PDA

View Full Version : Not Smoking: Day 1

BusterStacks
05-05-2005, 04:22 PM
Ok, so I have been smoking a pack per day for the past 8 years or so. During this time I have tried to quit and made it several days one time. To say I am heavily addicted to cigarettes is an understatement. Anyway, I bought some nicorette gum and informed my family that today was the first day I would go smoke free. So far it sucks. Symptoms include:

-inability to concentrate
-cold flashes
-tightening of the chest
-irritability
-fatigue

The point of this post is so that I can feel some responsiblity to stick with this. I dunno, it sure sucks. Take care.

rmarotti
05-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Try P.O.T.

GrekeHaus
05-05-2005, 04:24 PM
Good luck man. We're pulling for you.

zokbarjazz
05-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Congrats and good luck

jakethebake
05-05-2005, 04:27 PM
Based on your avatar, I'd like to suggest you stop smoking pole as well. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://www.unb.ca/safespaces/images/triangle.gif

edit: nevermind. one thing at a time.

razor
good luck!

Skipbidder
Good luck.

Do you have plans for the saved money? Some people seem to do better with their quitting attempt if they think of what the money could otherwise buy.

BusterStacks
[ QUOTE ]
Based on your avatar, I'd like to suggest you stop smoking pole as well. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing at a time, alright? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Living, Learning, Laughing

-BusterStacks

NLSoldier
[ QUOTE ]
Try P.O.T.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen a more appropriate location.

adamstewart
05-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Stick with it.

Smoking is absolutely horrible for one's health. There aren't many diseases that I can think of that aren't potentially caused/aggrevated/induced by smoking.

If you need further help, I'm sure there's tonnes of help on the internet. Further, you could always speak with your doctor.

In the end, you'll thank yourself, and probably feel a hell of lot better. It won't be easy, though.

Adam

Aukai
05-05-2005, 04:28 PM
I've heard from quite a few ex-smoker friends that they find the patch works better than the gum, FWIW, especially for pack-a-day smokers.

Good luck, and good call.

fluxrad
05-05-2005, 04:29 PM
One word: Nicoderm.

I've been smoke free since January 1. Wouldn't have been able to do it without the patch.

Either way. Good luck. If you can make it a couple of weeks, the hard [censored] will be far behind you. Also, check out "quitnet" it has some cool tools and advice.

Oh [censored]...also, do this:

Write down why you're quitting. Make it several reasons.

Write down how much money you'll have saved from not-smoking in 1 month.

Write down what you'll buy with that money (make it *anything you want*).

Post it on your dresser or bathroom mirror. Some place you can see it every day.

PM me if you need any more help or advice.

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]

-BusterStacks

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the timing of your post and my edit...lol.

Asufiji2004
I smoked a pack and a half for 6 years, I decided one day to stop cold turkey cause it's an expensive habit and I don't want to die. It was easy, I crave it every once in a while, but i've never given in. It's been over a year now. So, buck up nancy boy it's easy if you want it to be. If you really don't wanna quit you'll find an excuse to smoke again.

The Goober
05-05-2005, 04:42 PM
I've had better luck with the lozenges (Commit) than the gum. I'm not normally a gum chewer, and I never chewed the gum enough to get the nicotine out. Might be worth a shot.

SmileyEH
05-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Good luck man.

-SmileyEH

xadrez
05-05-2005, 04:51 PM
It sucks big time but you can do it. Its been 2 1/2 months for me and I feel your pain.

I used the patch and would recommend it highly to anyone who wants to quit, but if you can get through w/o it more power to you.

Good luck and stay strong...

BusterStacks
05-05-2005, 04:56 PM
I also have the patch but that thing itches like hell for the first hour you have it on. I like the gum honestly because the delivery is more acute, like a cigarette.

ChoicestHops
05-05-2005, 05:01 PM
It's really hard, Buster. May I suggest you quit the gum and go on the patch. With the gum, you are satisfying you cravings somewhat, but you not completely breaking the habit.

