PDA

View Full Version : LPPs and Turn Check/Raise

mage007
05-05-2005, 03:12 PM
Paradise Poker $0.10/$0.20. I've recently changed the time of day that I'm online so I don't have any detailed reads. In general the table is Loose Passive (unless it's me doing it, 3-betting is rare), with one LAG (seat 4), and one "broken raise button" (seat 2).

Seat 1: UTG
Seat 2: UTG+1
Seat 3: EP1 HERO
Seat 4: EP2
Seat 6: MP
Seat 7: LP
Seat 8: Button
Seat 9: SB
Seat 10: BB Villian

Dealt to HERO [As Kh]
2 folds, HERO Raises, EP2 Calls, 4 folds, Villian Calls

SOP for me.

*** FLOP *** : [ Qs Ac 8h ] (6.5 SB, 3 players)
Villian Checks, HERO Bets, EP2 Folds, Villian Calls

TPTK, slightly connected, bet out. Villian plays one or two notches above ATCs, (any A, mid connectors, Almost Any Suited).

*** TURN *** : [ Qs Ac 8h ] [ 9d ] (4.25 BB, HU)
Villian Checks, HERO Bets, Villian Raises, HERO Calls

And here's the question. Is this FPS on display? In my limited experience I find that a turn check/raise from LPPs generally indicates big hands (if it's good enough to bring them out of their shell, then it must be good). I think Villian would have re-raised AA pre-flop. Did he spike a set? This particular Villian took down several of my quality hands with sets. Straight? Villian has called PF-raises with mid-connecters. I don't think 2-pair is enough to get Villian to raise.

Or is this MUBS on my part and I should three bet?

*** RIVER *** : [ Qs Ac 8h 9d ] [ 8d ] (8.25 BB, HU)
Villian Bets, HERO Calls

Fold here? A second 8 either doesn't effect his hand (straight), or improves it further set to quads or FH.

Folding Aces up with TK for one bet doesn't sit well with me.

*** SUMMARY ***
Pot: $1.95 | Rake: $0.10 (7.75 BB)
Board: [ Qs Ac 8h 9d 8d ]

Results to be posted later.

Under what conditions should I 'respect' turn check/raises? Against known Loose Passives? known Tight Passives? Never?

I see this line alot from passive players (didn't have stats on this guy but from people with post flop Agression < 1) who catch trips often.

Should I have folded on the Turn given the variety of hands that beat me? Folding TPTK for one more bet doesn't sit well with me. Then again I think my biggest problem is staying in too long with beaten 'quality' hands.

scatter shot
05-05-2005, 05:39 PM
I've just moved up to .25/.50 on Paradise from .10/.20. This type of play is pretty typical. Few players seem to bet their hands pre-flop or on the flop - so you don't know if the turn card really helped or if they just woke up.

Without a read on the villian, the turn seems to be a fold/raise option. With the pot small, I'm tempted to fold.

Call on the river seems right.

topspin
05-05-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

*** TURN *** : [ Qs Ac 8h ] [ 9d ] (4.25 BB, HU)
Villian Checks, HERO Bets, Villian Raises, HERO Calls

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

*** RIVER *** : [ Qs Ac 8h 9d ] [ 8d ] (8.25 BB, HU)
Villian Bets, HERO Calls

Fold here? A second 8 either doesn't effect his hand (straight), or improves it further set to quads or FH.

[/ QUOTE ]

The board pairing helps you if he was holding Q9 and made two pair on the turn.

I think you're committed to seeing a showdown here.