PDA

View Full Version : Zee question

soonerorlater
05-05-2005, 02:27 PM
Am I falling prey to reason #5?

I've recently decided to take a shot at the 10/20 B&M. Given the general uncertainties when moving up, 20-25 BB's is about all I am willing to lose in a given session. This stops me from blowing my bankroll, but also stops me from logging any significant playing time. Make a few losing hands in a row to start a session and the day is basically over.

And so my question is this: Is it prudent to limit your play in this manner when moving up, or is my reluctance to lose dooming this shot to failure?

Thank you for any thoughts.

thirddan
05-05-2005, 03:48 PM
im not zee, but if you are only willing to risk 20-25BB when moving up then you aren't really giving yourself a chance...swings of this size are not even really swings, but are just part of playing sessions...they happen in the course of hours, which is nothing...i think that even taking a shot with 50BB might not be enough...100 is probably enough to give yourself a fighting chance...

YouGotBluffed
05-05-2005, 06:56 PM
I have learned the hard way. It is much better to wait until you can afford to play higher limits safely without fear of going broke. If you have any doubts about moving up to another limit, don't do it.

soonerorlater
05-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify, the 20-25 BB limit is per session. This sounds like a plain-jane bankroll question, but for me it's a little bit different.

Let's assume that 25 BB's per session is not enough to consistently play the 10/20. Will limiting yourself in this manner when first breaking through to a new limit preclude you from success?

My gut feeling is yes, it will. Then again, running headlong into a new limit seems irresponsible and foolhardy.

Which is better?
Knowingly placing yourself in a suboptimal position in order to gain experience, or,
Knowingly placing yourself in a position you perceive to be optimal before gaining enough experience to know if you're correct.

Thanks

Ray Zee
05-05-2005, 11:11 PM
when moving up keep your loses small. nothing wrong with that. only play in games that are good for your style and quit whenever you are uncomfortable. you can always go back. by limiting your loses to 20 or so bets you will leave loser alot of times but you will win lots also. but you get to play at your best and get a feel if you are really a favorite at that limit. go for it.

soonerorlater
05-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks a bunch for the advice.

My feeling after 50 or so hours is that I'm probably a slight dog vs. the tight regulars, but a favorite vs. the 2 or 3 bad players that seem to be in each game. Feeling more comfortable after every session though, so I'm going to keep plugging away.

Thanks again.

mmcd
05-07-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
im not zee, but if you are only willing to risk 20-25BB when moving up then you aren't really giving yourself a chance...swings of this size are not even really swings, but are just part of playing sessions...they happen in the course of hours, which is nothing...i think that even taking a shot with 50BB might not be enough...100 is probably enough to give yourself a fighting chance...

[/ QUOTE ]

I can count the times I've been stuck more than 50 bets in a single live session on 1 hand. For whatever reason I swing MUCH bigger online, but, at least for me, live poker seems to have pretty low varience per session.