PDA

View Full Version : Beatles vs. Led Zeppelin

tbach24
05-05-2005, 07:19 PM
I really love the Beatles, but haven't been exposed to LZ enough. So temporarily I will go with the Beatles

Justin A
05-05-2005, 07:24 PM
It's a tough one, since they're my two favorite bands, but I had to go with Zeppelin for their superior musical ability.

JoshuaD
05-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Zepplin's a glorified hair band. Beatles are classic. Easy choice.

Jonny
05-05-2005, 07:31 PM
I like em both, but I had to go with zeppelin.

anisotropy
05-05-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a tough one, since they're my two favorite bands, but I had to go with Zeppelin for their superior musical ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than Bonzo clearly being better on the drums than Ringo, I don't see how any Zeppelin member is better than any Beatle member in musical ability.

George > Jimmy (guitar)
Paul > John Paul (bass)
John > Robert (vocals)

Don't even get started on songwriting ability. This one should be a slam dunk for the Beatles.

kerssens
05-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Can't remember where I heard this but someone told a story about when the Beatles met Muhammad Ali. They talked for awhile and after they left Ali turned to the interviewer (Cosell??) and asked.."who were those fags?"

istewart
05-05-2005, 07:46 PM
My two favorite bands. The Beatles in a walk, however.

But to the guy above, saying Harrison is a better guitarist than Page is ludicrous.

Blarg
05-05-2005, 07:52 PM
Sounds a little apocryphal.

As to the songwriting, I'd have to agree that Zeppelin isn't anywhere near as good as the Beatles. Page's guitar is probably one of the more influential things in modern music, though.

jesusarenque
05-05-2005, 08:07 PM
The Rolling Stones>The Beatles>Zep

Easy

Justin A
05-05-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than Bonzo clearly being better on the drums than Ringo, I don't see how any Zeppelin member is better than any Beatle member in musical ability.

George > Jimmy (guitar)
Paul > John Paul (bass)
John > Robert (vocals)

Don't even get started on songwriting ability. This one should be a slam dunk for the Beatles.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding right? George was a run of the mill guitarist, and Jimmy was one of the greatest. John Paul Jones was a much better bassist and pianist than McCartney(sp?). Robert Plant was a more talented vocalist by far. You might actually have somewhat of an argument if you include the small period where Eric Clapton played with the Beatles.

The Beatles do have the edge in songwriting.

augie00
05-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Beatles and it's not even close. What kind of a poll is this? Christ.

tbach24
05-05-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the type where you either click the button next to one of the contestants or the other. No wonder your roomate is getting to play strip mario kart with hot girls while you have to use your sex chair /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Justin A
05-05-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

An OPINION poll.

istewart
05-05-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

George > Jimmy (guitar)
Paul > John Paul (bass)
John > Robert (vocals)

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding right? George was a run of the mill guitarist, and Jimmy was one of the greatest. John Paul Jones was a much better bassist and pianist than McCartney(sp?). Robert Plant was a more talented vocalist by far. You might actually have somewhat of an argument if you include the small period where Eric Clapton played with the Beatles.

[/ QUOTE ]

John Paul Jones was not a better bassist than McCartney. Not even close. McCartney was a much, much better musician in general as well.

Plant vs. Lennon is close but that's JMO. They aren't really comparable as the music is so different.

miajag81
05-05-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Zepplin's a glorified hair band.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?

istewart
05-05-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed... WTF

Justin A
05-05-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

John Paul Jones was not a better bassist than McCartney. Not even close. McCartney was a much, much better musician in general as well.

Plant vs. Lennon is close but that's JMO. They aren't really comparable as the music is so different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can agree with you about JPJ vs. McCartney being close. Plant vs. Lennon is close simply because Lennon has a more enjoyable voice IMO. However, when it comes to vocal range and such, Plant is more talented.

zephed56
05-05-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
*** You are now ignoring this user. You will no longer see the body of any of their posts. ***

istewart
05-05-2005, 09:14 PM
I love zephead.

augie00
05-05-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

An OPINION poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can it be an opinion poll if there is one correct answer? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Soul Daddy
05-05-2005, 09:39 PM
This poll isn't fair to Zeppelin. No one can measure up to The Beatles, they're the prototype.

