PDA

View Full Version : Phil Ivey makes a kids dream come true

ZeeGigabot
05-05-2005, 07:55 PM
This is my first post, so please excuse the tardiness of this post, as this occured a few months ago, but I thought it was too funny and neat a story not to post.

I was at a Sacramento Kings game earlier this year when they were playing the Houston Rockets. It's not too uncommon to see celebrities at these games. During a timeout in the 2nd quarter, the P.A. announcer comes on and says, "The Sacramento Kings and the Maloof Family want to welcome NFL All Pro receiver Terrell Owens." And there was Owens up on the big screen and the crowd half cheered and half booed. Then half way through the third quarter, the PA announcer came on again and says "The Sacramento Kings and the Maloof Family want to welcome World Championship Boxer Winky Wright" The crowd gave him a nice golf style round of applause with a few murmurs of "Who is that?" And there was Winky, sitting in the front row next to the Maloofs up on the jumbotron. But sitting next to him, with half his face off of the screen was Phil Ivey. I couldn't believe it. I said to my fiancee, "Look honey, it's Phil Ivey." Of course, she wasn't too impressed.

Anyways, so there they are sitting all together in the front row at half court, the Maloofs, Terrell Owens, Winky Wright and Phil Ivey. Then I see this kid who couldn't be more than 11 years old run down with a program and a pen. He walks right by the Maloofs, doesnt stop for Terrell Owens, and ignores Winky Wright and goes right up to Phil Ivey and asks for his autograph. Phil looked shocked and very humble, gave the kid a smile, shook his hand and gave him an autograph. Who needs an NFL all pro or Boxing World Champion's autograph when you can get one of the world's best poker player's autograph.

Bremen
05-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Am I the only one who finds it disturbing a little kid would want a poker players autograph? I hope this is a troll. Then again maybe the kid knew Owen's would never sign an autograph (heck, he'd probably come back a year later and try to renogotiate the price of the autograph!)

psyduck
05-05-2005, 08:19 PM
This is more disturbing than anything. A gambler is a LITTLE KID's hero...

ZeeGigabot
05-05-2005, 08:31 PM
I wonder who's autograph would fetch more money on Ebay?

1) Winky Wright
2) Terrell Owens
3) Phil Ivey

Russ McGinley
05-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Maybe the kid thought he was P. Diddy or Nelly or somebody.

SossMan
05-05-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or tiger woods

billyjex
05-05-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. A football player of the class of Terrell Owens is so much better for a children's idol.

You're stupid, BTW.

Smoothcall
05-05-2005, 09:13 PM
i think it would be more disturbing to get an autograph from someon like terrel owens. At least phil is nice and humble. Bout time the right guy was asked for the autograph.

Stew
05-05-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on man, if you don't know why I notified the mod, then PM me.

"Moderator(s) notified In a moment you will be automatically returned to the forum."

mts
05-05-2005, 09:41 PM
nt

Beavis68
05-05-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Moderator(s) notified In a moment you will be automatically returned to the forum."

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you are a brain washed hyper sensitive twit?

Stew
[ QUOTE ]
nt

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Russ McGinley
I think I can guess.

http://home.comcast.net/~rodassi/wedgie.jpg

Voltron87
05-05-2005, 09:46 PM
this is so good for my bank account.

ShawnHoo
05-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Do you think you're Al Sharpton or Michael Eric Dyson or somebody?

Stew
05-05-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I think that's a racist statement and it shouldn't be tolerated. But, that's my opinion, it's up to Mat to decide what he thinks, it's his forum to moderate.

PS: I'm not saying the poster is racist.

radek2166
05-05-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who finds it disturbing a little kid would want a poker players autograph? I hope this is a troll. Then again maybe the kid knew Owen's would never sign an autograph (heck, he'd probably come back a year later and try to renogotiate the price of the autograph!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice Call!

J_V
05-05-2005, 10:17 PM
For what? It's entirely plausible he thought it was Tiger Woods.

radek2166
05-05-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you are a brain washed hyper sensitive twit?

[/ QUOTE ]

VNH

radek2166
05-05-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I think that's a racist statement and it shouldn't be tolerated. But, that's my opinion, it's up to Mat to decide what he thinks, it's his forum to moderate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ the PC world we live in.

