PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for a 6 max newb?

benkath1
05-05-2005, 07:14 PM
I just started playing at UB and they have 6 max at lower limits. Being how that is all the rage and the 'most fun', can anybody give me a few pointers? I hate to brag and I know it isn't this easy, but the first time I sit down at a .5/1 6 max table I won 100bb in about an hour and a half. I have heard the variance is high, and I'm sure that's what it is, but what other things should I know?

Does being short handed make more cards playable? Do you still pay as much attention to suitedness, or are offsuit connectors playable? Do you ever draw, or do you need to be VERY knowledgeable at implied odds?
Wrong forum? Would the same post go over better in HUSH?

Thanks in advance.

Ben

milesdyson
05-05-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does being short handed make more cards playable?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. I suggest reading the recent article in the 2+2 magazine as to why they are more playable, but it has to do with how much more in blinds you pay at shorthanded tables.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you still pay as much attention to suitedness, or are offsuit connectors playable?

[/ QUOTE ]
You always pay attention to it, but it does matter less in blind steal/defense situations. IE if you're the SB with ATo and an aggressive player on the button raises, you really couldn't care less that your hand isn't suited. Same goes for being the blind stealer. Does A6s play that much better heads up than A6o? Not really. I am also a lot looser from the SB with offsuit connectors like 98o and T9o, IF I know the BB is very passive preflop and there are players who have limped in from whom I will be able to win very large pots.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you ever draw, or do you need to be VERY knowledgeable at implied odds?

[/ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, implied odds are much more important shorthanded than they are at full tables, because I feel like you can be more accurate accounting for them. Say you're the SB and you flop a gutshot. You will, in general, be much more successful check raising from early position and the players being check raised are much more likely to call you down with losing hands.

[ QUOTE ]
Wrong forum? Would the same post go over better in HUSH?

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably...

benkath1
05-05-2005, 07:25 PM
So is there a way to seperate 6 max hands from full ring hands in poker tracker? I'm sure it messes with your stats, right?

Oh and thanks for the response.
I enjoy your posts.

milesdyson
05-05-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So is there a way to seperate 6 max hands from full ring hands in poker tracker? I'm sure it messes with your stats, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Download the most recent patch/version, and in your preference tab select only 1/2 (6 max) games. You may have to purge the existing 6 max sessions and reimport them, because PT was including more positions than are possible in 6 max games. Do a search at the PT forums about "Extra positions" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

ArturiusX
05-05-2005, 08:06 PM
6max is fast and furious.

It takes A LOT of hands to get a feel for it. I'm talking 30000+.

You need to see a showdown a lot once you've seen a flop. You need to work out your opponents hands backward from how they play.

Reads are twice as important as they are in regular full ring.

benkath1
05-05-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in your preference tab select only 1/2 (6 max) games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a 6 max section. At least I don't see it. I am playing .5/1 at ultimate, so maybe it doesn't show up with their wierd import system.

Isura
05-05-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Oh and thanks for the response.
I enjoy your posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I have this problem with Crypto 6 max. These hands get lumped in with full ring there, and I don't think there is much you can do about it at the moment.

benkath1
05-05-2005, 08:29 PM
This works too:
Utilities => Database Maintanence and Options, then clicking on 6 max will convert them.