Dead
05-05-2005, 09:41 PM
I doubt you've been exposed to the Beatles enough either.

Beatles are more pop, and LZ is classic rock. I like them both.

swede123
05-05-2005, 10:11 PM
I like Zep as much as the next guy, but come on now. Beatles is THE band by which all others are measured.

It's kinda like comparing whomever to Michael Jordan/Wayne Gretzky. You can argue until you're blue in the face, but in the end there answer is still the same.

Swede

purnell
05-05-2005, 10:22 PM
Beatles. Not close. I'll let others elaborate.

dibbs
05-05-2005, 10:22 PM
I'll probably be the only one in here that says zep. They are incredibly different styles of music though.

gorie
05-05-2005, 10:24 PM
i've heard of led zeppelin, but who are the beatles?

tbach24
05-05-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This poll isn't fair to Zeppelin. No one can measure up to The Beatles, they're the prototype.

[/ QUOTE ]

TBT, this is actually the best band ever final. I think that this title gave it more hype though.

Soul Daddy
05-05-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TBT, this is actually the best band ever final. I think that this title gave it more hype though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, well done. I have avoided those threads and yet you duped me in for the finale.

thatpfunk
05-05-2005, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I actually like LZ more and I know listen to them more, but...

The Beatles influence + the amazing range of music they created gives it to them.

tbach24
05-05-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt you've been exposed to the Beatles enough either.

Beatles are more pop, and LZ is classic rock. I like them both.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm listening to One as we speak /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Phoenix1010
05-05-2005, 10:48 PM
This is Zeppelin all the way... I've never understood this love affair with the Beatles. They made some great pop songs, had two great song writers, but calling them the prototype is pretty ridiculous.

Soul Daddy
05-05-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They made some great pop songs, had two great song writers, but calling them the prototype is pretty ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it's not. Have you actually listened to them, beyond the "yeah yeah yeah" songs? Not being smart, okay maybe a little, it's just hard for me to believe that anyone who has could think they just "made some great pop songs." They introduced a myriad of musical styles to the biggest audience ever, making the success of bands like Zeppelin possible.

CardSharpCook
05-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Zeppelin. And it not even close.

CSC

tpir90036
05-05-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a tough one, since they're my two favorite bands, but I had to go with Zeppelin.

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too... I left out the part about musical ability because I don't feel like arguing that point between these two groups.

JoshuaD
05-05-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like they're music, but they were a precursor to all the 80's hairbands.

JoshuaD
05-05-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is Zeppelin all the way... I've never understood this love affair with the Beatles. They made some great pop songs, had two great song writers, but calling them the prototype is pretty ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give all they're albums a listen, they are way more than "pop".

Soul Daddy
05-05-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not their fault. Don't let Winger ruin LZ's legacy in your mind.

miajag81
05-06-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Beatles were a precursor to the Monkees. What's your point?

7ontheline
05-06-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Rolling Stones>The Beatles>Zep

Easy

[/ QUOTE ]

I like both the Beatles and Zeppelin. I think I would take the Beatles by a hair. And the above quote is one of the most ignorant things I have ever read in all of OOT. ALL OF OOT, I SAY!

augie00
05-06-2005, 01:59 AM
This whole thread is dumb. How can you even compare The Beatles to Led Zeppelin? The Beatles are responsible for a lot of the music that we listen to today. Anyone who answers Zeppelin simply doesn't know enough about The Beatles.

edit: that is assuming of course, that this thread is "which is the better band" rather than "which is your favorite band"

Cyrus
05-06-2005, 03:05 AM
No one who wasn't a musician already (or deeply knowledgeable of music) could truly hear what the damn dork was playing on the bass yet we could be arguing about who's the best bass player until morning!

Face it, all those Best (Instrument player) polls are nothing but about who's the most popular or most revered at the time. The best polls are those among the musicians themselves. They know what they are talking about.

BTW, here's my deal:

Guitarist: Page over Harrison (come on!)
Guitarist: Lennon - by default!
Bassist: Macca over Jones, and it's not even close.
Drummer: I don't mind having Bozo over Starr, but let it be known that Mr Starkey was a vastly underrated drummer! (Check him out, for instance, in "I Saw Her Standing There" which is restrained yet pure, pure testosterone drumming.)

