PDA

View Full Version : Backgammon

NLSoldier
05-05-2005, 04:19 PM
It seems like a decent number of world class poker players played backgammon before poker. Do any of you guys play backgammon? I think the last time I played was when I was about 5 yrs old so I really have no clue how to play, but I would like to learn. Anyone that plays it want to play me on yahoo or something?

Sorry if this is bordering in too poker related for OOT, but I didn't know where else to put it.

Pocket Trips
05-05-2005, 04:22 PM
If i could make as much money playing gammon as i could at poker i would never play poker again i LOVE backgammon andwould be happy to teach you the game PM me if you want to play on yahoo or the zone.

NLSoldier
05-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Awsome!

PM sent.

Justin A
05-05-2005, 04:28 PM
I'll gladly dominate you in backgammon.

TStoneMBD
05-05-2005, 04:33 PM
i play backgammon on pogo.com and have a 3600 rating, which is pretty high for that site. i thought i was pretty good but then i picked up a backgammon book at barnes and nobles and realized that i know very little. some of the opening moves that i make arent even correct. if you want to learn, id say buy a book. youll dominate pogo if you do.

Pocket Trips
05-05-2005, 04:33 PM
anyone interested in a 2+2 gammon tourney this weekend?

fnord_too
05-05-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i play backgammon on pogo.com and have a 3600 rating, which is pretty high for that site. i thought i was pretty good but then i picked up a backgammon book at barnes and nobles and realized that i know very little. some of the opening moves that i make arent even correct. if you want to learn, id say buy a book. youll dominate pogo if you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have two of the Robertie (sp?) books, any others you reccomend?

TStoneMBD
05-05-2005, 04:37 PM
no i really have no idea. im not even sure who wrote the book that i purchased. its in my car right now. whoever he is, he claims to be one of the best in the world, whatever that means.

the book is easily outlined and is pretty much a quiz on correct moves. it asks what to do with '35' in a certain situation and tells you what the correct move is.

Blarg
05-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Backgammon is really great fun. I'm not into it anymore, but got a book an studied it a bit when I was a teenager. I used to play it for money a bit with some friends, and we had a great time. I'd have no idea what I was doing now, though.

They say that chess is a game for the middle class and that the rich play backgammon, so maybe learning it will get you in solid with Mr. Burns or something.

Pocket Trips
05-05-2005, 04:42 PM
there is an excellent free pprogram called "gnu backgammon" that supposedly beat even the snowie program.... DL it and put it on its highest seting... you will be creamed EVERY GAME and swear the program is fixed to roll the perfect roll every time.. but after awhile when you get over being so pissed off at the gsme and can analyze its moves rationally you see that it is just damn good... my win rate improved from 65% to close to 75% after playing this program for a month

chrisdhal
05-05-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry if this is bordering in too poker related for OOT, but I didn't know where else to put it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other Gambling

There are a fair number of backgammon related threads there. They pop up all the time there.

Robertie is considered one of the best BG authors (and co-authored Harrington on Hold Em). Magriel's (X22) "Backgammon" is considered a classic.

Get GnuBG and use it to learn. It has a "tutor" mode that is good.

Stupendous_Man
05-06-2005, 11:40 AM
I noticed this as well and was somewhat surprised. I played when I was younger and then picked it up again about 7 years ago, only to stop playing again a year or so later. Used to play a buddy on Yahoo Games about 7 years ago and was a decent player. Forget what my rating was and it's since been "deleted" or something. No activity for too long.

Thanks for the post and I'm interested in checking out the program a few people have mentioned. If a 2+2 or OOT tourney gets off the ground, I'd be interested.

Bluffoon
05-06-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have two of the Robertie (sp?) books, any others you reccomend?

[/ QUOTE ]

Magriel has the best BG book I have read. The best way to learn is with snowie. Its a backgammon program but it is about $350.00. I never purchased it but I have used someone else's copy and it analyzes every move you make and calculates the EV and lists alternatives and provides you with EV's for those too.

Bluffoon
05-06-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
anyone interested in a 2+2 gammon tourney this weekend?

[/ QUOTE ]

PM me with the where and when I will try to make it.