Bob Moss
05-06-2005, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I hate you.

Bob

judgesmails
05-06-2005, 12:51 AM
I hit golf balls at a range on the strip (Callaway) about once a week. I have seen Ivey there on a few occasions. I have also seen Kirk Triplet, a top 50 PGA Tour golf pro, there once. Nobody noticed Triplet other than me. Ivey usually has 6-8 people watching him and interupting him for handshakes and small talk.

I thought it was interesting that one of the best golfers in the world gets less attention at a golf range than a poker player who is a hack (though it appears Phil's game has improved a lot since his outing that was featured on ESPN). Just another example of how widespread poker interest has become.

GMan42
05-06-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmm-hmm...sure. And the next time someone says I look like Donny Osmond (or whatever) I'll say it's racist, because they're "only saying it because we're both white" or something. Use your brain.

Stew
05-06-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmm-hmm...sure. And the next time someone says I look like Donny Osmond (or whatever) I'll say it's racist, because they're "only saying it because we're both white" or something. Use your brain.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're ignorant.

Stew
05-06-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I hate you.

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, it's totally disconcerting to me that someone clown on an internet forum hates me now...I'm crushed.

Sponger15SB
05-06-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well at least he wasn't making up lies like the holocaust.

JaBlue
05-06-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For what? It's entirely plausible he thought it was Tiger Woods.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, [censored], I mistook Phil Ivey for a Sambo doll...

Gramps
05-06-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well at least he wasn't making up lies like the holocaust.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taken at "Level 1," that's pretty ignorant and insensitive.

Taken at "Level 4," that's a pretty damn funny reply.

blackaces13
05-06-2005, 02:41 AM
So Kirk Triplett is World Class and Ivey is a hack? Triplett has won 2 tournaments in his career against much smaller fields than most poker tournaments. I watch a lot of golf and to call Triplett a journeyman would be kind. Ivey on the other hand seems to be widely regarded as among the top handfull of all around poker players both in tournaments and cash games.

Chairman Wood
05-06-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So Kirk Triplett is World Class and Ivey is a hack? Triplett has won 2 tournaments in his career against much smaller fields than most poker tournaments. I watch a lot of golf and to call Triplett a journeyman would be kind. Ivey on the other hand seems to be widely regarded as among the top handfull of all around poker players both in tournaments and cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jesus, a hack at golf not poker.

judgesmails
05-06-2005, 02:54 AM
Ivey is a great poker player, but an awful golfer and the incident was at a golf course. I think it demonstrates how recognizable poker players are now - more recognizable than golfers. Coincidentally, I saw Vijay Singh walk through the Bellagio poker room last fall when he was ranked #1 in the world and nobody blinked an eye at him.

blackaces13
05-06-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ivey is a great poker player, but an awful golfer and the incident was at a golf course.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see. I misinterpreted what you meant by hack, my bad. Phil's a duffer and a half on the links.

JTrout
05-06-2005, 03:13 AM
warning: nitpicking coming!

[ QUOTE ]
last fall when he was ranked #1 in the world

[/ QUOTE ]

#2.

radek2166
05-06-2005, 04:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Jesus, a hack at golf not poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post of the day

PoBoy321
05-06-2005, 05:18 AM
From a distance, Phil Ivey could certainly be mistaken for P Diddy or Nelly, and easily be mistaken for Tiger Woods.

PoBoy321
05-06-2005, 05:21 AM
OK, so I've read a bunch of the replies and people think it's disturbing that a kid wanted a poker player's autograph.

Why? I mean, he plays a game and he is one of the best in the world. If the kid wanted Gary Kasparov's autograph, would you have a problem with it? I doubt it. So just because Phil Ivey competes for money instead of trophies, that makes it disturbing?

mackthefork
05-06-2005, 05:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, so I've read a bunch of the replies and people think it's disturbing that a kid wanted a poker player's autograph.

Why? I mean, he plays a game and he is one of the best in the world. If the kid wanted Gary Kasparov's autograph, would you have a problem with it? I doubt it. So just because Phil Ivey competes for money instead of trophies, that makes it disturbing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ring wing religious anti-gambling propaganda, gambling will corrupt your soul, see the light brother, let me lay my hands on you, and cleanse the demons, praise be.
/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mack

drewjustdrew
05-06-2005, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you find that statement racist, you have serious issues.

