PDA

View Full Version : Thai Food High In Calories?

Jeffage
05-05-2005, 06:24 PM
Is thai food high in calories? Just curious...I really want some tonight, but am on this hardcore diet (that is working so far). Anything I can get that is good, but won't be like 1000 calories or something? I'm a fan of drunken noodle, duck curry, all that. Spicy is fine. Recommendations?

Jeff

BreakfastBurrito
05-05-2005, 06:42 PM
curries will be high in calories. it is healthy to "feast" at least once a week though. Just fit it into the schedule and go nuts.

cookie
05-05-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
curries will be high in calories. it is healthy to "feast" at least once a week though. Just fit it into the schedule and go nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its not needed before his bodyfatmass reaches somewhere below 10 %

Jeffage
05-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Yea I've lost about 25-30 pounds (I was about 235 or 240 before the diet). I'm sticking to a 1300 or so calorie per day thing now and I'm just wondering if there is any thai food (doesnt have to be curry...could be pad thai, etc) that will be 500 (approx) cals or so. Maybe something with scallops or other seafood.

Jeff

Jeffage
05-05-2005, 07:32 PM
For those interested...

Q: What are some healthier bets for Thai food?
A:
Appetizers: Basil rolls or Thai rolls (not fried), Satay (go light on peanut sauce, request lower fat tamarind sauce), Steamed mussels

Soups: Tom Yum Goong, Talay Thong, Crystal Noodle

Salads: Green papaya salad, Thai beef salad, Bean Thread Noodle salad, Yum Yai salad

Entrees: Dishes with lots of vegetables combined with lean protein foods - chicken, shrimp, scallops, and tofu (not fried) - Order prepared with basal, chili, or ginger dishes

Rice/Noodles: Steamed white rice, Pad Thai or Vegetarian Pad Thai (eat sparingly)

http://www.hopewarshaw.com/faqs/ethnichealthy.htm#Thai

iNsChris
05-05-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea I've lost about 25-30 pounds (I was about 235 or 240 before the diet). I'm sticking to a 1300 or so calorie per day thing now and I'm just wondering if there is any thai food (doesnt have to be curry...could be pad thai, etc) that will be 500 (approx) cals or so. Maybe something with scallops or other seafood.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

1300!?!?!?!?!

Are you crazy?
Can you state your height, Daily activity, Cardio/Weights your doing? protein per day and how often you eat?

1300 is screaming to me MUSCLE LOSS WITH SOME FAT.

Your body may(Prob has) thought your starving it, The natural response it to lower your metabolism. It does this buy removing muscle.

I really dont recommend 1300... Try 1800 and see how it goes.

Depends on your stats etc

Jeffage
05-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Hmmm well. I'm not really exercising (I know this is dumb, but I'm working on it). I'm 5'11. Protein...I don't really know. Here's what I eat now:

Breakfast: Coffee. A Granola Bar (approx 150 calories) or fruit (usually the former).

Lunch: It varies, but my general rule has been...no cheese, no mayo (mustard instead), no fried items, limited bread, always try to eat healthy. Generally I'd say my lunches are in the 500 calorie range (I try not to eat big portions). I know this because I usually eat at chain type places and research nutritional content (yea, a little obsessive). Also note that I never drink anything besides WATER.

Dinner: Varies. Usually in the 500-700 calorie range (turkey burgers, lighter soups, small portions of pasta, chicken, seafood, etc).

This may sound extreme, but I've basically been putting 10 lbs a year on since my junior year of highschool. I'm in my mid 20's now and trying to get healthy again. I know I have to exercise, so I'm working on it. But...I'm NOT starving myself, just eating smaller portions and much healthier food than I used to eat.

Weekends: Sometimes I eat slightly worse on weekends, but never a major departure (ex. I would never order something like Fettucini Alfredo).

