PDA

View Full Version : National Heads Up Poker Championship

Enigma
05-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Anybody watching this? It is on CNBC. I just happened to catch it. It looks interesting.

freekobe
05-06-2005, 09:12 AM
I think a lot of people are watching it. The show got a great rating on NBC, considering its time slot and minimal advertising. Plus, show 1 is arguably the weakest of the group. It really gets better as it moves along.

Shows 2 and 3 are this weekend: 330PM EST on Saturday and 12:00PM EST on Sunday.

Phillips/Hellmuth on Sunday is must-see TV.

snappo
05-06-2005, 09:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know who is playing on any given episode, and where can I find out? Thanks.

MeanGreenTT
05-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Horrible program....TOO MANY commercials, not nearly enough actual poker hands and too much fluff...thank gawd for DVRs, took all of about 20 minutes to watch the entire show /images/graemlins/smile.gif

freekobe
05-06-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know who is playing on any given episode, and where can I find out? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know because I worked on the show, but you could figure it out too.

Episode 2: completion of Round 1, so all the other Round 1 matches will be aired

Episode 3 (Sun, May 8): Round of 32. Phillips and Hellmuth played that round and it was a featured table.

Episode 4 (Sun, May 15): Round of 16.

Episode 5 (Sat, May 21): Round of 8.

Episode 6 (Sun, May 22): Semis and Finals. Two hour show.

If you know how the brackets went, you can know who will play when.

Hope this is helpful.

burningyen
05-06-2005, 11:01 AM
I disappointed we won't see any of Farha vs. Spirit Rock.

Zygote
05-07-2005, 04:59 PM
what are dvrs?

Nottom
05-07-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what are dvrs?

[/ QUOTE ]

generic Tivo

kurosh
05-07-2005, 07:09 PM
What time is it on tomorrow?

TimTimSalabim
05-08-2005, 03:37 AM
9 a.m. Pacific

-Skeme-
05-08-2005, 04:18 AM
Not enough poker. Too much filler. Of course I still watch it, but that's a moot point. I watch anything with poker in it. Except Hollywood Home Game. I frequently mistake "Roker On The Road" for poker programming. It's a sickness.

Rianna
05-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Sorry against going against the apparent grain. I thoroughly enjoyed the show. I think it's great for poker...

May develop more personalities (that's why I like Phil...always colorful..wish there were more like him WITH his ability)

Wish they had done more on Ivey, but compared to a few years ago (where Sklansky and I played at the same Golden Nugget) the great game of poker has come a very long way...I think it's shows like this that will continue it's popularity. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I can hardly wait til Sunday's show. And then the one next week.

Brophy
05-08-2005, 09:43 AM
Anyone know when a repeat of Episode 2 will be on and what channel? If you can give me a link to where i would find out that would be fine also.

thanks
brophy

stonebluff
05-08-2005, 10:50 AM
I watched it too, but I agree they didn't show enough poker. I was watching Negreaneu take on Jerry Buss (who knew he could play well, he also did well at the WPT invite), and 1 min., Buss the the first hand, and the next he was a huge shortstack. They skip so many hands. Also, did you guys see Antonio Esfandiari beat Howard Lederer. He won an all in about 9 times in a row.

MeanGreenTT
05-08-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what are dvrs?

[/ QUOTE ]

generic Tivo

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually tivo without the monthly charges /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Corey
05-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Best line of Sunday's Show:

(while Negranu looks at AKs) "Daniel is short stacked at the feature table"
All the chips end up in the pot on the flop...and Daniel has Antonio covered. I hate being short stacked heads up with more chips than my opponent!

lighterjobs
05-08-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Best line of Sunday's Show:

(while Negranu looks at AKs) "Daniel is short stacked at the feature table"
All the chips end up in the pot on the flop...and Daniel has Antonio covered. I hate being short stacked heads up with more chips than my opponent!

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that was kind of weird. I thought the best line of the show was when gabe kaplan was making fun of mike sexton when he had eric lindgren all in on a table. or phillips vs. hellmuth is the best matchup.

willie
05-08-2005, 12:49 PM
lovin helmuth vs phillips

bummer paul was catching so many second best hands.....

paul looks like a complete bum, i love it. i don't know how his wife dealt with that beard....it must have been a way for him to avoid preggo sex /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

playing, i love you paul- i'll braid your beard anytime.

GimmeDaWatch
05-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Ok, this is gay wtf? Anyone else in LA having problems getting this show? I set my DVR to record it and its just some lame local news program, even though the guide has the HUPC listed. Maybe it's an LA thing, but its pissing me off. I also looked on CNBC, wasnt there either.

sfcard
05-08-2005, 01:04 PM
I'm in Virginia and I got infomercials for some sit-up bicycle and then real estate investment. "You don't need mony to make money!""I work 5 hours a week and I'm going to make 90 grand this year." It airs again on thursday, right?

Card

shake
05-08-2005, 04:01 PM
i googled the tournament with nbc poker and it sent me to the site... www.headsuppokerchamp.com (http://www.headsuppokerchamp.com)

they are replaying the show #2 on thursday night on CNBC at 8pm and 11pm but then we dont get to see show #3 on CNBC till the next week...

i missed week 1. does anyone know if we can buy DVDs of the entire series?

Russ McGinley
05-08-2005, 04:55 PM
http://www.briansbar.com/Peter9big.jpg

TimTimSalabim
05-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Same thing happened in Las Vegas... my Tivo recorded "Nevada Newsmakers" /images/graemlins/mad.gif.

astarck
05-08-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I frequently mistake "Roker On The Road" for poker programming.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this constantly. Every time I'm extremely disappointed.

fsuplayer
05-09-2005, 01:21 AM
nh

paperchamp
05-09-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I frequently mistake "Roker On The Road" for poker programming.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this constantly. Every time I'm extremely disappointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's very funny that other people have had this same thing happen. It's always late at night when there is absolutely nothing to watch except infomercials. The excitement rushes over you momentarily until you realize you've been duped.

Moovyz
05-09-2005, 01:57 AM
You should be able to buy the series after the last broadcast from NBC.

Week one was not as entertaining as the last 2 except for Doyle, and he lost anyway.

Rianna
05-09-2005, 09:22 AM
If you guys like I'll try and tape the shows. I'm in Reno, Nv. and get the Moxie fron Charter...I can tape it and breeze thru the commercials, watch it whenever I choose to, awesome system they now have.

I think regardless this show will help 'spread the word' about poker. Makes me happy to see a number of aquaintences on the tube...whoever thought poker would get this big. Not me. Sure the coverage could be a lot better but IMHO the main thing is they bit the bullit and did it, created the show. I hope the ratings are good, I heard they are excellent.

I wanna see more, can hardly wait.

Rianna

noggindoc
05-09-2005, 10:44 AM
any thoughts on the hand with Raymer and Leiberman k6o and a5o? especially him calling her all in with king high unimproved?

mindbender79
05-09-2005, 11:25 AM
anyone who knows where i might be able to downloads the shows?

freekobe
05-09-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
any thoughts on the hand with Raymer and Leiberman k6o and a5o? especially him calling her all in with king high unimproved?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is discussed in another thread in this forum. Fossilman replied and explained his reasoning.

vindikation
05-09-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is discussed in another thread in this forum. Fossilman replied and explained his reasoning.

[/ QUOTE ] http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2339237&page=2&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1&vc=1