check/call and see the next card.

MSUcougar
05-06-2005, 01:40 PM
If you're in a headsup pot first to act and you check, and the opponent immediately (I mean instantly) bets the pot, he really sucks and is bluffing. Twice recently at $50 tourneys I've had idiots bluff the flop and turn on my Kings full and Queens full by instantly betting the pot on the flop and then instantly pushing the turn after my checks. Both times I was shown complete garbage hands.

It's kinda funny to have the nuts and see your opponent insta-push the turn with A high. /images/graemlins/grin.gif