With the patch, you trying to have a constant amount of nicotine going through your body where you dont withdraw as much. You arent popping in some gum whenever you feel the urge, which can make the gum a habit as well. When you are on the gum, you can pop one in whenever you dont feel alright, yet with the patch you trying to keep a constant level of nicotine every hour when it puts more into your bloodstream.

Nevertheless, I tried to quit, but I couldnt. I work a crappy job where I get rushed and pissed every day and there's no way in hell I can do it right now.

I did eat alot more when I tried to quit, ice cream was my best friend. If I ate alot of sugar, the withdrawal symptoms would be greatly reduced. As for the pot suggestion, that's a bad idea for me anyway. I love to chain smoke when I lose sobriety in any shape or form.

ChoicestHops
05-05-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the gum honestly because the delivery is more acute, like a cigarette

[/ QUOTE ]

You dont need that if you are really trying to quit. With the patch you are slowly reducing your levles of nicotine. For a month you'll get 20mg a day, then for the next month or two weeks you can knock it down to 10mg, and so on.

BusterStacks
05-05-2005, 05:04 PM
I'm trying to not inhale carcinogenic smoke using any means necessary. I'll take whatever works for now.

YourFoxyGrandma
05-05-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I smoked a pack and a half for 6 years

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really not that much over 6 years. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

EDIT: Good luck, man. You won't regret it.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
05-05-2005, 05:22 PM
traitor.

kerssens
05-05-2005, 05:25 PM
As a non-smoker, I don't see why its difficult to quit. Of course I have no idea and thus am adding nothing to this thread.

BusterStacks
05-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Try quitting food for a few days, that should give you an idea of what it feels like.

daryn
05-05-2005, 05:31 PM
great decision, but you know that. stick with it and best of luck.

sfer
05-05-2005, 05:36 PM
GL dooder. Wait till you meander into a bar and order a beer. The urge will be overwhelming.

ripdog
05-05-2005, 05:37 PM
I quit on the spur of the moment 17 years ago in a dance club. I didn't like the way my lungs felt and told my roommate that if he went out and did the gator, I'd quit for a year. He did it (I was quitting anyway) and people thought he was having a siezure. He left a clean spot on the dance floor. It was hilarious. The first night really sucked. I was on the second day of a 48 hour stretch of no sleep and really wanted a smoke bad. A pack cost $1.50 then. I recently stood in line at the grocery store behind a woman who paid $11.68 for two packs. If you're sick of smoking, quit. Only a chump would pay those prices to kill themselves anyway. You're not a chump are you?

Asufiji2004
05-05-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I smoked a pack and a half for 6 years

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really not that much over 6 years. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

About a drag a day. Like I said it was easy.

wacki
05-05-2005, 06:00 PM
http://www.webspawner.com/users/radioactivethreat/

Read and study it. If you stop now you are very very likely save yourself from a very horrible death.

When I quit, living in a nonsmoking apartment and hanging out in places that were nonsmoking was the best thing for me. If you feel weak, and need inspiration, call the hospital and ask to visit a local cancer ward.

good luck Buster.

Smokers lungs

Outside of cancer lung
http://www.haltthehabit.com/pictures/lung_disease_buergers_disease/lung_cancer_lung_002.jpg

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson26a.jpg

Healthy lung on left, smoker lung on right. It doesn't take much.

time is precious /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

wacki
05-05-2005, 06:04 PM
http://www.jhmodels.com/images/Zyban.jpg

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/zyban/zyban.htm

Blarg
05-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Congratulations on making the right decision, and good luck on following through on it.

