PDA

View Full Version : Not sure how to steal blinds and when to give up

Maurader1
05-05-2005, 03:32 PM
BB seems like decent player, 17/8, maybe a little tight/passive pf, nothing out of ordinary seen

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero??

Should I have folded to the 3bet on the flop? or even just give up after one bet? &lt;confused&gt;

atnels
05-05-2005, 03:40 PM
First question: Not suggesting this is right or wrong, but what is your reasoning for raising the flop?

Second: If your raise is just called and it's checked to you on the turn, are you betting again unimproved?

sexypanda
05-05-2005, 03:41 PM
I would check here and call a bet on the river.

It's situations like this where reads are very important. Is this guy capable of 3-betting the flop with nothing? Does he suffer from Fancy play syndrome and could he have trips here looking to check-raise you? When playing heads up you really need a feel for your opponent. My default line though is what I stated above.

Edit: Oh yea, and I'm not a huge fan of raising the flop here, it doesn't really accomplish anything. If he's bluffing, he can now get away from his hand. If he's not you just invested more money in a pot where you're a dog. Again, reads are very important.

istewart
05-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Stealing blinds with AKs is /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rosencrantz1
05-05-2005, 03:44 PM
With villain calling your PF raise AND betting out on the flop, I think you're probably behind here. The flop has missed you and the pot is small; I would just fold it on the flop.

sexypanda
05-05-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With villain calling your PF raise AND betting out on the flop, I think you're probably behind here. The flop has missed you and the pot is small; I would just fold it on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding the flop here is bad, in my opinion. Heads up against a random hand, your AK is the best hand more often than not. If you're going to fold every time someone bets into you on a rag flop, you're going to be giving up way too much money.

TomBrooks
05-05-2005, 04:06 PM
TURN: I think BB is going to try to checkraise you. I would check it through.

PS: On the flop, I don't like your raise.

Maurader1
05-05-2005, 04:09 PM
I raised the flop because I thought BB would auto bet the flop seeing the paired-low-card flop, and I guess I was *hoping* he would fold to the raise

I bet again on turn, UI

What do I do on the turn if I don't raise the flop, and am bet into again?

Anyone fold the flop?

Maurader1
05-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Hmm...never really considered this. At first thought I thought you were right, and should be playing this for value rather than stealing. But then I wondered, if I don't steal with my garbage hands, and I don't steal with my premium hands, then should I only steal with my medium hands? What range of hands would you steal with?

McGahee
05-05-2005, 04:14 PM
I doubt villian 3-bets the flop if he's going for the C/R on the turn. I also doubt that he hit anything on the flop, unless he has A6. He's just afraid he'll get raised again if he leads the turn. Of course, he could be passive enough to just be calling down with that 6. I'd check behind and call a river bet.

Maurader1
05-05-2005, 04:36 PM
This is an interesting point you brought up - not 3betting the flop when going for a c/r on the turn. I've found myself to play flops too aggressively with monsters and scaring opponents into checking the turn instead of betting them. As it turns out, I did bet the turn (which I realize now what a huge mistake it was) and folded to his c/r

NickRegino
05-05-2005, 04:53 PM
I dont' fold the flop, I usually just call the flop bet and check fold the turn UI.