Jeff

astroglide
05-05-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1300 is screaming to me MUSCLE LOSS WITH SOME FAT

[/ QUOTE ]

MUSCLE LOSS is screaming to me FAT NON-WEIGHTLIFTERS DON'T HAVE ENOUGH OF A REASON TO GIVE A [censored]. yes this also counts increased metabolism. if they want muscles they can get them later. if somebody is trying to drop more than 50 pounds and wants to do it in short order, i say good for them do whatever.

Elecman
05-05-2005, 09:02 PM
I was pretty certain this thread was going to be some link to a story where some thai restaurant employee got caught wanking in the food. I'm still not as sick as some of you [censored] though.

iNsChris
05-06-2005, 07:19 AM
astroglide - Um, Loosing muscle means lower metabolism. So when he goes back to his old habbits or even eating "normally" he may be eating more than he burns. Therefore he will regain the fat he lost. So muscle loss is generally bad, even if your not a bodybuilder.

Thing is, if you get a good weights routine, Do some cardio you can still loose 2- 3lbs (I know, Im achieving this myself right now - no miricles). But MAINTAIN (maybe even get more) muscle mass.

So after you've lost 100lbs or whatever you aim may be, You have higher metabolism, Reduced chance of regaining weight (Even if you eat bit more - Due to burning more, Unless extreme binge); Not to mention you look better and cardio is great for Cardiovascular system.

To loose weight without a weight routine or cardio with such a low calorie limit is just lowering your metabolism, Wouldnt be suprised if fat loss came to a halt all together.

Why? We were once cavemen, We hunted for ourfood and could maybe go weeks without any (or very limited). Reason we suvived is because of "Starvation mode", our metabolism is lowered so our fat supplys are used slower and we can suvive longer periods with lack of food.

Something to think about mate, I've PM'ed you a link and IMO it would be one of the best decisions you can make by signing up and taking on board the advice given by experienced people (Not to mention some dieticians).

Good luck.
Muscle loss is never a good thing.

astroglide
05-06-2005, 07:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Um, Loosing muscle means lower metabolism.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow! i suppose if i knew that, i would have mentioned it in my original post! oh, wait i did!

every time there's a discussion about weight loss some lifter ass clown has to pipe up about metabolism and muscle. people with reasonable muscle mass still don't sit around burning hundreds of calories per hour. the effect is grossly overstated, but you and everybody else misses the OBVIOUS point: a fat person's goal is to not be fat. it's quite an achievement for a fat person to lose weight, because it involves changing everything that got them to that point.

let's say you wanted to learn the piano and bought a keyboard. started noodling around by ear, maybe looked at some web sites. what if a pianist were to pipe up like typical pride-lifters do? YOU ARE DAMAGING YOURSELF BY LEARNING IMPROPER METHODS! YOUR FORM WILL BE BAD. YOU SHOULDN'T BE USING A KEYBOARD WITH THAT LEVEL OF TACTILITY. GO BUY A DECENT PIANO, THEN START TAKING LESSONS 3 DAYS PER WEEK. COMMIT YOUR LIFE TO THIS OR YOU ARE GOING TO SUCK AT PIANO. i say [censored] good for them. if they enjoy playing they will figure out whatever they need to figure out if the time arises in the future. they're further along by playing at all than somebody who hits it with all barrels blazing (if they manage to start at all) and promptly quits.

it's [censored] R E T A R D E D to expect somebody to not only pull off the "pls don't eat so much [censored]" feat, but also spend money and commit scheduled blocks of time to actively do something. you realize crap like this is why many people stop trying to lose weight right? they try to change everything in every direction all at once, stay gung ho on it for like 2 weeks and then they can't sustain it because it's such a violent change of lifestyle. the progression that's going to work for most people will be to go from "doing bad thing" to "not doing bad thing" to "doing good thing".

if somebody loses a non-trivial amount of weight they will pick up the necessary awareness of how to keep it off or how to change their lifestyle incrementally. if a dude goes from eating tons to not eating tons, loses a shitload of weight, and then begins to put it back on they can consider their diet and also consider working out. at that point, working out will not be nearly as sigifigant of a jolt to their lifestyle (eating healthy is now a common occurance).

he should be given a medal for losing 30 pounds. most people don't do it.

iNsChris
05-06-2005, 08:52 AM
Have i said at any point loosing weight is a bad thing ? No.