Bluffoon
05-05-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so I have been smoking a pack per day for the past 8 years or so. During this time I have tried to quit and made it several days one time. To say I am heavily addicted to cigarettes is an understatement. Anyway, I bought some nicorette gum and informed my family that today was the first day I would go smoke free. So far it sucks. Symptoms include:

-inability to concentrate
-cold flashes
-tightening of the chest
-irritability
-fatigue

The point of this post is so that I can feel some responsiblity to stick with this. I dunno, it sure sucks. Take care.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do it man. It's not hard but you are going to be miserable for a long time. Just resign yourself to it. I was a pack a day for almost twenty years before I quit about four years ago. I still want to smoke but I decided I would die before I had another smoke.

Something that helped me.... I decided that I am not quitting for life. When I am 75 or so and all I can do is sit in a chair and watch the chicas walk by I am going to smoke my brains out. So what if you get lung cancer at 78.

Oh yeah I recommend doing it cold turkey. You are giong to have to break the nicotine addiction sooner or later so just suck it up and get it over with. Dont drag it out.

deacsoft
05-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Good luck, man. Normally I associate those who feel a need to tell everyone and gather some support with those who are not going to be able to quit. Then I just ignor the fact that they're trying to quit. However, in you're case I'll gladly make the acception.

I've been a pack-a-day smoker for years now, myself. I won't even kid myself into making a fruitless effort to quit at this time. But I would like to hang it up someday. I'm just not ready yet. PM me if you need some encouragement or a good kick in the ass. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Slacker13
05-05-2005, 06:59 PM
I am scheduled to go to quit123.com clinic in two weeks. Everyone I know that has gone quit with ease. They have a 93% success rate. They give you two FDA apporved shots that block not only your urge for a cig but most importantly blocks all withdraw symptoms.The guy who told me about it was a truck driver that smoked 3.5 - 4 packs a day, he said after the shots he had absolutely no desire or craving for a cig.
I don't know where your located but a flight to sunny south florida is much cheaper than the habit. Or they may have clinics in nearby states, i just know of the two clinics here in Florida.
Good luck. Hope you can quit.

woodguy
05-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Good decision and good luck!!

I tried many times to quit (I smoked 25-30 cigarettes a day for 18 years)

What really helped me after a few failed attempts was reading Allen Carr's "Easy way to quit smoking". The guy is a maniac, but he is right. I did go against his advice of going cold turkey, but other than that, the book really helped me understand nicotine addiction and its effect on the body.

I think understanding it has really help me beat it. The book is cheap too. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1402718616/qid=1115334286/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/102-4180323-1621701)

I was successful at quitting when I *decided to quit*, instead of hoping zyban, gum or the patch would quit for me.

When I finally decided to quit I used the patch to help.

Have now gone through all 3 levels of the patch and been off nicotine for 3 weeks and haven't had a smoke in almost 3 months.

Best feeling in the world!!! The extra lead in the pencil is worth the effort alone.

The cravings get less frequent and less intense. After a while you wonder what all the fuss was about.

If you need a recent ex-smoker to commiserate with, feel free to PM me.

You can do it, if you really want to.

Regards,
Woodguy

BusterStacks
05-05-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Normally I associate those who feel a need to tell everyone and gather some support with those who are not going to be able to quit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a fair association. In all honesty I probably will not be able to quit. I am certainly going to try though.

BusterStacks
05-05-2005, 07:13 PM
I don't want to "quit smoking", I want to be a non-smoker. To be quite honest, I have never had any ill effects from smoking, but I know they are out there. God I would kill for just ONE... I'M GONNA PULL MY HAIR OUT!!!

Keep in mind, this is WITH the gum...

woodguy
05-05-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't want to "quit smoking", I want to be a non-smoker

[/ QUOTE ]

Good, then all you have to do is not smoke.

I tend to see myself as an ex-smoker because I still get occasionally urges to smoke. I think of non-smokers as people who never smoked so they never get urges to smoke.....but that's all just semantics.

[ QUOTE ]
God I would kill for just ONE... I'M GONNA PULL MY HAIR OUT!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to smoke, then smoke.