Jeffage
05-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Could you be a little more ridiculously PC?

Jeff

kevstreet
05-06-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lozen
05-06-2005, 11:09 AM
I could see the Tiger Woods mistake.

GuruCane
05-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Get a life. Please.

vginaman
05-06-2005, 11:23 AM
I suppose he should have said Ron Howard? Jackie Chan?

Ridiculous.

I wish they required a license to use the internet so his could be revoked.

Easy E
05-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Why, exactly, Stew? Because I'm not seeing the problem here and I usually pick up on this stuff that needs moderator notification.

italianstang
05-06-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he thought it was P Diddy or Nelly because both of those guys are young and black and have a shaved head most of the time. (Oh crap, did I say it out loud? Black?)

Moovyz
05-06-2005, 01:20 PM
First, the kid MIGHT really have thought it was Tiger. Phil often gets mistaken for Tiger, and he was sitting with 2 other aknowledged sports celebrities. But that certainly wasn't a racist statement to say maybe he thought it was P Diddy or "somebody".

How come no one cried foul when the one poster said "he reminds me of a Sambo doll"? NOW THAT'S RACIST!

drewjustdrew
05-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Most posters here are too young to understand the sambo reference.

Sambo's. Remember that restaurant?

poincaraux
05-06-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Big Brother is now watching you as well. Don't worry; if you've done nothing wrong then you have nothing to hide.

Smoothcall
05-06-2005, 02:14 PM
What is wrong with being a gambler? At least the gambler seems to be a nice guy. You would rather him idolize a person like terrel owens? Yeah that would be good values for him to look up to. To be arrogant, and outrageous. And not care about what your actions may produce. As opposed to ivey who acts like a gentleman by most reports. What is wrong with this picture?

ShawnHoo
05-06-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he thought it was P Diddy or Nelly because both of those guys are young and black and have a shaved head most of the time. (Oh crap, did I say it out loud? Black?)

[/ QUOTE ]

The sad thing is that there are posters here who'd call you a racist for noticing that someone's black (or Asian, or purple, etc.). Even sadder's the fact that nearly all these "enlightened ones" are white.

This place is awesome for poker advice -- let's keep doing that and leave the social commentary out of it.

Smoothcall
05-06-2005, 02:55 PM
i think terrel's would. But the point is who would you want your son to look up to out of that group? I would say Phil ivey, out of him and terrel. As he acts like a gentleman. I dont know who winky boxer guy is so i can't comment on him.

Smoothcall
05-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Actually i thought that was pretty funny. Lighten up, it was a joke. If you couldn't joke about race chris rock would be in alot of trouble.

Smoothcall
05-06-2005, 03:00 PM
so if it was daniel negreanu there instead of ivey. and he said maybe he thought daniel was m&m would that be ok?

mackthefork
05-06-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First, the kid MIGHT really have thought it was Tiger. Phil often gets mistaken for Tiger, and he was sitting with 2 other aknowledged sports celebrities. But that certainly wasn't a racist statement to say maybe he thought it was P Diddy or "somebody".

How come no one cried foul when the one poster said "he reminds me of a Sambo doll"? NOW THAT'S RACIST!

[/ QUOTE ]

a) I never said it was racist

b) I never said it was racist

c) I never said it was racist

People on here are too sensitive and have far too much time.

Mack

freemont
05-06-2005, 03:47 PM
n/m

carpe2k
05-06-2005, 05:13 PM
Jesus plays golf? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Skeme-
05-07-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are such an idiot.

ed8383
05-07-2005, 02:48 AM
this thread is the gayest thing i have ever read

i just lost 10 iq points by reading this nonsense

Shaun
05-07-2005, 05:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you're saying is, it's disturbing that a kid would want the autograph of someone who uses his mind to make millions instead of two other people who's wealth comes from mostly physical abilities...

Shaun
05-07-2005, 05:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most great people took "gambles" of some type in their lives.
I don't mean old ladies sitting at the slots- I mean people like Richard Nixon. Why are you here if you think gambling to be so immoral?

Shaun
05-07-2005, 05:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so if it was daniel negreanu there instead of ivey. and he said maybe he thought daniel was m&m would that be ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Do you see why?