Your piano example is crap.

I've lost over 46lbs, So dont preach to me. I've also gained muscle and strength whilst loosing this fat.

If he puts a 45MINUTE WOW less than 2.5hrs a week he can gain strength and possibly keep(maybe even increase muscle mass).

Its up to him what he chooses to do, For you to come into this thread and get on your high horse is retarded. Thats about the only thing that is.

Fact is, If his metabolism drops very low and he loses 40lbs or even 100lbs whose to say that weight isnt over 50% muscle?

So get off your high horse, And keep your insecuritys to yourself.

Im offering free friendly advice, Ive pmed him - I dont give a crap what you have to say.

Jeffage
05-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Got your pm...I'll look into it. Thanks for your help /images/graemlins/laugh.gif. That being said, my ultimate goal is to get back to my high school weight (which would be I guess 170, 175). My top weight was like 240, and I'm at about 210 now. My ultimate fear is going off the diet a bit and gaining it all back...I've done this boom and bust cycle before. But, I feel like I'm hardcore into it this time. I just could see myself slowly inching up to 300 over the next decade and dropping dead...hardcore negative EV. That's what motivated me to do this in the first place. The thing I have trouble with concerning exercise is...I've basically been sedentary my whole life. So I don't know what to do beyond running, etc. And then I push myself too hard and quit. So I'm trying to wean myself back into some physical activity beyond making it 80 on the turn. What type of exercises would you recommend (I'm guessing cardio like the elyptical, but what kind of weight stuff).

Thanks,
Jeff

jcx
05-06-2005, 11:03 AM
I saw precious few fat people in Thailand. Maybe you should eat nothing but Thai food. They may be on to something.

FatMan
05-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Physical activity doesn't have to be killing yourself. I have lost 80 lbs over the past year on 1800-2000 calories a day and walking 30 minutes 5-7 days a week. 1300 is way too low. You should probably be aroun 1500-1800 and add 30 minute walks. I still go out to eat and yes I eat high calorie foods some times, but the key is only do it once or twice a month. If you have no willpower and will continue to binge on the high cal food then you need to avoid it all together.

iNsChris
05-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Jeffage - Depends really.

HIT Cardio is best for fat loss, Steady paced cardio (I.e. half hour jog etc - Is good but not the best).

Do you suffer with asthma? I recommend you sign up to the link i gave you and get posting mate.

Weights routine shouldnt be a problem for you, I was a very lazy person before this and weights is 45 minutes twice a week for me.

It would be best if you go to the beginner section of the sites i gave you and read the FAQ or post a new topic for yourself.

As said in PM, Ill help you out and make sure we get you a nice routine etc that you can stick to.

Hopefully you dont quit mate, Remember your goals... YOU WANT TO BE SLIM AGAIN! you've worked hard, DONT LET IT GO TO WASTE.

PM me your username once signed up and link to a topic you posted and we'll go from there.

Weights routine is easy mate, You lift the weights say 5 times.. have a break, Repeat this few times depending on the rep ranges your doing. If you hit all your target reps, you add weight and repeat this process.

You burn calories whilst doing this, Pormote muscle growth, Get stronger.

Setting your self targets to beat is also quite motivating.

Good luck,

astroglide
05-06-2005, 02:59 PM
i'm not against working out, i'm against advocating blitzkrieg lifestyle changes because they're much more likely to burn out or quit if they jump straight into it.

iNsChris
05-06-2005, 07:48 PM
of course, i agree.

But weight routin ebarely taking 2hours per week (one im currently doing) isnt to much, Specially if it retains(even builds) muscle and increases strength.

astroglide
05-07-2005, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But weight routin ebarely taking 2hours per week (one im currently doing) isnt to much

[/ QUOTE ]

going from a sedentary lifestyle with no exercise to 2 hours per week of lifting is a GIGANTIC jump