You will be a non-smoker or ex smoker if you crave nicotine, but still do not want to smoke, and therefore you do not light one up, regardless of the mental compulsion to smoke.

The only thing a cigarette really does is make you want another one.

Regards,
Woodguy

balkii
05-05-2005, 07:43 PM
In all honesty I probably will not be able to quit. I am certainly going to try though.

This is a huge leak in your game. You have exactly 0% chance of successfully qutting with that mindset.

hogua
05-05-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to "quit smoking", I want to be a non-smoker. To be quite honest, I have never had any ill effects from smoking, but I know they are out there. God I would kill for just ONE... I'M GONNA PULL MY HAIR OUT!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Before reading this, I was ready to offer congrats on your decision and offer some advice. Specifically, I was going to tell you take it one day at a time. That it will get easier each day (after the first 3-5 days), and that you will never be completely free of the addiction. You can stop smoking for 20 years, but there will be momments when a craving will still hit you. When that happens, don't give into it. It will quickly pass. Never never smoke another cig... you will never be able to have "just one...just this one time" Addictions don't work that way.

However, after reading this post it it clear you are in denial. You cannot be a non-smoker unless you quit smoking. Even someone who smokes one cig a week is a smoker.

Quit fooling yourself. Realize that you are a smoker and take steps to become a non-smoker. You can do it, but you have to be honest with yourself first.

Anders_G
05-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Does "snus" excist outside of Sweden? A lot of swedes that quit smoking start using "snus" instead. It has it's backsides too when it comes to health-issues but it's not as bad as cigarettes.

http://www.swedishmatch.com/eng/Products_Brands/selectionofbrandssnuff.asp

What's the English word for the product? Snuff?

goofball
05-05-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In all honesty I probably will not be able to quit. I am certainly going to try though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You certainly will not be able to if you have that atitude.

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.

Listen to Yoda

bosoxfan
05-05-2005, 10:39 PM
I promise to smoke more in your honor.

LoaferGee12
05-05-2005, 10:51 PM
This is indirectly, quite the anti-smoking thread as well. GL

fluxrad
05-05-2005, 10:53 PM
I like what my buddy did. Quit cold turkey one day and I asked him how he did it.

"Simple," he said. "I don't put cigarettes in my mouth anymore."

I think that advice, more than anything, helped me when it came time for me to quit.

Talk2BigSteve
05-05-2005, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-BusterStacks

[/ QUOTE ]

What What WHAT???

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

OtisTheMarsupial
05-06-2005, 12:01 AM
Way to go!
You can do this!

I quit smoking 5 years ago. It was my 4th serious attempt. I had quit before for months and even a year once. Practice makes perfect, I say.

BTW, the first two weeks are the hardest, so give yourself a reward every single day for those two weeks. You will deserve it.

Congrats!

NickRegino
05-06-2005, 12:14 AM
Congrats on your first day, I wish I could quit, but I love to smoke.

IndieMatty
05-06-2005, 12:26 AM
Quiter.

deacsoft
05-06-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wish I could quit, but I love to smoke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know exactly how you feel.

BusterStacks
05-06-2005, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

F U Guys...

Shajen
05-06-2005, 09:31 AM
Every minute you last through the cravings is a minute longer you've quit.

The best advice I can give you is you have to have this mindset to quit:

You have to hate cigarettes and their hold on you. It's just a [censored] smoke, you know? Why does it make you feel so bad? Why do you crave them so damned much? They aren't doing anything but harming you.

Hate how they make you feel, Buster. Otherwise you are just treading water.

GL man, it can be tough. But it gets easier the longer you go.

texasholdemnut
05-06-2005, 09:37 AM
You'll be better after day 4, I quit once, slept for 3 days str8, only awoke to eat. Back on 2 packs a day, been doin it for 23 years, gearing up to try again. I wish they would outlaw the damn things.

