PDA

View Full Version : "Louie Louie" banned for filthy lyrics.

The Stranger
05-05-2005, 07:33 PM
BENTON HARBOR, Mich. - A pop culture controversy that has simmered for decades came to a head when a middle school marching band was told not to perform "Louie Louie."

ADVERTISEMENT

Benton Harbor Superintendent Paula Dawning cited the song's allegedly raunchy lyrics in ordering the McCord Middle School band not to perform it in Saturday's Grand Floral Parade, held as part of the Blossomtime Festival.

In a letter sent home with McCord students, Dawning said "Louie Louie" was not appropriate for Benton Harbor students to play while representing the district — even though the marching band wasn't going to sing it.

Band members and parents complained to the Board of Education at its Tuesday meeting that it was too late to learn another song, The Herald-Palladium of St. Joseph reported.

"It's very stressful for us to try to come up with new songs for the band," eighth-grader Laurice Martin told the board. "We're trying to learn the songs from last year, but some of us weren't in the band last year."

Dawning said that if a majority of parents supports their children playing the song, she will reconsider her decision.

"It was not that I knew at the beginning and said nothing," Dawning said. "I normally count on the staff to make reliable decisions. I found out because a parent called, concerned about the song being played."

"Louie Louie," written by Richard Berry in 1956, is one of the most recorded songs in history. The best-known, most notorious version was a hit in 1963 for the Kingsmen; the FBI spent two years investigating the lyrics before declaring they not only were not obscene but also were "unintelligible at any speed."

full article (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050505/ap_on_fe_st/no_louie_louie_2)

The Stranger
05-05-2005, 07:39 PM
nobody was singing. it was an instrumental version.

private joker
05-05-2005, 08:07 PM
It's funny that the legend of those dirty lyrics has lasted for so long, especially when songwriter Richard Berry has gone on record with the real lyrics:

[ QUOTE ]
"Louie Louie, me gotta go. Louie Louie, me gotta go. A fine little girl, she wait for me. Me catch the ship across the sea. I sailed the ship all alone. I never think I'll make it home. Louie Louie, me gotta go . Three nights and days we sailed the sea. Me think of girl constantly. On the ship, I dream she there. I smell the rose in her hair. Louie Louie, me gotta go. Me see Jamaican moon above. It won't be long me see me love. Me take her in my arms and then I tell her I never leave again. Louie Louie, me gotta go." (By Richard Berry. Copyright 1957-1963 by Limax Music Inc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is more boring and retarded than the filthy ones, so no wonder the school band was castrated because of some old wives' tale.

shadow29
05-05-2005, 08:15 PM
What were the dirty lyrics?

Chairman Wood
05-05-2005, 08:20 PM
Depends who you ask, its one of those songs that when you hear the record the words are impossible to decipher. Thus a lot of people just made them up.

Daliman
05-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Ignorance runs rampant

private joker
05-05-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What were the dirty lyrics?

[/ QUOTE ]

In 1964 the FBI did an investigation and came up with these absurdly profane (but funny) fraudulent lyrics:

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, Louie Louie, oh no
Get her way down low
Oh, Louie Louie, oh baby
Get her down low

A fine little girl a-waiting for me
She's just a girl across the way
We'll take her and park all alone
She's never a girl I lay at home

At night at ten I lay her again
Fu[/i]ck you girl, oh all the way
Oh my bed and I lay her there