Overall output in music: Fab over Zep, and it's not even close.

jokerthief
05-06-2005, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

You're kidding right? George was a run of the mill guitarist

[/ QUOTE ]

Are YOU kidding. George Harrison REVOLUTIONIZED popular music with his progressions. Typical Beatles chord progression would go something like: C, Cmaj7, C7, F, D, G, Am, G#dim7, Am7. That is why the Beatles beacame a huge sensation, their music was something the public had never heard before. There is no band since them that has changed music as significantly. The Beatles broke the paradigm for bands like Zeppelin.

BTW, anyone who says that Page is one of the greatest guitarists of all time either--1. can't play guitar, or 2. sucks at guitar.

Phoenix1010
05-06-2005, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This whole thread is dumb. How can you even compare The Beatles to Led Zeppelin? The Beatles are responsible for a lot of the music that we listen to today. Anyone who answers Zeppelin simply doesn't know enough about The Beatles.

edit: that is assuming of course, that this thread is "which is the better band" rather than "which is your favorite band"

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah. This thread is not about which band is more influential. You win that just by being older. It's about who is better. Stick to the question.

maldini
05-06-2005, 03:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this from a college kid, hilarious.

led zepplin has been much more influential. not that that matters at all. name the band(s) that sounded like LZ before LZ. cant do it? all heavy metal/hair bands after sound something like LZ.

beatles are solid. i give them that. but, the rolling stones are more comparable (and better music). the beatles are pop. LZ are the godfathers to everything from motley crue to coldplay. beatles are godfathers to pop rock.

nuf said

Jeff W
05-06-2005, 03:39 AM
Led Zeppelin is sorely outclassed--and I like Led Zeppelin.

OrangeCat
05-06-2005, 03:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Clapton only played on one Beatles song "While My Guitar Gently Weaps." Page played lots of sloppy notes in his solos but George had taste and style. George never really got his due because he was in a band with the two the the greatest of that era. Page was great at coming up with heavy riffs that made the best Zep songs. I love 'em both but to call Georg run of the mill is not right.

YourFoxyGrandma
05-06-2005, 03:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the beatles are pop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously haven't heard about half of their music.

ChoicestHops
05-06-2005, 03:50 AM
Led Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands. As good as the Beatles were and the standard that they set for music, I still gotta go with Zeppelin.

zephed56
05-06-2005, 06:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You're kidding right? George was a run of the mill guitarist

[/ QUOTE ]

Are YOU kidding. George Harrison REVOLUTIONIZED popular music with his progressions. Typical Beatles chord progression would go something like: C, Cmaj7, C7, F, D, G, Am, G#dim7, Am7. That is why the Beatles beacame a huge sensation, their music was something the public had never heard before. There is no band since them that has changed music as significantly. The Beatles broke the paradigm for bands like Zeppelin.

BTW, anyone who says that Page is one of the greatest guitarists of all time either--1. can't play guitar, or 2. sucks at guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]
He is definitely NOT the best in terms of technical ability, I don't think anyone is implying that. He is a great rock n roll composer.

Technical ability doesn't really mean much anyways (Yngwie, for example), as long as you are competent. He is certainly more than competent.

cursedkings
05-06-2005, 06:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this is my frist post here.. but I just gotta say, you are a clown. Led Zeppelin owns you. The Beatles are good and all, but Led Zeppelin is just flat out amazing.

zephed56
05-06-2005, 07:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

George > Jimmy (guitar)
Paul > John Paul (bass)
John > Robert (vocals)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Evidence in favor of JPJ:
-Ramble On
-Lemon Song (great blues playing)
-Good Times, Bad Times
-Immigrant Song
-Black Dog (He wrote the riff)
-The Song Remains the Same
-Achilles Last Stand

I will say that Lennon/McCartney wrote better lyrics. I don't think it's as important as the musical songwriting.

JackWilson
05-06-2005, 07:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the beatles are pop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously haven't heard about half of their music.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other half was about drugs.

But then, those were some of the best songs ever.

zephed56
05-06-2005, 07:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No one who wasn't a musician already (or deeply knowledgeable of music) could truly hear what the damn dork was playing on the bass yet we could be arguing about who's the best bass player until morning!

Face it, all those Best (Instrument player) polls are nothing but about who's the most popular or most revered at the time. The best polls are those among the musicians themselves. They know what they are talking about.

