PDA

View Full Version : I just played Daniel N in a TV headsup match....and WON!!!

PokerPaul
05-05-2005, 03:06 PM
let me explain:

one of those home improvement reality shows is currently filming an episode on our basement renovation. Of course, being the poker player i am they are also designing a poker area for it with tables etc.

So we were iniitially supposed to go to the games room store to film a segment as we select and purchase the poker table and accessories. But instead, they tell me to meet them at a bar downtown for a lunch interview TV segment instead.

well i get there, and the makeup girl gets me ready, they attach my soundpiece, and they say the designers are sitting at a poker table in the back and for me to go sit down and show them how to play and to talk about the game.

So the cameras are rolling, i walk to the far back where i see the TV crew and cameramen, bright lights, and a dealer sittting at a poker table with the 3 designers. Very professional looking.

I walk up to them and notice 1 more blondish guy with his back to me sitting at table. I sit in open seat next to him and as i do so he turns around and its Daniel Negranu.

I'm flabbergasted, and they catch the look of surprise on my face. Anyways, all 5 of us play and chat about poker and how the poker area should be designed.

Then they setup a headsup match between me and Dan.

1000 each, blinds starting at 15/25

To make a long story short, i play well, but he is pretty tough, but in the end i beat him. Was a friendly game, but it got quite competitive, Dan N trash talked me a bit to throw me off, but in the end i had him out chipped 1750 - 250, when i look at A3 suited and go allin preflop.

He calls with AK....i hit a 3 on the board and win. To my surprise, daniel seems momentarily genuinely pissed about both me winning , and the suckout if you will on the final hand that he spikes the cards on the felt and yells DAMNN.

Was a bit surprised at that but i guess its his competitive nature.

He was very nice though with the crew there and me, and they also taped a Q&A session with me and him where i could ask him any poker advice or anything. I was on the spot and didnt have any questions prepared so i was caught a bit offguard.

Anyways, was very cool and me and Dan talked a bit afterwards off camera as well.

Can't wait till this airs.

Vincent Lepore
05-05-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can't wait till this airs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me Too! Congradulations! You da man! Did they do the basement for free? Hey +EV is +EV!

Vince

MaxPower
05-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Well done. Next you can take on his $100,000 challenge.

Lurshy
05-05-2005, 03:37 PM
We better be reading about this on Daniel's Blog /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wingnut
05-05-2005, 03:45 PM
what show is this for? My wife is a big home renovation show fan and a Daniel N fan. Any idea of when it will air?

PokerPaul
05-05-2005, 03:53 PM
its for a show called the "designer guys". Its huge in canada and its the third season now, and it airs in 30 countries, but i don't think the US is one of them. don't know why.

Its due to air in late october

Vincent Lepore
05-05-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its huge in canada

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I thought it was real TV. sorry.

Vince

NoTalent
05-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Wow that is really sweet. Post some pictures of how the basement turned out for us in the US that don't get this show on TV.

Benal
05-05-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its for a show called the "designer guys". Its huge in canada

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I never heard of it.

Oski
05-05-2005, 04:55 PM
More fuel for the fire: Dan N. is into interior decorating.

Kevmath
05-05-2005, 06:24 PM
Looks like they're on HGTV in Canada, and Discovery Home in the US.

Kevin...

Oilcan
05-05-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
..it got quite competitive, Dan N trash talked me a bit to throw me off, but in the end i had him out chipped 1750 - 250, when i look at A3 suited and go allin preflop.

He calls with AK....i hit a 3 on the board and win. To my surprise, daniel seems momentarily genuinely pissed about both me winning , and the suckout if you will on the final hand that he spikes the cards on the felt and yells DAMNN.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to buy this on dvd and make it my new video avatar! /images/graemlins/grin.gif j/k

drexah
05-06-2005, 08:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
More fuel for the fire: Dan N. is into interior decorating.

[/ QUOTE ]

boy thats a surprise

Smoothcall
05-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Wow, maybe daniel isn't as good as he thinks he is. Sure it was for fun. But by his reaction he was trying to win. He's da man but he can't beat one of his fans? especially at 25-50 blinds and 1k in chips. Would look like easy work to me.