PokerFink
05-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Goodluck Buster! And congrats to all the other x-smokers on this forum who have chimed in.

manpower
05-06-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does "snus" excist outside of Sweden? A lot of swedes that quit smoking start using "snus" instead. It has it's backsides too when it comes to health-issues but it's not as bad as cigarettes.

http://www.swedishmatch.com/eng/Products_Brands/selectionofbrandssnuff.asp

What's the English word for the product? Snuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Snus actually doesn't really exist outside scandanavia. According to Wikipedia it's illegal in most of the rest of europe. It's legal and I'm sure it could be obtained here in America, but I've never seen any Swedish brands on a storeshelf. We do have snuff here though, which I hear most commonly called chewing tobacco or 'dip' and tends to be more common in rural areas (it was quite popular when i was in high school 5 years ago). It's different from swedish snus in that it is fire-cured instead of steam-cured and is generally taken in the bottom lip. Also, Americans commonly consider chewing tobacco to be a pretty gross habit. linky. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco#Snuff)

DeezNuts
05-06-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wish they would outlaw the damn things.

[/ QUOTE ]

We all know that wouldn't solve anything.

DN

AncientPC
05-06-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

F U Guys...

[/ QUOTE ]

Over / under on 2 weeks. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Honestly good luck though, my dad was a heavy smoker until 10 years ago and it's horrible to see all the respiratory crap he goes through.

JackWilson
05-06-2005, 09:21 PM
I still live with my parents (still young OK?!?) and they don't know I smoke since after all the [censored] we've been through I don't really want to bring this up too...but anyway, when I go for long periods without smoking, like a couple of days, I find that I'm constantly snacking/eating, it's like a subconscious thing. I just go downstairs, grab something and repeat the process in a while. When you're on the gum, do you still get this?

jakethebake
05-07-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You'll be better after day 4, I quit once, slept for 3 days str8, only awoke to eat. Back on 2 packs a day, been doin it for 23 years, gearing up to try again. I wish they would outlaw the damn things.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hope this is a joke.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
05-07-2005, 05:07 AM
mmmmmmmmbuuummp!!!

ricochet420
05-08-2005, 02:17 AM
As an EX IV drug user, and a current smoker; I can tell you it was easier to quit sticking needles in my arm than it is to quit smoking cigs. HOLY FCKING SH1T MAN!![ QUOTE ]
As a non-smoker, I don't see why its difficult to quit. Of course I have no idea and thus am adding nothing to this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

ricochet420
05-08-2005, 02:18 AM
GOOD LUCK!

ripdog
05-10-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still feel like a smoker after 17 years, I just don't smoke. I'm sure I would enjoy the act of smoking and the instant gratification that it provides, but it ain't worth it. Plus, you'd have to go through quitting again at some later date, feeling like a loser for not being able to kick the habit, and having more doubts about your ability to quit when you try next time. Don't worry about "feeling like a non-smoker". One of my buddies tried this and quit for a few years, being a complete non-smoker nazi the whole time. You know, whining and complaining every time someone lit up a smoke in front of him, bumming smokes form people and breaking them in half, etc. He's now smoking again and looks like more of a loser becuase of his behavior.

So how goes the battle?

jakethebake
05-10-2005, 01:46 PM
How's it going, Buster? I'm rooting for you. Hang in there!

PokerGodess
05-10-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please give us an update Buster. I quit too after reading your post, I am on day 3 right now and all I can think about is those sweet sweet cancer sticks. I have 'quit' twice before (for 2 months and 1 month respectively) but as they say, third times the charm.

Just wondering if youre still off the wagon... or is it on the wagon?

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
05-10-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he lasted about 2.5 days.

jakethebake
05-11-2005, 08:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he lasted about 2.5 days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well don't quit the fight because of one little moment of weakness. Get back on the horse...errr...and I mean that figuratively. Heroin is not a good replacement for cigarettes.