BTW, here's my deal:

Guitarist: Page over Harrison (come on!)
Guitarist: Lennon - by default!
Bassist: Macca over Jones, and it's not even close.
Drummer: I don't mind having Bozo over Starr, but let it be known that Mr Starkey was a vastly underrated drummer! (Check him out, for instance, in "I Saw Her Standing There" which is restrained yet pure, pure testosterone drumming.)

Overall output in music: Fab over Zep, and it's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not even close. Bonzo. Listen to When the Levee Breaks or In My Time of Dying.

Rushmore
05-06-2005, 08:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But to the guy above, saying Harrison is a better guitarist than Page is ludicrous.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Dude
05-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Definately Led Zepplin.

Cyrus
05-06-2005, 10:50 AM
This is not even close. Bonzo.

And what did I say different?

But too many people dismiss Starr's drumming.

Listen to "When the Levee Breaks".

A long time ago, I taped the old blues version with Memphis Minnie first and right as the last whining guitar chord is struck, I edited in the Zep number with Bonham's thunder intro. DJ was floored.

BottlesOf
05-06-2005, 11:06 AM
Zep, not close

augie00
05-06-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this from a college kid, hilarious

[/ QUOTE ]

What? What does that have to do with anything? Do a search sometime for "The Beatles Memorabilia Price Guide." My dad wrote those; all three. And he's working on the fourth right now.

Just because I'm in college doesn't mean I don't know anything about music.

[ QUOTE ]
led zepplin has been much more influential. not that that matters at all. name the band(s) that sounded like LZ before LZ. cant do it? all heavy metal/hair bands after sound something like LZ.

beatles are solid. i give them that. but, the rolling stones are more comparable (and better music). the beatles are pop. LZ are the godfathers to everything from motley crue to coldplay. beatles are godfathers to pop rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but in the words of Colonel Potter, "HORSE HOCKEY!!" I would give you a triple bogey, but that rating system is reserved soley for joke posts. Although this might be considered a joke.

asofel
05-06-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

100 best (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/5937559?rnd=1115393195949&has-player=true&version=6.0.12.1040)

the list is obviously flawed (i love nirvana, but kurt at 12??) but saying that Page isn't ONE of the best is flat out idiocy. He's not the best, he played sloppy at times, but give the guy the credit he's due.

PokerNoob
05-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Coldplay owes a helluva lot more to the Beatles than to Zep. Zep is derivative blues, with a splash of JRR Tolkien and theatrics. Yes, it did spawn a genre. The Beatles went from bubblegum pop idols to revolutionizing music. Its as if the Backstreet Boys became... well there is nothing that really revolutionizes music any more that I can think of. Songwriting, instrumentation and recording technique of pop music all greatly changed with the Rubber Soul - Sgt Pepper's era.

Oski
05-06-2005, 12:20 PM
The Beatles were not the same once Clarence left the band.

Beatles with Clarence were the best band in history;

Without Clarence, the Beatles were the second best band in history.

wayabvpar
05-06-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Beatles were not the same once Clarence left the band.

Beatles with Clarence were the best band in history;

Without Clarence, the Beatles were the second best band in history.

[/ QUOTE ]

She's got a ticket to ride and the bitch don't care!

zephed56
05-06-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is not even close. Bonzo.

And what did I say different?

But too many people dismiss Starr's drumming.

Listen to "When the Levee Breaks".

A long time ago, I taped the old blues version with Memphis Minnie first and right as the last whining guitar chord is struck, I edited in the Zep number with Bonham's thunder intro. DJ was floored.

[/ QUOTE ]
Eh, I thought you were saying Ringo was better, my bad.

jokerthief
05-06-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

100 best (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/5937559?rnd=1115393195949&has-player=true&version=6.0.12.1040)

the list is obviously flawed (i love nirvana, but kurt at 12??) but saying that Page isn't ONE of the best is flat out idiocy. He's not the best, he played sloppy at times, but give the guy the credit he's due.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, which one are you--a non guitarist, or a bad guitarist?

istewart
05-06-2005, 07:13 PM
There's a reason Led Zeppelin is the best hard rock band ever. That reason is Jimmy Page. The fact that he doesn't play like Steve Vai is irrelevant; the sound is better, the riffs are better.

He's also cooler.