PokerPaul
05-06-2005, 03:02 PM
lol...

i don't think im easy work, thanks for the confidence lol.

although i must say i think daniel did underestimate me. I told him i am primarily an internet player, and he doesnt really hold them in hi regard.

Furthermore, he also admitted that evry poker player EVERY one, thinks they are better than they actually are...so we are all guilty of that.

Smoothcall
05-06-2005, 03:24 PM
I wasn't saying it as a knock on you. My point being you are supposed to be easy work for someone who is claiming to be one of the best in the world. Even if you were a very good player. But most likely you are not very good as you ddint claim to play for a living or anything. Again i guessyou could be. But still should be easy work for a man of daniel's ability. Or so he claims of his ability.

Don't feel to bad he ddint hold you in high regard. daniel doesn't hold anyone in high regard except for himself and his pal jennifer harman. So he can get brownie points.

This statement may be true. But some are in deeper delusions than others. Like i may think i'm better than i am and think i'm better than that unknown over there. Where daniel will think he is better than most on the planet. And i'm referring to live games. In reality there are many solid pros in the middle limits that play limit holdem for example much better than daniel. How can i prove this? well i can't becasue daniel never played these guys or grinded out his living like these guy's have. He has made most of his money from tournaments. But its a good guess that they play better becasue they have been making a living doing it for years while daniel was rich form tourney's, then broke from live games, and then looking for loans. You see as much as he wants to believe he is great, and wants the public to believe he is great. The real truth is he is just another player who has enough money to play high when it comes to live games. Jmo.

PokerPaul
05-06-2005, 09:26 PM
i didnt take it the wrong way, and i agree, to Dan i should have been very beatable, and if we did the same thing 100 more times he'd likely win more than i would.

i don't think he was implying anything about me in particular, but just about internet players playing in big live tounreys.

Anyways, i invited him to my place for a rematch in the renovated basement once its done and he agreed he'd try drop by when he's in town. Apparatly his brother lives in my area as well.

Sponger15SB
05-07-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
daniel never ... grinded out his living like these guy's have. He has made most of his money from tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) wrong
2) you don't know that

Trix
05-08-2005, 01:39 AM
Maybe he doesn´t consider live 10/20, 20/40 for two years grinding..

With a bold statement like the above, this guy obviously knows it better..

Spook
05-08-2005, 12:42 PM
it is up on his blog
[ QUOTE ]
I was doing a Canadian show called Designer Guys. One of those makeover type shows where they remodel somebody’s house.

Gord got me there on time and they were shooting from a very trendy new hot spot in Toronto called, “The Lobby.” The idea behind having me there was that one of their clients wanted to have a poker themed basement so I was there to help with some ideas. The client, named Rav a “semi-pro” player from Toronto had no idea I’d be there. He thought he was just meeting the Designer guys to talk about the project.

They had a table set up, complete with chips, cards, and a dealer. Before Rav got there I busted the Designer Guys a couple of times, but of course it was all just play money. When Rav finally got there I had my back turned so he couldn’t see me. He exchanged greetings with everybody, and then sat down next to me.

He did a little double take, and then said, “You’re Daniel Negreanu!” Of course, I already knew that J We played for a little while and the piece went pretty well overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

dlk9s
05-08-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its for a show called the "designer guys". Its huge in canada and its the third season now, and it airs in 30 countries, but i don't think the US is one of them. don't know why.

Its due to air in late october

[/ QUOTE ]

It airs in the US - as somebody said, it's on Discovery. When I was in grad school from 2002-2004, I would sometimes watch it during the day. Those guys definitely know what they are doing. Now that I am scheduled to close on my first house in a couple weeks, I wouldn't mind if they did a show at my house!

Congrats - one great thing turned into another!

Smoothcall
05-08-2005, 03:24 PM
Oh really? And how would you know? Are you trying to tell me everybody but you doesn't know most of his bankroll is from the 4 or 5 million he won in tournaments last year or 2? Or at least more than he has won in live game? Please you are dreaming if you think otherwise. If he was doing so good in live games before he had the big year where was all the money? He was broke and in debt to his friends. Yeah sounds like he was crushing the live games LOL.

