PDA

View Full Version : Too Tight?

jpg7n16
05-05-2005, 02:52 PM
So here's a hand for you guys and I'm wondering if I played too tightly PF on this one.

Single Table Live Tourney: Blinds now were t150-t300

(rough estimates... I didn't ask a chip count)
Button ~t3000 (tight PF, aggressive postflop but likes to bluff a lot)
SB ~t5000 (very tight PF, good tourney player)
BB ~t3000

Hero is BB and is dealt A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Button raises to 700
SB Raises to 2000
BB folds

We all three play together a lot and each of us knows how the other plays. My other friend who busted out of the tourney in about 5th or 6th out of 9 told me that this play was way too tight PF and that I should have gone all-in 3-handed.

I'll post my rationale after I hear some feedback.

david050173
05-05-2005, 04:45 PM
I think folding here is good. It is likely that the SB either has you dominated or coinflipping. There always the slight chance of AT or A9 depending on how tight the SB is. Given the button could also have a real hand and I am not super short stacked, I fold and hope to get my chips when I can be the aggressor. I am assuming this is a standard sng payout scheme. If it only paid out first I would have to think about it a bit more.

Noel Montgomery
05-05-2005, 05:08 PM
Good fold IMO.

RiverTheNuts
05-05-2005, 07:29 PM
good fold, let them go at it and you're second with a decent chance at winning... if you push you are flipping about 30% of the time, dominated about 50% of the time, and ahead about 20%, IMO

jpg7n16
05-06-2005, 03:07 PM
3 for 3 in favor so far. Looks good enough for me.

I've been thinking that people's opinion on this matter is a good indicator of how loose/tight you play. You fold, you are tight, you play or go all in, you are loose. IMO anyways.

My actual thinking was since there were only 3 left and the 1500 raise was the majority of Button's stack. Since there was a chance that I was dominated already or behind to a pair, that I should go ahead and fold. That was reinforced when I considered that Button would for sure at least call the bet since I knew he liked his hand somewhat and will usually call a reraise PF with a hand he has already shown strength with.

The flop came Axx then two blanks and they both checked it down.

Button had QJs
SB had KK

I would have won, but my fold PF was actually the right move.