Smoothcall
05-08-2005, 03:25 PM
huh?

Trix
05-09-2005, 07:03 AM
http://groups.google.dk/groups?hl=da&lr=&selm=8gjb8s%2482e%241%40nnrp1.dej a.com&rnum=4

Sry man, I was wrong, wasn´t 2 years, but SIX. Guess I should have known with a smart reply like "huh?" ..

Smoothcall
05-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Notice it doesn't tell an hourly rate. For how many hours did he play the big games. Important stuff like that. The only thing that gives an indication of his abilty is that he had to go back and forth from 10-20 to 20-40. Well why was he going back and forth if he was beating the game? Most good players i know dont go backward. That means they are not doing well.

Another thing. He played 10-20,15-30, or 20-40 for 4 years in toronto. Yet when he got to vegas he would keep getting knocked back down to 10-20. I don't know of too many good limit holdem players that wouldn't have increase there bankroll significantly in 4 years of play. And knowing how daniel is with his moving up quickly and underbankrolled it is somewhat safe to assume that he had no more money once in vegas at 21 after 4 years of play then he had before. As he was playing lower in veags back to 10-20. This is signs of a wanna be pro.

Next he is still in vegas struggling between 10-20 and 20-40. Then it goes quicker and we don't here any results or hours played again just that he started moving up fast(could this be when he won his first wsop and had some dough in his pocket?). What i find funny is after all this live limit success, and all those early tournament wins when he started out, that he didn't have a dime to his name (and oweing alot of money to his friends) until a 2 or 3 years ago. So where did all the money go. Why was Daniel broke? Yeah he must have been killing the live games LOL. Please! He can't even blame it on drugs as he has never touched the stuff. So where did it go?

How is that for an educated response? Care to answer that question? Where did it all go? Not only that where did it all go, but why wasn't it double or triple the bankroll couple years later if he was killing the live games and so good in tournies? He should been a millionaire instead he was dead broke. Interesting huh? So answer that. Where did it all go?

MaxPower
05-09-2005, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What i find funny is after all this live limit success, and all those early tournament wins when he started out, that he didn't have a dime to his name (and oweing alot of money to his friends) until a 2 or 3 years ago. So where did all the money go. Why was Daniel broke? Yeah he must have been killing the live games LOL. Please! He can't even blame it on drugs as he has never touched the stuff. So where did it go?

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to his website and read the articles. He explains what happened to his bankroll after his early tournament wins. He did lose much of it in live games and alcohol was part of the problem.

I'm not sure why anybody cares. Like most people he has had some ups and downs. He is doing great now - good for him.

Smoothcall
05-09-2005, 12:56 PM
I am happy he is doing great. Good for him. I'm just pointing out he has not had the live game success many want to believe because danny is there hero. And i probably wouldn't point it out and let it go if it wasn't for his arrogance that he continously opens his mouth about how great he thinks he is. When he is totally unproven in live games imo.

Bubbagump
05-09-2005, 01:34 PM
I haven't read every response to your post so I apologize if anybody has already mentioned this. I just noticed that DN mentioned your heads up match on one of his recent blog entries.

I think it's kind of funny that in the entry he glossed over the fact that he didn't win. I don't think DN is a bad guy like many people here do, but I think that had he won the match, that fact definately would have made it into the entry some how.

Bubbagump

LinusKS
05-10-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read every response to your post so I apologize if anybody has already mentioned this. I just noticed that DN mentioned your heads up match on one of his recent blog entries.

I think it's kind of funny that in the entry he glossed over the fact that he didn't win. I don't think DN is a bad guy like many people here do, but I think that had he won the match, that fact definately would have made it into the entry some how.

Bubbagump

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.

Nothing on Daniel - but it's funny how that part didn't make it in.

I wonder if you asked 100 pros what they've won, and then audited them, how far apart the two numbers would be.

For that matter, I wonder what the difference would be here on 2+2.